Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche Physics question

Aurelio Paras

Aurelio Paras

A little friendly physics!

I believe coach said the Planche Pushup was equivalent to benching twice your bodyweight or 200%

What would be the benchpress figures for the following:

1) Tuck Planche Pushups

2) Flat Tuck Planche Pushups

3) Straddle Planche pushups

4) 1/2 Planche Pushups

thx ! :mrgreen:

John Sapinoso

I believe he said it was equivalent (or harder than) bench pressing 3 x your body weight while having your back and feet supported by stability balls...

[=

John Sapinoso

I'm not sure where it was posted, i think Coach Sommer was being interviewed by a bodybuilding website...

Aaron Griffin
I believe he said it was equivalent (or harder than) bench pressing 3 x your body weight while having your back and feet supported by stability balls...

[=

Curious - can we get someone to do the math and figure out precisely how much force a planche exerts? There has to be some mechanical engineers around here

You would have to know the tendon insertions specific to the person..but you can probably get some averages and calculate some stuff.

Aurelio Paras

Would the tuck planche pushup on a set of paralettes be roughly equivalent to 1x bodyweight bench press?

Bench and planche aren't entirely the same, I believe a power press may be more equivalent as the elbows will not be at 90 degrees rather they will be by your hips during the pressing movement.

Joshua Naterman
Would the tuck planche pushup on a set of paralettes be roughly equivalent to 1x bodyweight bench press?

Probably not, but that's hard to judge. When I was benching 235 at bw of 225 for something like 20 reps or so I was able to do 8 or 9 tuck planche push ups but they weren't all perfect. This was about two years ago, a few months after I started.

You could make approximate measurements based on a photo of your tuck planche and calculate lever lengths and do some basic physics to get a rough estimate.

Rafael David

For curiosity one month ago i tested my bench and the result was 198lbs for one rep, i weight 134lbs and do 3 sets of 3 reps of flat tuck planche pushups (strict reps) currently...

Aurelio Paras

Thanks for the replies guys :mrgreen:

Slizzardman-----Do you happen to have a basic set up of the equations I would use? I'm afraid its been too long since I took basic physics..Would the problem be classified under torques and rigid bodies??.....Thank you kind sir!

Mikael-------How long ago did you start bodyweight training? What was your starting bench??

For curiosity one month ago i tested my bench and the result was 198lbs for one rep, i weight 134lbs and do 3 sets of 3 reps of flat tuck planche pushups (strict reps) currently...

Those are impressive numbers for your size!

John Sapinoso

I'm not so sure it's as simple as plugging in a few equations, plus the answer would tell you only the equivalence of force at a certain point and joint angle, it wouldn't say anything about the movement as a whole...unless I'm mistaken (wouldn't be surprised, me no likey physics)

Joshua Naterman

Tsoonami: You're right, it will only tell you the force necessary at the very top. That's one of the cool things about planche though, it's easier at the bottom of the push up and harder as you go up. In theory that should make it pretty good for teaching progressive acceleration.

I am talking about drawing a triangle from your shoulder to your hands to the point in the center of your body directly over the hands. Once you have that triangle you would measure the angle with a protractor (or use SOH CAH TOA) and then... i forget what to do from then. :lol:

But yea, you could run it as a basic toque problem. You could also do basic tension, which isn't that different. I can't actually remember how to do all that stuff either, that's why I keep my physics book around lol!

Aurelio Paras

grrrr! Joint angles!!!! :evil:

alright, I'm gonna hit the books tonight and study rigid bodies!

I wonder how they figured a push-up was 65% bodyweight? Wonder if that figure is accurate...

Rafael David

Mikael-------How long ago did you start bodyweight training? What was your starting bench??

I have trained for a year or more...

Coach Sommer
... I believe he said it was equivalent (or harder than) bench pressing 3 x your body weight while having your back and feet supported by stability balls...

2x bodyweight; not 3x.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

Based on what I have seen that is at LEAST 100% accurate. True controlled full lay planche push up with proper form is pretty insane.

Honestly, I feel closer to a 350 lb bench press than a full planche right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher...

Animalonfire
grrrr! Joint angles!!!! :evil:

alright, I'm gonna hit the books tonight and study rigid bodies!

I wonder how they figured a push-up was 65% bodyweight? Wonder if that figure is accurate...

Torque (moments) from feet to center of mass is the same as torque from feet to hands Fxd=fxD, or in the true spirit of Occam's razor, whack a scale under the hands :idea: .

Planche pushups I think would be torque of holding the planche + torque of benching(or nearest equivalent) the weight.

If anyone has trouble with this stuff, absorb physics is a great resource. U:student6774 P:silver . I don't think that will get you into any other sciences(not payed for by my school), but you might get lucky.

http://www.absorblearning.com/physics/contents.html

Aurelio Paras

With such a difficult maneuver, I bet even the smallest change in velocity can greatly affect the difficulty as well.

One day, I will planche walk for 1 mile :mrgreen: