Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand canes

Oldrich Polreich

Oldrich Polreich

Hello there

I'm quite passionate about handbalancing and i would like to start training on canes. Unfortunately, only canes i saw here in CR was one device in gymnastic gym where i trained, and was custom made (I asked). It is literally imposible to find them in any local shop and i don't want to (more like i can't) order them from foreign website (due to the stupid policy of local state post office).

So here is my question: How to custom-made them? I can think some basis myself but im not sure in these things: Distance between two metal "bars" (I'm around 6ft tall if it helps) and precise specification of "gripping" parts.

I will be glad for any tips :wink:

Are you in the states?

Go to a home improvement store, purchase 4 pipe flanges. It is flat on one side, circular, has threading on the other side and 4 holes. I would say 3/4 in or 1in diameter

Then buy a few sets of pipe nipples, 6 in in length, 12 in in length and maybe 24in in length

Then get a 2x4 about 8 inches long, cut exactly in half so you have 2 4 in long 2x4 squares. Those are the handles, now you just sand them down to very smooth.

Then got a 12in long 1x12 cut it in half, some sanding and these are your bases. Attach a flange to the 2x4 handles, then attach a flange to the base, then connect them with the nipples.

http://www.lostartofhandbalancing.com/p ... g-stands/#

For pictures heres where I got the idea.

Building it yourself prolly less then $30 his are like $130, and i promise they are super easy, you can do it with no power tools, just a hack saw, some varying grits of sandpaper and your golden.

good luck

• 1 month later...
Peter Turnley

Should the bases be larger than the 8" ones shown in the link? Those ones look like they could tip over fairly easily if correcting from a bad position.

Richard Duelley

I put mine on one solid large base. The only thing you need to do is figure out how wide you want the canes. I did this by doing a bunch of handstands on free blocks and then marking where I put the blocks down so I could then center my canes where I put the blocks.

2715997220068627946S425x425Q85.jpg

Peter Turnley

Thanks for the reply. I'll be making a set next weekend and will go with a wide base and both canes at a fixed width.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Eddie Stelling
Should the bases be larger than the 8" ones shown in the link? Those ones look like they could tip over fairly easily if correcting from a bad position.

I am looking into building some of these as well and was thinking the same thing about the separate bases opposed to the single base. Timy7, could you or anyone that has used the separate bases, elaborate on if they tip over?

Also, if you build the single base, could you construct shorter canes and interchange them (ex. one long & one short) to help with one arm training? I would assume so since they are threaded and screw in, but wanted to double check. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Richard Duelley

Yes, you can interchange the height. I have a short 6 inch pair that were great but I lost them when I moved after school. This reminds me that I need to get a couple more seeing as they are so cheap!