This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rod's Log

Started by Rod Abbott, August 10, 2008 · 32 Replies · 3,311 Views

Rod Abbott

8/8/08, Friday

Jump Rope - 3 mins x 3

3 mile hill walk

8/9/08, Saturday

BW Squats - 40x1

Step Ups - 25 each leg

Glute/Ham Raise - 15x1

HSPU (assisted from exer ball)* - 10, 8, 6

Wall Handstand - 30s hold

Leg Raises - 9, 6, 4

Abs Pushdown (pushing lower back flat in crunch position) - hold for 30s

Bridge Hold - 30s

*If anyone could comment: I used to be able to do headstand pushups (<5) but got rusty. I am now using the exercise ball to take some of leg weight as I lean over it and pushup from a tucked position. Is this wise or should I work with negatives and isometric holds in a headstand/handstand position?

Rod Abbott

8/10/08, Sunday

Warm Up

Frog Stand - 2s (lost balance and pitched forward on mat), 24s, 10s x 3

Comment: very shaky; top of hands sore, varied position; stayed tense throughout

Tuck Front Lever - 30s x 2

Comment: strong on both counts, much stronger than frog stand

L-sit (tuck): ave 10s x 6

Comment: struggle but solid arm extention

Hanging Bar Stretch: 30s x 2

Cool Down

Rod Abbott

8/11/08, Monday

Warm Up

-Dips

-BW Rows

-Hanging Leg Raises

-*(Don't the name of it) Hang from bar and bring my legs up and around towards the sand twisting my shoulders. I then bring myself back up to hanging position.

-Pole Climbing

---

Did all this at this the really cool Santa Monica outdoor gymnastics area near the pier. Very inspiring. People were doing handstands, flips, mups, etc. I spent quite a bit of time watching technique.

Rod Abbott

8/12/08, Tuesday

Push Ups (feet elevated) - 15, 14, 10, 10, 10, 10

Pullups - 4, 4, 4, 3 Pullups 3, 3

Comment: alternated between Pushups/Pullups with at a least a 1:20 rest between sets

Hanging Leg Raises - 15, 7, 10, 6

Comment: hands gave out

Plank - 60s

Blairbob

Rod, try your HSPU like this

http://drillsandskills.com/images/articles/plpuext4s.jpg

Using parallettes would be harder so start with just off your hands even if it is not a full ROM. I don't see the point in doing an isometric hold of a handstand though at some point you should be able to hold a HeS for some time. HS for time on wall and negatives would be good. If you can't do HSPU this way try doing decline pushups at 30 or 45 degrees.

Rod Abbott

Blairbob,

Prior to using the exercise ball prop, I would do presses from a standing pike which have become easy. Elevating my feet and maintaining a vertical torso (as in the picture) will definitely place a better load on my shoulders as I strive for the full HSPU. I'll let you know it goes.

Thank you so much for your help.

Rod

Rod Abbott

8/13/08, Wednesday

Rest

8/14/08, Thursday

Warm up

BW Squats - 20, 40

Glute/Ham Raises - 17

Dips - 3x10

BW Rows - 3x10

Leg Raises - 20, 15, 15

BW Calf Raises - 50

Cool Down

Rod Abbott

8/14/08, Thursday

PM

Handstands - 2 x 30s

Headstand - 45s

Abs Work

Wrist Work

Stretching

Rod Abbott

8/15/08, Friday

Warmup with emphasis on wrist and forearms.

Pushups 10 (high elevation), 10 (med elev), 10 (low), 10 (floor), 10 (med), 10 (high)

Pullups 4, 4, Chinups 4, 3, Pullups 4, 3

Performed supersets with 1.5 to 2 minutes rest between exercise

Bridge 60s

Stretching

Since I have uneven strength I am postponing my planche/lever progressions until my dip & pullup numbers improve. However, I like to do a static semblance of the frog stand to continue to acclimate the muscles and to do a tuck front lever since I can hold this for 60s in only 2 sets.

I ordered the Xtreme Rings today so I can wait to get them and see the improvement.

Rod Abbott

8/16/08, Saturday

Warm up

One-legged Step up - 2 x 25 each leg

Piked HSPU - 7, 7, 4, 8, 8

Abs work

---

8/17/08, Sunday

Rest

---

8/18/08, Monday

A.M.

Walk/Sprinted 4 miles - Time: 1 hour (Sprinting totaled 10 minutes)

P.M.

Dips from waist-high pullup bar - 10, 10, 10

Dips - 10, 10

BW Rows - 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 (various grips)

*Superset with ~2 min rest between sets

Cool Down

Rod Abbott

8/19/08, Tuesday

Pushups - 15 (norm), 10 (elev), 14 (e), 14 (n), 12 (n)

*various widths

Pullups - 5 (norm), 5 (wide); Chinups - 4 (norm); PU - 5 (narrow); CU - 5 (narrow); PU - 4 (norm)

*superset

Full BW Squats - 20, 20, 20

HLR (bent knee) - 12, 10, 15

*superset

Glute/Ham Raises - 14, 12 (slight pain in rear knee)

Wheel (on knees, full forward extension) - 6, 10

Bridge - 30s

Hip Extensions (on stability ball) - 2 x 25

Handstand (wall assisted) - 30s

Headstand - 60s

Toe Raises - 50

Note: also have been doing bear crawls throughout the day(s).

Rod Abbott

8/20/08, Wednesday

Walk/Sprinted 4 miles - Time: 1 hour (Sprinting totaled 7.5 minutes)

*my sprint time was ~3 min. less but on the whole more intense and faster.

Halfway through I did 10 jump ups (~18 inches) on a park bench seat.

Rod Abbott

8/21/08, Thursday

Dips - ~10 reps

BW Rows from midline pullup bar - 10 reps

* 5 supersets with ~2min rest

Plank 1x60s

Comment: a little tired so kept things lighter

Rod Abbott

8/22/08, Friday

My Xtreme Rings arrived today!!! They are easy to set up and adjust quickly.

Warmup

Pushups - 7 on the rings about 4" off the floor; 20 widegrip on floor; 15 elevated on floor; 6 rings; 18 Hindu pushups.

Pullups - 7, 6; Chinups - 6, 7

*superset with ~2 to 3 min rest.

Comments: movement more explosive and fluid today, reps increased, one less set to compensate. I was able to pumped out 20 pushups off the floor, but only 6 & 7 off the rings. On the rings I kept control but, boy, did my arms shake. On the whole my body felt lighter.

V-ups - 2x10

HLR (bent knee) - 20

Toe Raises - 50

Handstand - 2x30s

Headstand - 60s

Bridge - 30s

Stretch/Cool Down

Rod Abbott

8/23/08, Saturday

REST

---

8/24/08, Sunday

HIIT - 30-45 sec/2 to 3 min x 6 sets

Shin Ups - 3x40

*Was able to hold a hanging-L for 20 seconds.

Rod Abbott

8/25/08, Monday

Walk - 6.5 miles

Comment: a bit tired today

---

8/26/08, Tuesday

Dips on Xtreme Rings - 6, 5, 5, 5

Comment: tough, tough, tough. Much harder than dips on parallel bars.

Pullups - 6, 6; Chinups - 6; Pullups - 5 (wide grip); Chinups - 5

*supersets with ~2 min rest btw sets

Handstand - 3 x 30s

Comment: usually I felt heavy and struggled to stay up, but today as I stood on my hands I was able to lift myself as if from my shoulder sockets. Definitely felt lighter and more in control.

Headstand - 2 x 60s

Comment: early on I struggled to kick my legs up, but today I easily lifted my legs into the stand and for most of the minute without wall assistance.

Toe Raises - 2 x 60

Toe Ups - 2 x 45

Comment: since focusing on shin work I've noticed certain knee discomfort diminish.

Wrist work

Rod Abbott

I've neglected my log!

Late August I moved 106 yards of books from one room to another. My forearms screamed for days after. September 3rd, full-time college started.

But throughout the month I've been walking alot (70 miles since the 5th) and continuing the foundational exercises with good gains.

Rod Abbott

Over the past several months I've engaged in routine BW exercise, but I'm glad to finally resume Gymnastic Strength Training™.

Tuesday, 8/11/09

Static Holds

Frog stands: 10, 10, 15, 12, 18, 12 (80 secs)

BL tucks: 6, 4, 6, 6, 5, 6, 8, 7, 8 (56 secs)

FL tucks: 10, 20, 15, 10 (55 secs)

HS hold: 30, 30 (59 secs)

Wednesday, 8/12/09

HS hold: 25, 20, 20, 20 (85 secs)

Nursing a sore left elbow. Have avoided FBE for the past few days.

Rod Abbott

Thursday, 08/13/09

Static Holds

Planche - Frog stand: 15, 15, 15, 15 (60 secs) (shaky)

BL tuck: 15, 15, 15, 8, 8 (61 secs) (tough)

L-sit PB tuck: 40, 25 (65 secs) (solid)

FL tuck: 20, 20, 20 (60 secs) (solid)

Handstand: 40, 30, 30 (100 secs) (strong)

FBE

Pushups (elevated feet): 5x7

Rows - XR ground: 5x7

Wrist pushups: 2x10

30 minute walk/run

Rod Abbott

Friday, 8/14/09

1 hour walk

1 hour swim throwing and fighting off two kids (killer!)

Saturday, 8/15/09

Static holds (FSP)

Planche - Frog stand: 15, 15, 15, 15 secs (lightly supported head to keep from pitching forward)

BL - tuck: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 secs (tougher today)

L-Sit - PB tuck: 15, 15, 15, 20 secs (shaky)

FL - tuck: 20, 20, 20 (solid)

FBE

Pullups (supersets): 1, 2, 3, 2, 1

Dips (supersets): 5, 3, 3, 3, 3 (emphasis on negatives with slight jumps on final two sets. Slight pain in left elbow.)

---

Leg raises (straight): 7, 12, 10

Leg raises (bent knees): 12, 12, 12, 12 (+13th rep a several sec hold)

Wrist ups: 20, 20, 20

Rod Abbott

Sunday, 8/16/09

Static Holds

Frog stand: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 secs

BL tuck: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 secs

L-sit (PB low): 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 secs

FL tuck: 15, 15, 15, 15 secs

Handstand (hold): 35, 25 secs

Comments: tinkering with set times as I determine max hold times and subsequent set hold times.

FBE

Rows XR elevated (superset): 4, 3, 3

HeSPU box (superset): 5, 4, 3

---

V-ups tuck (superset): 5, 5, 5

BW Squats (superset): 20, 20, 20

Natural Leg Curls: 5, 5, 5 [used considerable assistance of arms]

---

Wristups: 20, 20, 5, 5 [first two sets on knees; last two more weight placed on wrists]

Rod Abbott

Monday, 8/18/09

✔Basic training routine from Ido Portal

✔✔Ido's videos of the various movement listed below

Comment: the routine below is shortened version of the original. A great prehab routine which supplements nicely my work with Coach's book.

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

Floreio Basic Workout - beginner

Warm Up - Mobility

A1. 5 min jump rope

A2. Wrists Routine X 1 set

A3. Ido's Squat Clinic Routine X 1 set

A4. Shoulder ROM and Stabilization routine X 1 set

A5. Slide Into Low Bridge X 30 sec hold

A6. Rotations Into Arch Using The Wall X 10 reps

Singular Movement Polish

B1. QDR Rotational Push Ups X 14 reps / 1 sets

C1. High Bridge Hold X 35 sec

C2. Rotations Into Arch Using The Wall X 14 reps

D1. Au Cortado X 14 reps / 1 sets

Extra Mobility Cool Down

F1. Shoulder ROM and Stabilization routine

F2. Ido's Squat Clinic Routine

F3. Scapula Mobilization Routine

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

Rod Abbott

WOD 07/01/10

******************

Static Holds:

Frog Stand Planche: 30, 30 seconds

Front Lever (tuck): 30, 30 seconds

Back Lever (tuck): 15, 7, 7, 7, 7 seconds

Manna (MSH - "middle split hold"): 20, 10, 12 seconds

Handstands (against wall): 30, 16, 24, 24 seconds

******************

Monday I started the adult classes at the Los Angeles School of Gymnastics in Culver City. It was a blast and tough. We focused on handstands, cartwheels, backflips using the "boulder", and general conditioning. We were given the run of the place. My forearms and hips are still sore from the repeated work. I return tonight.

******************

Noonish: Barefoot run (concrete & asphalt): 2 miles

******************

Tonight: L.A. Gymnastics (led by Coach Yefim Furman) (90 minutes): warm up, handstands, various drills, conditioning, etc. While doing handstands I got a muscle spasm in my right gluteus maximus which really limited my lower body work. Coach Furman helped me isolate and stretch the area, but didn't think it was anything serious: just stretch and ice.

Rod Abbott

WOD 100702

I dramatically adapted it, but I think I captured its spirit.

*****************************

My right hip is still sore, but definitely better than yesterday.

Rod Abbott

Total: 6.39 mi, 1 hour 9 minutes, 10:46 pace

Barefoot run (~4.5 miles): asphalt and concrete. I purposely took it easy this week and minimized my barefoot running because last week my soles were chronically sore and my Achilles tendons were starting to tighten. So today was a test to see if my patience and rest paid off. On the whole the run was great. Except for an exceptional effort in March, today was my longest asphalt run, with surfaces varying from smooth to course. At about 4.5 miles my soles started to sore and I finished the run in sandals. I suspect had I remained on concrete only I could have run longer BF but I need to acclimate to asphalt as I want to soon enter organized runs. My post-run soles are sore but normally this kind of soreness kicked in far earlier, so I'm slowly seeing greater distance achieved. The BF rest was the right thing to do. I felt some heel tightness at first, but this soon disappeared as I warmed up and I had no knee pain at all.

Route Map