Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mono and Diglycerides

Philip Chubb

Philip Chubb

In my spare time, I sometimes enjoy label reading on foods and learning about different parts of nutrition. (Maybe I should get some friends or something). Something that I have been researching is mono and diglycerides. Apparently, these are just another name for a trans fat but with simply one or two less molecules. There doesn't seem to be enough evidence to confirm or deny this however. And given the U.S laws on trans fat labeling, it seems that it could be yet another way of getting around the trans fat laws. Does anyone know more about these or their effects of the body?

The prefix refers to how many fatty acid chains are bonded to a glycerol backbone, now from what I remember :roll: the stereochemistry of the double bond determines whether the lipid will be a trans or cis fatty acid. So I think, without really looking it up it be trans or not, depending. Don't hold me to it.

Philip Chubb

So it would have the same effect as a trans? Is this what you are saying? Thank you for the answer by the way!

Not the same, but Xglycerides can be trans or not depending on their make up; which makes them far different. The same goes for any other compounds, the stereochemistry (how the molecule has elements situated three dimensionally) will affect how our body reacts.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.