Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

False grip.... quick questions???

Bright

So i got my first muscle up today only after 2 ring workouts. I know. I was always strong being able to do weighted pullups and dips on the bar. The rings are a lot harder. But i couldn't do a muscle up. Researched and found out how to do a muscle up using false grip and i got it.

First time ive ever done false grip and it hurts my wrist. Im not a pussy, but when i get the muscle up, it seems like if i went back down, it would KILL my wrist, so i end up jumping off the top of the dip because it seems like it would hurt me.

QUICK QUESTION(s)?

1) Will my wrist be able to handle this eventually?

2) Will holding onto the false grip GOING for more than 1 muscle up hurt my wrists bad? (without touching ground)

3) Will using tape and chalk for my rings help or would they be not so good for me?

4) Last but not least, when using the false grip, will it build good strength or is it like cheating the strength building aspect of the muscle up? I am looking for that great strength gymnastic guys have. Its amazing. Thanks

EDIT: should i also bend my arms while doing false grip? It seems like i need to... is it suppose to be like that or should i start fully stretching my arms out?

Thanks for the help!

The answer to all those is it will take time.

Your wrists eventually wont even be bothered by false gripping, I can hang in a false grip all day with no discomfort, no its not cheating, just how muscle ups are done. eventually you will be strong enough to not even need the false grip, however the false grip is always nice.

I dont think you will hurt your wrist, but take your time dont over work yourself.

Not cheating to use chalk on rings, grip tape kinda sucks, I much prefer chalk.

Your arms will bend in false grip, eventually you can dead hang, straight arm in a false grip.

good luck, and remember its the journey not the destination

The answer to all those is it will take time.

Your wrists eventually wont even be bothered by false gripping, I can hang in a false grip all day with no discomfort, no its not cheating, just how muscle ups are done. eventually you will be strong enough to not even need the false grip, however the false grip is always nice.

I dont think you will hurt your wrist, but take your time dont over work yourself.

Not cheating to use chalk on rings, grip tape kinda sucks, I much prefer chalk.

Your arms will bend in false grip, eventually you can dead hang, straight arm in a false grip.

good luck, and remember its the journey not the destination

thanks bro. Just keep workin on it. Sounds good.

Piotr Ochocki

You possibly will be able to dead hang with straight arms while holding false grip quite quickly - trick will be to rotate your hands out when you straighten your, just some example, see how he rotates his hands when straighten arms (0:13s, 0:20s):

OT4DqCUyJYY

Eddie Stelling

I used to have lots of trouble holding it as well, and still can't hold it very well with out chalk and or tape. I like to wrap my wrist in 1 layer of athletic tape and chalk over it. All the advice that has been given above is great for strengthening the false grip, so I think that has been answered. As for your problem with lowering down into the false grip from the top support, you have to reverse the motion EXACTLY. So when in a support, first bend the elbows and move the chest forward (in front), then the elbows go down and back while the wrist rolls over the rings (set the false grip), then elbows go lower which will put you into hanging at the top postion of a pullup. As you get your false grip stronger begin to lengthen your hang (less arm bend) until you are in a dead hang. Remember to flex your forearms hard when holding your false grip, like you are flexing your bicep at your face. It's not a loose grip, it should be rather tough!

Joshua Naterman

Start off doing foot-supported rows in the false grip and when you can do full ROM for your regular number of sets and reps move on to foot-supported pull ups in the false grip. You should quickly master those, the rows will be what take the longest. You may even be able to go straight to pull ups or muscle ups after you master the false grip rows, who knows?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ive been stretching out my wrists and did 3 muscle ups in a row. I also did a muscle up with a 35lb plate hanging from my waist. Is that bad to do? Although it was hard, i got it once. Should i only do bw or maybe try to keep upping the weight?

And i am getting blisters on my wrists. i dont really care about that. Ill man up

Joshua Naterman

I'd consider starting off with something lighter, you don't want to have an ugly transition. You may also want to try reducing forward lean. A no lean muscle up is essentially a bodyweight triceps press.

Alessandro Mainente

i got the biggest part of my grip strength holding the inverted hang position with false grip!! maybe can help you to become stronger