I have always wanted to do an iron cross, and the fact that I am a woman and that my ceiling is 233cm high isn't going to stop me. But how do you hang the rings? there just doesn't seem to be enough room. I am only 163cm tall, and for once being short looks like a blessing. But still... how do you hang the rings for iron cross work in the house?
iron cross at home
Started by img, May 16, 2011 · 9 Replies · 5,575 Views
Thanks, but this doesn't really help. I already have parallettes, and I can make a bar like a giant parallette, and I can hang the rings on that, and I can do ring exercises where my body is parallel to the ground. But not the cross, because no matter how I count, 233cm just isn't enough space to fit rings and myself in the cross position. I don't have any garages and spaces inside or outside a garage. I only have my medium-sized room, in which I can utilize the space above the bed lengthwise (about 2m).
If you have somehow solved a similar problem I would sincerely appreciate your suggestions.
not that I wanted to be out of context, I posted that link as I uploaded there the pics showing the way I secured rings to the ceiling in order to have the maximum clearance allowed by the room height. If you hang rings directly to the roof with those eyelets you'll have enough space for most exercises. I now have moved rings inside, my ceiling is 2.50m I'm 1.77 and I have enough clearance to do muscleups.
anyway, you should have posted this on equipment.
No, of course you weren't out of context, I didn't meant it that way. :-) And you are right, I should have posted in the equipment.
I'll probably do this: change the height of my bar to 230cm and hang the rings from that (I can't secure stuff to the ceiling because I live in a rental property). True, I'll lose the option of doing pull ups on the bar, but I can move my bar pull ups to the gym. Since you can do muscle-ups at 177cm and 250cm ceiling, then the cross should be doable by 163cm me and 233cm ceiling. Great, thanks for that!!!
Slightly off-topic, do you have recommendations on cross progressions? BtGB has indications, but no clear path, and suggestions/personal experiences are very much appreciated.
img said:Slightly off-topic, do you have recommendations on cross progressions? BtGB has indications, but no clear path, and suggestions/personal experiences are very much appreciated.
The most important thing to take care of is joint (elbow) preparation. See the following for coach's elbow prep progressions:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3279&p=23222&hilit=iron+cross+elbow+prep#p23222
pogo69 said:The most important thing to take care of is joint (elbow) preparation. See the following for coach's elbow prep progressions:
http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... rep#p23222
Excellent! Thanks for that.
If clearance is still an issue you could simply do your IC work in an L position. It will be slightly more pec dominant, but hey, L-cross looks cooler (I think)
. Most importantly though, get those elbows prepared for the strain! After that's taken care of, bands are your friend as well as feet-on-box progressions
Spotting is probably the best approach but not necessarily possible nor practical for home gymnasts!
And remember cross takes time time time, training cross before you have ALL of coach's prereqs (and yes that includes a free standing HS on the rings, which is what I am stuck on
) is a sure fire way to blow an elbow or get a wicked case of tendonitis.
@Svend L-cross does look cooler, but ouch, it's HARD. Ok, ok, I am being a weenie, I know. Your suggestions are very useful though, thank you. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get the IC and what background did you start off with? (ie to what extent was your preparation in line with Coach's list)
@Breaks Exactly, and with the rings HS I again run into the problem of clearance! But you know, even since I decided to simply increase the height of my bar to 230cm, the whole thing became more doable. Mind you, I can see this HS giving me grief too... But at least now that the problem of clearance is solved (at least in theory, so I can start altering the bar) I can worry less about DIY and more about the progressions. :-)
Good luck with your IC and thank you for the advice!