Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rotisserie Chicken as main Protein source?

chingyvang

Larry Roseman

I know what you mean sliz. It's a bit of the anticipatory response. Like imagining the guys walking towards you are going to attack you. Heart races, muscles tense. Or sexy mama is walking towards you and imagineshe might attack you :) Heart races , won't go there :) There is some benefit to being prepared this way, just in case.

However there is no benefit to having insulin pre-primed. Once insulin is "injected" blood glucose levels are reduced. If there is no elevated glucose level, well you have a potentially dangerous hypoglycemic situation. What I haven't noticed though are any symptoms of hypoglycemia resulting from artificial sweetners, at least in the amounts that I've taken them.

So I'd have to question whether it is significent when taking average quantities. There could perhaps be a minor blip. If researchers have noted this, I'd be interested in their study and will look around a bit for it.

Edit: This is the only real-world type human study that I could find. It raised GLP-1 rather than insulin.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/index. ... 8&action=1

The deal is that here they found that drinking diet soda before eating carbs increased GLP-1 compared to drinking soda water.

GLP essentially moderates insulin. Insulin levels were the same after drinking the soda or water.

from wikip "... when the plasma glucose concentration is in the normal fasting range, GLP-1 no longer stimulates insulin to cause hypoglycemia. GLP-1 appears to restore the glucose sensitivity of pancreatic β-cells , with the mechanism possibly involving the increased expression of GLUT2 and glucokinase. GLP-1 is also known to inhibit pancreatic β-cell apoptosis and stimulate the proliferation and differentiation of insulin-secreting β-cells. In addition, GLP-1 inhibits gastric secretion and motility. This delays and protracts carbohydrate absorption and contributes to a satiating effect."

So it sounds like the belief that non-sugar sweetners raises insulin may be based on a poularization but mizunderstanding of this study.

Joshua Naterman

Think about what you just said. There's no benefit to preparing the body to handle the food that is obviously coming? Doesn't make sense. I also never said there was an insulin response, I said there is a hormonal response. I do not remember the exact hormones.

Secondly, that paper mentions at least 4-5 times in the two pages it spans that there is no way this paper can be used to draw any conclusions about anything but healthy individuals.

Thirdly, the GLP-1 response only happens when there is an immediate consumption of sugar after the artificial sweetener. This does NOT happen with just sugar and it does NOT happen with just artificial sweeteners. I don't know anyone who slams their diet soda and then slams a regular soda. Maybe I just don't know the right people?

GLP-1 has a half life of less than 2 minutes, due to rapid degradation by the enzyme dipeptidyl peptidase-4. It is a potent antihyperglycemic hormone, inducing glucose-dependent stimulation of insulin secretion while suppressing glucagon secretion. Such glucose-dependent action is particularly attractive because when the plasma glucose concentration is in the normal fasting range, GLP-1 no longer stimulates insulin to cause hypoglycemia.

This is a quote from wikipedia. There are good references at the bottom of the page that I checked out, the info is solid.

So, there are a few takeaways from this. 1, GLP-1 is a very fast acting hormone. Its effects wear off extremely quickly, less than 5 minutes. It causes MORE insulin to be secreted. This is good, because in normal people it helps keep blood sugar in the normal range. However, this is accomplished by promoting food storage. Again, with a normal diet this is not terribly problematic. It is, however, a well accepted and proven fact that the less insulin you need to handle a given volume of food the less fat storage you will have.

In overeaters and in people who are already insulin-resistant, the same insulin response can actually make the fat storage problem WORSE. Huge insulin spikes, which GLP-1 supports short-term (and then is gone, no longer supporting anything), are much more likely to lead to excess fat storage. This is a guarantee when coupled with excessive energy intake, especially in a single feeding session.

It is certainly true that GLP-1 seems to support insulin sensitivity, and this last part is educated opinion ONLY on my part, but the effect can not counter-balance the habitual over-eater or binger's abuse of their pancreas. I tend to agree with the thought that IF diet is reduced to normal levels and healthy content THEN this combination effect could potentially be part of a diabetes/metabolic syndrome treatment. However, that is a very narrow statement and make no mistake: THAT is the statement the scientific community is making about this hormone.

You took that very small paper out of context.

Larry Roseman

I'd have to re-read the study, however my only point, which I don't think is out of context, is that the diet soda is not neccessarily problematic to weight loss for hormonal reasons. I'm not suggesting that it automatically makes it easier or better.

My mistake was thinking you were talking about insulin as the hormone that was primed. I picked that up from an earlier post and carried it forward. I still stand by the statment that it's a bad thing for insulin to be released before glucose is raised above fasting levels. However other hormones perhaps are released that do prime the body for it. Our bodies are pretty damn impressive, especially on the inside (much more so on the inside in my case).

Gotta run!

Peace & Cheers.

Joshua Naterman

Oh yea, having an insulin spike without extra sugar in the blood = coma in a hurry!

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.