This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SNOWIS' workout log

Started by SNOWIS, March 28, 2011 · 37 Replies · 2,285 Views

SNOWIS

Vital Statistics

Name: Josh

Age: 20

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 158.5 pounds

Training History: Bodyweight workouts for the last 3.5 years.

Current Strength Levels: Chinups with 80 pounds- 4. PB Dips with 80 pounds- 5. Full back lever. Brief straddle front lever. Brief tuck planche. I am pulling dominant.

Weak Points: Right wrist has giving me some problems when tumbling for the last year (had to give up handstands for a while :cry: ). Pike flexibility is extremely poor :evil: .

Short Term Goals: Gain 20-25 pound of muscle over the next 4-6 months using GB exercises in a GVT style program as outlined by slizzardman here- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4596&start=60, as well as squats. Develop a full sidesplit, front split and pike (for the splits I am using this program- http://danvanzandt.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... ssion.html)

SNOWIS

Sunday, March 27

Sleep: About 6.5 hours. I need to get at least 8 hours a night.

Nutrition: Ate half a bowl of honey nut cheerios with skim milk. This is because I was at home. When I am in school I try to eat eggs. Started creatine loading with 5 grams at 11 am. Lunch was pizza dough stuff with deli meat. Drank some apple juice at gymnastics. Supper was a lot of chicken with rice and some cabbage. Had more creatine before the meal. Post workout I had creatine and whey protein in no fat milk, 5 eggs, and a large glass of whole milk before bed.

Training: Went to gymnastics to teach a parkour class for kids. Worked on wallflips, doublelegs, front tucks. Tested strength at the gym later on. 4 pullups with 80 lbs and 5 dips. Then start my GVT cycle. Did 3 sets of pullups with ring pushups, but the tempo (40X0) was killer and I couldn't finish at that intensity :oops: . Did 7 more sets of ring rows and floor pushups.

SNOWIS

Monday, March 28

Sleep: Got about 8 hours of sleep last night. Felt well rested throughout the day.

Nutrition: After waking up had a breakfast of 4 eggs with a scoop of whey protein and 5 grams of creatine in a large glass of whole milk. Lunch was turkey breast with sweet potato, alomg with some salad. Pre-workout I had a shake of no fat milk, whey protein and 5 grams of creatine. Post-workout I had another shake of whey protein and creatine mixed in water. Supper was a meat ziti with turkey and chicken. Late night snack was a bagel with jam and a shake of whey protein, creatine and fat free milk. Before bed I had a large glass of whole milk.

Training: Today was squat day, my second GVT workout. I chose to use 105 pounds, probably too conservatively. Did 10 sets of 10, supersetting with 50 pound hamstring curls, and resting 60-90 seconds after the ham curls. Used a tempo of 40X0. It wasn't crazy hard and I will definitely go heavier next time. Started feeling some DOMS from yesterdays workout, especially in my triceps, at about 5 pm.

SNOWIS

Tuesday, March 29

Sleep: Got about 7.5 hours last night. Feeling fine as of 2:24 pm.

Nutrition: Woke up and had a protein shake (whey with fat free milk) with creatine. Ate 4 eggs with whole milk about an hour later. Lunch was 1 slice of pizza :oops: with tuna fish and salad. Didn't have a pre-workout shake. Post-workout shake contained whey, creatine and fat free milk. Two hours later had another shake, water with whey and creatine. Supper was a meat chili, turkey and rice, as well as a bowl of salad. Had another shake about 3 hours later with whole milk, whey and creatine.

Training: The GVT program leaves this as a rest day, but I decided to do some ab, low back, calf, and trap work. I supersetted hanging knee raises, arch-ups, and this calf-raise/shrug thing where I held two 50 lb dumbells, did a calf raise, paused at the top, shrugged, lowered from my toes and then lowered the shrug. It didn't work so well :roll: . I did 4 sets of 10 with a 40X0 tempo, then did one more set of hanging knee raises. My lower back got a massive pump which wouldn't let me continue. The first 3 sets I did the arch-ups with my hands behind my head, the last with hands across my chest.

SNOWIS

Wednesday, March 30

Sleep: About 7 hours, felt drowsy at 5 pm, need to get to bed earlier.

Nutrition: Woke up, ate 4 eggs with a whey and creatine in water for breakfast. Lunch was a schnitzel sandwitch and 3 hamburgers, all on white buns. I usually try to eat as paleo as I can, but I think I am going to compromise for the sake of bulking. Then I had a pre-workout shake of whey and creatine in fat free milk. Post-workout I had 3/4ths of a bagel with a nice bit of peanut butter and a shake of whey and creatine in water. Supper was cut-up hot dogs with rice and string beans. I also indulged in some honeydew and cataloupe chunks. Before bed I had another shake of whey and creatine in water.

Training: Today was arms and shoulders day of GVT. The exercises I used were slizzardman's bodyweight bicep curl (thanks slizz!) and barbell overhead press. I did 8 sets of 10 on a 40X0 tempo for the press and 30X0 tempo for the curl. After 8 sets my right shoulder was hurting too much to continue, probably due to an overly narrow grip. The pain went away quickly but I'll continue to moniter this carefully. I used 75 pounds (including the bar) for the first set and 65 for the remaining 7. That is all.

SNOWIS

Thursday, March 31

Sleep: Slept about 8.5 hours.

Nutrition: About an hour after waking up I had a shake of whey and creatine in whole milk. Then I ate nothing until lunch, which was ziti, tuna fish, and a potato knish. A couple of hours after that I had a bagel with peanut butter and a shake with whole milk, whey and creatine. Later had a pre-workout shake of whey and creatine in water, and a mid-workout shake of the same. In a few minutes I'm going to pig out on some good meaty food. Edit- I later ate some chicken and potatoes, followed with a glass of whole milk 3 hours later.

Training: Today was a rest day in the GVT cycle, which I made into a very active rest day, as I worked at gymnastics from 8pm to 11pm. I worked on punch sides, punch fronts, 540 kicks, doublelegs, and flashkicks. It was quite productive :D .

ashita

Good luck for your goals !

SNOWIS

Thanks ashita! After I achieve my hypertrophy goals I think I'm going to work on becoming a supersaiyan :wink:.

Friday, April 1

Sleep: Slept just about 7 hours.

Nutrition: Drank a shake of whey and creatine in whole milk after waking up, about an hour before working out. I vomited all of this up, along with about a gallon of water, right after my workout. To make up some of the calories, I ate some peanut butter straight from the jar along with a post-workout shake of fat free milk, whey and creatine. A couple of hours later I drank another cup of whole milk. I'll be having a huge meal later tonight :D as I do every Friday night in honor of the Sabbath (since I'm an Orthodox Jew), which I'll post as well as I can recall on Saturday night or Sunday. Edit- Ate 3 chicken legs, salad, chicken soup, some beef, and lots of other food which I can't remember. It was epic.

Training: Today I did the chest and back day of GVT. This entailed 10 sets of 10 ring rows followed immediately with ring pushups and then 90 seconds rest. The tempo was 40X0. It was very intense as well as very fast, it took only about half an hour to complete. After finishing I felt nauseous, so I lay down for a few minutes. Then I left the gym and vomited on the grass outside. It was the first time I've thrown up from a workout and it felt pretty hardcore :twisted: .

SNOWIS

Saturday, April 2

Sleep: About 8 hours plus a half hour nap in the afternoon.

Training: Was supposed to be squat day, but I couldn't get back to school in time to squat :( , so I'll do that tomorrow.

Nutrition: A huge meal at about 1pm, lots of meat. Some milk (2-3 cups) and a couple of cookies at about 6pm. Will eat some eggs an milk when I get back to school tonight.

SNOWIS

Sunday, April 3

Update: My weight has increased to 161 pounds :) . This is with pretty poor nutrition over the last 3 days. I think I can do better this week if I don't slack off on the eating. This weeks goal is to get to 165 pounds.

Sleep: Slept about 8 hours.

Nutrition: For breakfast I ate a piece of fried fish with rice, string beans, and orange juice. For lunch I had a slice of pizza with a cup of apple juice. Supper was 2 large chicken wings with potatos and ground meat. Also had some chunks of honetdew by lunch and supper. Will pig out later on some shakes and some real food. Edit- I later had 2 shakes of whey creatine and milk and about 4 eggs. I also had a major sugar craving so I drank a bottle of grape juice.

Training: Spent a few hours at gymnastics today, first teaching a parkour class and then just playing around. I became pretty comfortable with 2-step wallflips and doublelegs, worked on rotating my sideflips faster, and had some instruction for my roundoff and backhandspring. It really was very productive. Then I did the GVT workout from yesterday. This means 10 sets 0f 10 squats supersetted with hamstring curls on a 40X0 tempo with 90 seconds of rest after the curls. I used 135 pounds for the squats and 55 pounds for the ham curls. Then I did 3 sets of 15 seated calf raises with 135 pounds.

SNOWIS

Monday, April 4

Sleep: Slept about 7 hours.

Nutrition: Had a shake of whey protein and creatine with whole milk in the morning. For lunch I had 1 hotdog, some coldcuts and french fries. Supper was meatballs, rice, and sweet and sour chicken. I had triples. I'm going to have a post-workout shake now. Edit- Had whey and creatine in whole milk, than a little while later had a bagel with peanut butter and whey in water.

Training: Todays GVT was arms and shoulders. The supersetted exercises were overhead press and ring curls on a 40X0 tempo with 90 seconds rest. I did 3 sets of presses with 75 pounds, 3 with 65 pounds, and 1 with 45. At that point my shoulder felt too weird to keep going. For some reason, my shoulders stopped hurting very suddenly as soon as I sat down at my desk after the workout :? . I experienced the same thing last time, perhaps because I relax as soon as I sit down. I also did just 7 sets of ring curls.

SNOWIS

Tuesday, April 5

Sleep: About 5.5 hours. I woke up about an hour early and couldn't fall back asleep :( .

Nutrition: Shortly after waking up I drank 4 raw eggs with water. Breakfast was 2 large pieces of french toast with a pile of hash browns and 3 cups of lowfat milk. Lunch was a slice of regular pizza and a slice of thick, cheese crust pizza. Will update later. Edit- Supper was late. I had some meat and chicken with mashed potatos.

Training: Did some dynamic stretching shortly after waking up.

SNOWIS

Wednesday, April 6

Sleep: Got just about 8 hours. No complaints here.

Nutrition: Today was a pretty good eating day. Breakfast was 4 raw eggs washed down with water. Lunch was a meat and past ziti, along with a chicken spaghetti, string beans, and tomatos with heart of palm. Pre-workout shake was whey and creatine in whole milk. Post-workout I had more whey and creatine in water along with a bagel and a little peanut butter. Supper was a burger without bread, a schnitzel on bread, and sweet potatoes. I saved a full plate of meat ziti from lunch and a schnitzel and sweet potatos from supper, so I won't be going hungry tonight 8) .

Training: Today was chest and back day of GVT, but it kind of became arms chest and back. I decided to do assisted pullups and dips on a gravitron machine instead of ring rows and pushups. The first superset I used 30 pounds of assistance, the second I used 25, the third 30 again. The 4th, 5th, and 6th supersets I used 35 pounds of assistance and the last 4 supersets I used 40 pounds of assistance. For the first 6 rounds I took exactly 90 seconds rest, after the 7th, 8th, and 9th I took 120 seconds. I kept the tempo as close to 40X0 as I could, but I couldn't keep it for the last couple of reps of the last few sets. I also got an insane pump in my biceps, triceps chest and back which is something I've only begun to experience recently.

SNOWIS

Thursday, April 7

Sleep: About 8 hours.

Nutrition: 4 raw eggs with milk for breakfast. Ziti with milk for lunch. Supper was mosly some chicken dish. Pre-orkout shake of whey and creatine in water. Post-workout shake of whey and creatine in water. Some more ziti with milk for late night snack.

Training: Rest day from GVT. Went to gymnastics and trained step-up sideflips, front tucks, back tucks.

SNOWIS

Friday, April 8

Sleep: About 9 hours :D .

Nutrition: 6 raw eggs with milk for breakfast. Pre-workout shake of whey and creatine in whole milk, along with some delicious challah kugel. A couple of freez pops post-workout. Large meal at night based around lots of sesame chicken and vegetables.

Training: GVT leg day. I did squats with 145 pounds and hamstring curls with 60 pounds. I stopped after 7 sets of squats and 6 sets of ham curls as my lower back was aching from the squats :oops: .

SNOWIS

Saturday, April 9

Sleep: About 8 hours at night plus a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.

Nutrition: Some yogurt after waking. My main meal was based on chicken (schnitzel) along with some asparagus, broccoli, and challah. In the afternoon I had more yogurt. A couple of hours later I had a piece of gefilte fish with some honeydew chunks and grapes. Pre-workout I had a protein shake of whey and creatine in milk, with a bagel and peanut butter. Post-workout I had a shake of whey and creatine in water. Later I had yogurt and milk just before bed.

Training: Arms and shoulders GVT. I supersetted barbell curls and overhead presses with just 40 pounds. I was able to complete all 10 sets, although it was probably a bit too easy.

SNOWIS

Update: I weighed in today at 163 pounds. I didn't achieve my goal of gaining 4 pounds in a week, but if I can continue to make the solid gains I have been making I will reach my goals very soon.

Sunday, April 10

Sleep: About 6.5 hours.

Nutrition: 4 eggs with milk for breakfast. An hour later I continued breakfast with a peanut butter sandwhich, orange juice, and milk. Lunch was some cold cuts, a piece of schnitzel, and 2 pieces of potato kugel. Supper was a suasage dish (cut up hot dogs with veggies), sweet-and-sour chicken, and mashed potatos.

Training: Today is a GVT rest day, so I just did a very light workout. 2 supersets of 10 hanging knee raises and arch-ups. 3 supersets of 155 pound seated calf raises and 120 pound (2 60 pounders) dumbell shrugs. 2 more supersets of standing calf raises with 155 pounds and 120 pound dumbell shrugs.

SNOWIS

Monday, April 11

Sleep: About 9 hours.

Nutrition: Missed breakfast. Lunch was a hot dog in a bun, a turkey sandwhich, cold cuts, cole slaw, and some honeydew. Supper was chicken nuggets, farfel, and potatos with roast beef. Edit- Post-workout shake was whey and creatine in milk. Also ate a yogurt. I just showered and I'm going to eat half a loaf of whole wheat bread with peanut butter and milk. Paleo be damned, I'm gonna gain weight.

Training: Today was the first nice day in New York this spring, so I went outside, took off my shirt :twisted: , and trained some b-kicks and tornado kicks. Later i went to the gym to do my GVT. Today was chest and back. I supersetted pullups with dips, both on the gravitron with 35 pounds taken off of my bodyweight. Crazy pump again, especially right bicep. Good training day.

Aurelio Paras

When you took your shirt off, that would have been the perfect time to turn super saiyan, haha! Too bad I'm 5'10 and your 5'8...we could've fused and you could have gained weight, lol.

SNOWIS

Nah, my shirt would need to explode off my body to be a real super saiyan. :shock:

You have over 100 pounds on me. Dude, if you shared some with me I'd be at my target weight and you wouldn't even notice. :roll:

SNOWIS

Tuesday, April 12

Sleep: Slept about 8 hours plus a half hour nap in the afternoon.

Nutrition: Breakfast was 6 raw eggs. Lunch was a slice of pizza, macaroni, and tuna fish. Supper was some potato salad, meat ,and rice. Post-workout shake was whey and creatine in water. After that I had more potato salad, meat, and rice.

Training: This was GVT leg day. I squatted 155 and did 65 pound ham curls, but I stopped after only 4 sets :oops: , as my lower back was majorly pumped and it was to uncomfortable to continue. :( I'm considering switching to box squats to keep myself from going ATG and wearing out my back so fast. After a 10 minute rest I decided to try out some good mornings, so I did 45 for 10, 65 for 10, and 75 for 10. Then I worked on my pop 360 kicks and finally started to get the hang of them, so at least one thing went well.

SNOWIS

Wednesday, April 13

Sleep: About 8 hours.

Nutrition: Skipped breakfast. Lunch was chicken poppers with sweet potatoes. Supper was chicken with rice and some ground meat dish. Pre-workout shake was whey and creatine in 1% milk, and pos-workout shake was the same. I also had a milkshake sorta thing from 7-11. Then I had a couple more pieces if chicken.

Training: Today was officialy rest day for GVT, but since I felt recovered and I won't be able to work out tomorrow, I decided to do arms and shoulders anyways. I supersetted barbell curls with presses, using 50 pounds. I did 10 sets of 10 with a tempo as close to 40X0 as I could make it. It was challenging, but enjoyable.

SNOWIS

Questions for anyone who can help:

1: My shoulders start to hurt every time I do presses. As soon as they feel pumped, they start to ache. The pain goes away as soon as the pump wears off. Has anyone else dealt with this? How can I prevent this from interfering with my GVT workout, besides for lowering the weight?

2: I always squat ATG, letting my lower back curve a bit at the bottom. This needs to be fixed, however it has never caused me problems until I started squatting GVT for high volume. I haven't been able to finish my last 2 squat workouts because my lower back became too pumped from working so much at the bottom. Are box squats a good way to make sure I won't go down too low?

SNOWIS

Thursday, April 14

Sleep: About 8 hours.

Nutrition: Breakfast was a couple of pieces of chicken. Lunch was 6/7 slices of whole wheat bread with lots of peanut butter, and some creatine in water. In the afternoon I ate about two thirds the jar of peanut butter, which gave me a decent number of calories. :twisted: Supper was some lasagna, and then a piece of schnitzel, half a blueberry blintz, and some cold cuts.

Training: Today was a total rest day. I enjoyed the nice weather, but didn't do any training whatsoever.

SNOWIS

Friday, April 15

Sleep: About 8 hours.

Nutrition: Breakfast was 6 raw eggs with fat-free milk, along with a piece of lasagna from last night. Will update later. Edit- Lunch was 3 slices of whole wheat bread, a small plate of herring, and a cup of yogurt. Pre-workout and post-workout I had 5 grams of creatine in water. Friday night dinner was grape juice, challah, gefilte fish, chicken soup, chicken and potato kugel.

Training: Early in the afternoon I spent some time working on gumbi's, which felt really weird. Later, I did my chest and back GVT, supersetting ring rows and ring pushups. I did 10 sets of 10, keeping a tempo as close to 40X0 as I could. The rest period was 90 seconds, but I was forced to stop for 4 minutes after my 7th set by my mother. That's what I get for working out at home. :roll: