Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Body Lever vs Front Lever

Martial83

Martial83

Hey all, quick question on workout arrangements. Due to work and other sport commitments I only get to work out for around 1 hour 2 - 3 times a week. So it's all about maximal benefit for me in as little time possible. The structure I've gotten into is a leg, core, pull and push exercise, or a CPP for pull and push. My current workout usually goes like this:

- 'Shrimps' or KB Swings

- Body Levers or Ab Wheel Rollouts

- Wide Arm MU

Typically 6-7 reps for 5 sets in around 40 mins.

I'd like to step it up a bit and was wondering if replacing the body levers with some form of front lever work would hit the same muscle groups? Eg if I do slow Yewkis, would that be a fair replacement for the body lever?

Another option I'm toying with is adding a static front lever before the MU, would this achieve the same aim?

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Front lever trains the abdominals to a high degree but it still isn't as specific as just training the abdominals with abwheels or body levers, mainly because the weak link is in the front lever is usually the pulling musculature of the upper back. So if your goal is to train the abdominals to a high degree then stick with lever and abwheel progressions, if you want to train more pulling muscles go with the front lever progressions.

Joshua Naterman

Adding FL statics is probably a very good idea. Just doing one or two holds at the beginning and the end of the workout should serve you well, but like Alex said you are not going to get as much actual ab work out of the FL. That's really more for the lats, traps and long head of the triceps. Body lever will be much more productive than FL in terms of pure core strength. One thing you SHOULD consider is body lever holds at horizontal. Just be sure to keep those hips hollow!

Martial83

Good advice as always, thanks guys. My sports rely on core stength and explosiveness so I think I'll stick with the levers etc but add some FL holds as recommended. If I did 1 hold per set (so 5 total) of say 5 - 7 secs that should be sufficient?I honestly don't think you can train the back enough, I find it gives great increases all around. Only pain is I can't straddle on my rings/bar as the Walls are too narrow lol. Eventually I want to work FL pull to MU, awesome looking skill : )

Martial, if you cannot straddle, I would simply adjust the angles in your tuck/adv tuck position and open them out more.