Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Extreme dizziness in HS WOD

Patrick Patterson

Patrick Patterson

Hello all.

I've been following the WODs for about a year and recently have had a problem. The past 3 times that I have done the Press HS WOD (ie. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5793) I have experienced dizziness afterwards. The first time I was dizzy for about 30 minutes after the WOD was done. The 2nd time (next time that WOD came up in the cycle) I felt light dizziness for a few hours after (but I went to work and was fine). However yesterday I did the WOD of 11 Mar (the one I linked above) and as soon as I was done I was excessively dizzy. An hour later I couldn't stand or sit up at all and had to lie down. An hour after that I crawled to the bathroom and threw up. After 4 hours I finally went to the emergency room because I couldn't even really lie down comfortably and couldn't walk on my own. I spent the night in the hospital (I'm still here now actually) getting tests done, brain scan, etc... and so far everything has come back as normal. I've never ever had anything like this before in my life, and I've been doing BTGB training for almost 3 years and the WODs specifically for about a year... so I'm not at all new to HS or to those workouts. Nothing has changed recently in my lifestyle or workouts or nutrition anything since I started having this problem, so I'm at a loss to understand it. I mean I'm working out the same, not pushing myself any harder than I was before, hydrating and eating the same, I didn't start taking any medications or anything like that. But it looks like I wont be able to do these HS oriented workouts for a while as the past three times I've done them this post -workout diziness has gotton worse each time and now I'm in the hospital because of it. I remember back 3 years ago when I started doing HS work that I had that common starting problem of blood rushing to the head and causing a little pain, but that went away after a few weeks. This is something totally different. It's a debilitating dizziness that comes as I'm finishing the WOD and lasts longer and longer. When I do the other WODs I'm fine after (well not dizzy), it's only when I do that specific WOD that this happens (where most of workout is spending time on your hands). Again I've done those workout, and long intense HS oriented workouts for about 2-3 years and never had a problem like this until now, and again these past three HS workouts I haven't pushed myself beyond what I normally do, I mean I wasn't anymore tired or exhausted than I normally am when I workout (and even though the WODs always leave me beat, I don'T feel like I'm close to pushing myself too far or anything).

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Archbishop o balance

I can't offer much of an explanation, but I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and hope you'll be back ruling the HSWODs in no time!

Todd Sprenkle

I'm not a doctor. I don't know whether your problem is related to what I have experienced, but you might want to look at the following web page about BENIGN PAROXYSMAL POSITIONAL VERTIGO:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/di ... /bppv.html

I have twice (at least a year apart) experienced such dizziness. The first time, I visited my doctor -- and the manipulations she tried made it worse. Both times, it seems that I was eventually able to resolve the problem on my own using the simple body positioning sequence described on that or other web pages.

Thanks,

Todd