Need help to increase bending backwards flexibility

Started by Olle Linge, April 15, 2011 · 9 Replies · 5,700 Views

Olle Linge

Hi everybody,

The subject of this post does perhaps sound a little bit weird, but I have realised that many of my problems when practising comes from not being flexible enough in any part related to bending the body backwards. I've practised diving before moving over to gymnastics, so anything in the other direction is quite okay (I have a reasonably pike, etc.). However, some exercises bring me lots of problems in gymnastics, handsprings being a very good example. They become too long, partly because I lack skill, but also because I lack flexibility. I'm considerably less flexible than other people I practise with who are of a similar build otherwise (I'm 27 years old, weighing 77 kg, 178 cm).

For instance, standing up, folding one knee backwards and gripping the foot (the basic front thigh stretch), I can't extend my hip more than 180 degrees and reaching 180 only if warmed up. Lying on my stomach, lifting the upper body, looking upwards, supporting my weight on my hands, I get considerably lower than other people. Bridge is another position I have tremendous difficulties with, simply because my hips won't extend enough to get a nice arc.

Okay, enough, of that, I think you get the picture. So what do I do about this? My current remedy is doing some extra stretching focused on extend the hip joint as much as possible. I have also started doing some relaxing stretching before going to bed several times a week. In other words, I really want to get more flexible and be able to do the exercises I mentioned above properly.

So my question to you is what I should do? Is what I do now enough? Are there any particularly effective exercises? How often should I do them? In short, I'm interested in hearing anything that will help alleviate this problem. I'm not afraid of investing time to fix this, but I need to know that the time I spent is spent in an effective manner.

Thank you!

Alvaro

Others with more experience in flexibility like Mr. Brady will tell better but surely there are two factors here, lack of flexibility and lack of lower back strength (how do you feel respecting this?). Bridge walks are a great way to increase bridge flexibility, check this Coach´s post:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=160&p=581&hilit=bridge+walks#p581

I started barely going down some inches, now I am touching the ground (still not transitioning though) and my bridge is pretty strong compared with my other marks. Give it a shot! :D

Olle Linge

I don't think lower back strength is a problem, but I might be mistaken. Do you have any suggestion how to test this without involving too much flexibility? If I try to hold a bridge, it's not my back that stops me. Bridge walks are the same. I've gotten pretty good at advanced tucked planche which involves some back muscles (meaning I have no problem there). Since I can't even extend my hips/abs properly with force (gravity, a friend helping me, etc.), I should think flexibility is the major part of my problem. However, I'm no expert and perhaps lower back strength is part of it as well.

Alvaro

I am no expert neither :D . How are your bridge walks going? How often do you practice them and the bridge? . There is any physical limit, I meen it hurts at any range?(it doesn't have to!)

Olle Linge

Well, the problem is that I feel that I'm limited by my inflexibility with the exercises. For instance, if attempting a bridge, it becomes extremely demanding on the legs and arms simply because my back is not arched enough. I don't feel that either of these are very taxing for the lower back, simply because I can't reach a position where it starts being difficult. I really think that what I need is stretching, not more dynamic lower back strength.

Does any one have stretching suggestions for attaining a proper bridge? I'm thinking that this should be the same kind of flexibility I need for handsprings and lots of other things I find difficult at the moment.

Cole Dano

The biggest thing honestly is to work at it.

Unfortunately, more than with most other stretches bridging is somewhat technical, and so its very hard to advise on your specific issues without seeing you.

If you have access to a good yoga teacher its worth taking some classes if this is something you want to work on, the outside eyes are very helpful.

Otherwise some pics, videos etc can help us help you.

Blairbob

Head and shoulder bridging? Work the shoulder bridging elevated with an open shoulder, imo.

Olle Linge

Thanks for the help, guys! I will take some photos/videos in the coming week/weeks (Easter break here, no official practice) and I will post a reply to this thread and see if we can analyse the problem a bit further. Is there anything you want photos of? Here's what I can think of:

- Bridge

- Bridge walks

- The stretch positions I mentioned

Anything else?

Cole Dano

That sounds like enough.

jl5555

Make sure you follow the advice to elevate your feet initially with your bridge. I do this by placing a box against the wall, the higher the easier, obviously. Facing the wall, I put my hands on the floor ~ 3 feet from the wall and kick up into handstand then let my feet reach for the wall. Once my feet are on the wall I walk them down to the box. Initially, you may wish to have a pad under your head just in case. All this is predicated on being fairly comfortable kicking into a wall handstand.