Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Walmart Whey protein ?

chingyvang

chingyvang

about 3 years ago when I was bodybuilding, I used cheap Whey protein powder from Walmart $12---$16. It worked cause I gained 20lbs during that summer, some from fat. Does anyone have experience with walmart protein? Should I continue using them if they work? I was having gas and acidic stool but arent they normal for whey?

Whey protein, even those using concentrates still have some carbs and lactose. Carbs=gas sometimes.

Yeah, I know the brand and I think it's about $15/2lbs which is pretty darn cheap unless you were to order in massive bulk online. Works decent. The GNC stuff is crushing my pocketbook. I was using BCAA's but I've been looking to just buy some whey and drink some every couple of hours so my body is always processing amino acids and BCAA's like that study Sliz found on IV protein usage.

You make do with what you can sometimes.

• 2 months later...
Samuel Carr

Like a year ago I bought two 10lb bags of whey protein from GNC online that were normally like $120 each but the bags were on sale and i had a 15% off card, and they had some special deal where it was buy one get 50% off, and free shipping over $100. So basically I got both bags for around like $130, then I sold one of them to a guy for $80 (still saving him money). So i basically bought a 10lb bag of quality protein for around $50 that's lasted me a super long time.

• 2 weeks later...
Joshua Naterman

Whey protein is optimal, but walmart doesn't ship in refridgerated containers and it's a fairly cheap product as well, and to top it all off you'll get better prices at The Vitamin Shoppe and online as well for better protein so there's no reason to use Walmart protein. Get some where you know it will be good.

Whey is by far the cheapest source of protein you can by, foods included, and if you don't have allergies the concentrates are what you want. Doesn't hurt that they're the cheapest as well! Just get decent stuff, trueprotein.com has $4.60 cents a pound for whey concentrate dude! Show me where you can beat that price. I think it's 5 bucks a pound for less than 15 lbs but seriously that's still the best deal on the market by far! Starting soon all my protein's going to be coming from them. That's just a killer, killer deal and they independently verify that their protein is 77-80% protein by weight. That's pretty important since concentrates can be as low as 29%.

Outside of that, food sources are important but moreso for vitamins and minerals, not so much for protein.

Mehmet Yuce

There is an option for adding sweetener to the whey protein concentrate and this doesn't seem to affect the price. Do you have experience with this? It seemed odd to me that I added Stevia and the price didn't change.

Joshua Naterman

No idea, maybe they just like hooking up their customers? Sweeteners are ridiculously cheap to produce and buy in bulk.

Better to get unsweetened anyway, Sucralose isn't really that good for you.

Mehmet Yuce

So far I haven't been able to find anything negative about Stevia. It helps my sweet tooth quite a bit. I'd like to know if you're aware of something that I'm not.

Joshua Naterman

Nothing I know of beyond the common effect of sweet tastes on insulin sensitivity, which is to lower it. I wouldn't worry about that TOO much as long as the rest of your diet is well in place.

• 2 weeks later...
Larry Roseman
Nothing I know of beyond the common effect of sweet tastes on insulin sensitivity, which is to lower it. I wouldn't worry about that TOO much as long as the rest of your diet is well in place.

Actually I just found that cheap whey (chocolate, artifically sweetened), which I don't find mixes well in milk or water, works wonders in yogurt. I've put it in 2% plain, and it mixed extremely well, and left the yogurt creamy like pudding and delicious.

While non-caloric sweetners may raise insulin through cephalic (in your head) phase insulin response it doesn't always occur. It depends on many factors and isn't consistantly shown. Conversely, one study showed that eating a palatable high-fat

whipped cream meal raised the anticipatory insulin response, even though the meal itself didn't!

However, if it occurs at all, the rise is short lived, just a matter of minutes - at a lower level than typical post-prandial (fed) response - so not likely to blunt sensitivity. So, I agree ... it's not a worry.

http://si-pddr.si.edu/jspui/bitstream/1 ... 930853.pdf

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.