Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone here use No Powder, No Supplement? Still get Results?

chingyvang

chingyvang

Hi, back after a long winter break from the forum and getting started again for summer abs. But the problem is that i'm still unemployed so I only eat what's on the table. No protein powder and no supplements, just plain "Eat when I'm Hungry" and "Eat what's on the table". Anyone else here like me? Because I want to know if it's possible to cut up with the "Poor College Student" diet? I'm just practicing handstands for future HS push ups to give my shoulders some definition. Also doing Abs routine and HIIT Training for belly fat loss to reveal the abs.

Eggs. I substitute with milk sparingly during the day as well though I have a history of drinking a lot of it. Sometimes, it's better to not be hungry and be fatter than starving.

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm by no means a great athlete, but I don't supplement at all besides a little of BCAA's here and there. I'm gradually increasing the consistency and intensity and focus of my training, and I've been getting great results! Particularly since I severely upped my fat intake. :)

Philip Chubb

Right below this is the meat free thread that talks about monks doing feats of strength on diets that we wouldn't neccesarily find optimal. Don't worry so much and do what you can and monitor your recovery. There is also this user on youtube doing one of the best looking muscle ups on a bar that I have seen. He actually prides himself on gaining strength while not supplementing with anything except whole food. Good training to you!

Rafael David

I progressed fast and i don't make use of any supplement,only whole food...

I think once I'm around 4-6% bf I will spend less money on supps and go more for food quality aswell. Shall be exciting.

RatioFitness

Were there people with six pack before supplements were invented? There's your answer.

Joseff Lea

I'm not taking supplements or even eating particularly well and in little over two months have seen pretty good results. A few tips on getting more for your money (me and my girlfriend live off about £30 a week for food) is make things in bulk and freeze portions. Don't buy things like pasta sauce in the jar, make it yourself and freeze it, it's really easy to make plus you know exactly what's in it.

One of my favourites is a mixed bean chilli, don't buy tinned beans though, buy them dried and soak them overnight, it'll saves you a fortune. Also for fresh fruit and vegetables try and find a good local market, people there are less averse to haggling and the quality is usually better. We typically spend about £20 a week on fruit, veg, bread, milk etc and about £10 on meat, try and buy meat in bulk when it's on offer and again freeze it.

Main thing for getting cut is just to train consistently. Hope that helps :D

For beginners, supplements aren't necessary. Eating big and starting training will make their body better regardless of technicism.

For intermediate who likes to be in good shape, starting to take some protein when needed and vitamins will make a difference in the long run. But only if their diet is a mess.

For experienced who trains for living, getting that 5% plus is recommended. Especially when you're a genetic freak/steroid user.

I personally use some supplement, but only when I don't eat enough protein/go for running with empty stomach/need a quick dose of amino's after training/feel tired or sick.

I experimented whey (helpful), aminoacids (meh), vit c (good when sick), multis (no change whatsoever) magnesium (good sometimes) and will now try creatine.

They are not necessary to succeed at any program. Eating enough protein/fruit and veggies is the key.

EDIT: forgot fish oil. That's decent!

Joshua Naterman

For strength especially, supplements really are not necessary. Even with size, the only supplements you NEED are sleep, water, extra greens, and lots of food.

All I use is whey protein, which is essentially dried yoghurt and cottage cheese leftovers. I am simply moving around too many places to keep quality milk with me and the powder is efficient. If I didn't have that available I would make sure I had milk and/or cooked eggs. Either way the results would still be great.

At elite competition levels supplementation is not optional, but for even high level fitness enthusiasts it is definitely not necessary. I am stronger in most ways NOW than I was when I was younger, in the Navy, and working out all the time with tons of supplements. They are just plain unnecessary. In fact, training without them will let you know whether your program is a good program. Supplements can make a crap program work decently, but the real magic is that they can make a good solid program that produces good results with just food work MUCH better than it already does. That's how supplements are meant to be used, but they are usually used by fitness enthusiasts to make a poorly thought out program workable.

Yeah too many people are supplementing before even fixing the basics, I myself am glad I've never been tricked by the 'ultra mass gainer 70000' fancy shit and whatever ultra pump stuff the bodybuilders like. Glad I found this forum to guide me with Idos recommendations in the beginning. There's still stuff I probably shouldn't have spend money on in the past, but then again.. It's always easy to be a wise-ass. In one year I'll probably think the same again...

• 2 weeks later...

I used supplements when I first got into weightlifting, I just used them because everyone said how good they were (whey protein, creatine sometimes, amino acids, PWO shakes). Then I got frustrated with having a hard time gaining weight and dropped all supplements and spent more money on food. Saw results immediately. I haven't used those supplements since then. On occasion when I am not hurting for money and my fridge is full I'll buy things like fish oil, magnesium and Chondroitin (for injuries).

For physique gains I'd say supplements are worthless unless you have your diet completely in order (I've only met a small handful of people who could say that and they were usually competitive body builders) and over 95% percent of your results will come from a proper diet rather than any supplement.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.