This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rod's Log

Started by Rod Abbott, August 10, 2008 · 32 Replies · 3,311 Views

Rod Abbott

Deck Squats: 3 x 5

Bicycle Situps: 3 x 75 (supersets)

WOD 100705

Given space and physical limitations I adapted today's WOD pretty well.

Archups: 3 x 10

RLL: 3 x 10 (weighted 5 lbs each leg) (supersets)

****************************

L.A. School of Gymnastics (7/5/10, 7:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.)

After a warm up I did my first cartwheel and felt pain in my left forearm. Last week my forearms were very sore from the repeated handstands and cartwheels. The pain is muscular and not structural and limited to hand movements that stretch the forearm, but does not effect gripping, pulling, and pushing that doesn't involve pushing the fingers. I was able to workout my abs, do ring work, and some pushing exercises. Productive despite the pain. Iced.

7/6/10 (morning update): left forearm pain is, again, limited to certain extending movements but not gripping, etc. There appears slight swelling. Iced.

Rod Abbott

Barefoot (concrete): a solid and pain-free run. I was expecting my feet to be more sore from Sunday's run but not at all. Map

My forearm pain is not allowing today's WOD 100706. Stretching and icing instead. I think there may be a pinched nerve involved.

**************************

Barefoot run #2 (concrete & asphalt): 2 miles in under 19 minutes.

My left forearm is still sore especially with flexed palm; slight redness and slightly swollen. Iced and light stretching.

Rod Abbott

Barefoot Run: ~4.2 miles; concrete & asphalt; pace last 2.2 miles 9.03. Map & Details

Forearm Update: slight pain remains with certain wrist flexion, but much improved. Light-yellow sub-dermal discoloration from elbow to about 6 inches.

*********************

Modified WOD 100708 integrated with L.A. School of Gymnastics workout (7:30 to 9 p.m.).

Coach Yefim Furman examined my forearm and thinks I might have strained a tendon and/or ruptured a blood vessel given the discoloration. The way it looks he was surprised the injury was not cause by blunt force trauma. That I can grip, use the rings, and do modified pushing exercises is positive. Advice: ice and work around it.

On the whole it was a good workout.

Rod Abbott

July 9, 2010, Friday

Modified version of 100709 WOD. While limiting my handstand work, I did some focus on legs and did several sets of deck squats Thursday night. I did 5 instead of 10 sets of jumping deck squats; and, since I lacked equipment. I substituted general running for the sled/tire sprints.

July 10, 2010, Saturday

Archups: 3 x 10

RLL: 3 x 10 (weighted 5 lbs each leg) (supersets)

Rod Abbott

July 12, 2010, Monday

2 mile barefoot run (22 minutes)

Los Angeles School of Gymnastics: Still nursing a sore (but healing) left forearm. I did several sets of ring-work (inverted pulls, German hangs, ring L-sits hanging), handstands, HeSPU, pull-ups, dips, bridge presses, etc.

Rod Abbott

July 13, 2010, Tuesday

Barefoot Run (concrete, asphalt, & occasional grass) 3.54 miles: today's run was tough. The ground was hot and my soles quickly sored. One day I'm zipping around the neighborhood, the next I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing. Good pace though :-)

Resting from last night's workout.

July 14, 2010, Wednesday

Core exercise (circuit): bicycle sit ups, weighted leg ups, leg raises, oblique raises, supermans, abs wheel.

Rod Abbott

July 14, 2010, Thursday

Minimal Shoe Runs: 4.19 miles [Details]

Los Angeles School of Gymnastic

Warm up; handstand, cartwheel drills; rings work; dips; HeSPU (4 x 10); BL tuck/FL tuck; abs.

Tore a left-hand callous and drew blood on a skinned toe. Blood and sweat. Sweet.

Rod Abbott

For the past two weeks I've focused on conditioning basics and running. Except for going only once last week, I've been going to the Los Angeles School of Gymnastics twice weekly focusing on the rings, HeSPU, HSPU, and overall conditioning. I've decided to restart Coach Sommer's WOD in the next few weeks after I continue to establish a solid base. My forearms have adjusted to the demands of handstands and cartwheels.