Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with gymnastic rings

Joseff Lea

I don't yet own a set of gymnastic rings, I would prefer to get a pair of xtreme rings but at the minute I can't afford them, well I have enough to buy the rings but not enough to pay shipping and import duty :( , so I have been trying to find a pair in the uk, and would appreciate your help as to what to do.

I found these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gym-Gymnastic-Rin ... 2694wt_982

they seem a bit cheap and I'm a bit concerned that they only have a max load of 200kg, I only weigh about 65Kg but I'm concerned that this isn't enough of a safety tolerance, what do you guys think? Should I get these, or make my own and save up until I can afford a set of extreme ring?

Thanks in advance

I would save till you can purchase one of Coach's ring sets. Some other generic ring sets have weak webbing, weird ring texture and the cam buckles may be weak.

• 3 weeks later...

a bit late reply...

depends how long you're gonna wait before buying xrings, I would get or assemble some just to get started and see if it's worth investing more money for better equipment after few months. I doubt you'll ever brake those just using them. The most important part is how you hang them.

anyway, search amazon.co.uk for "gymnastic rings" there are some available from 34gbp

I've also found this http://www.ukkettlebells.com/product/power-rings for 47gbp free uk delivery

I bet you'll find many rings searching for CrossFit equipment in UK.

Thanks for the help, couldn't for the life of me find decent looking rings in the UK. I've decided to wait until I can afford some elite rings as I could really do with the long straps. I don't think I'm quite ready for ring training yet so I'll get them in a couple of months.

Thanks again for the help :D

well, I advise you to buy 2 cheap and simple Tie-Down Straps with Cam Buckles, insert two short pipes (one on each strap) as handles and use this homemade device to train very bascics exercises like pushups, rows, planks, assisted pullups, inverted hang, hang l-sit, HLL, german hang, etc. I mean those can work a long way before you get xrings.

Remember to fix it on the ceiling (concrete) with 2 Eye Type Shield Anchors if you don't have an exposed beam or something else suitable. Hang the straps 50cm apart.

here's one my old post where you can get some ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4873

think hard and you'll find a way.

wow thanks, those are some great ideas. Trouble is I only rent the flat I live and I cant really drill into the ceiling :( . I have a couple of high stools that I use as a dip station and as boxes to do handstand presses off of, I also have a doorway pull up bar wich I was going to hang the rings off, it's not the most secure thing as I cant put screws in but I'm fine as long as I'm not doing anything inverted.

I was planning on working the inverted positions very close to the floor on the rings and tie a rope around the bar so if it comes loose it wont fall on my head. It really is less than ideal but I'm going to be moving out in a couple of months and hopefully the next place will have something better.

you're welcome, glad it's been helpful.

yea, just hang those straps from the door pullup bar. if you can't screw it onto the door frame (obviously) try building an inner door frame fitting 2 wood plank of the right size. DIY with few bucks I guess.

just an idea.

LaughingTiger

post-49635-13531537144792_thumb.jpg

Spinelli, I'm going to guess you have a bar similiar to the one above, since you mentioned screws. If you're going to continue to rent in the future, you might consider getting a bar like the one below. Mine has two horizontal bars, one bar that is there to ensure extra stability with the door frame and a separate bar for chin-ups and pull-ups.

post-49635-13531537144627_thumb.jpg

I am able to hang my rings from it to do a few things, including inverted hangs and some lever work. I hang the rings so that they are at the same height as my chest. I have an old mattress pad from my daughters crib on the floor below. When I kick into an inverted hang position, my head is near the pad but doesn't hit it.

I can stay in an inverted hang or continue into a german hang(skin the cat.) My feet are close enough to the floor so that I can use them to push myself back into an inverted hang position or return to my original position.

As others have pointed out in previous posts, you can always take your rings outdoors and take advantage of the many places available to hang your rings.

Yeah mine is like the top one, It's pretty solid unless I swing on it, just don't want to fall on my head. The other bar does look quite a bit more secure will probably get one.

Yeah I put pillows on the floor now after I fell off doing a front lever.

Next week I'll be at my parents house and will be able to us a homemade set of rings, Some climbing rope with a couple of figure 8 knots and plastic tubing slung over a wooden beam!

Hopefully the next flat I live in will have a tree outside, although it will probably rain all summer :(

Thanks for the advice