Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with overcoming plateau (changing training program)

gordon wright

gordon wright

Hi all

I have been watching this site for a while and using a lot of the methods described and have been seeing good progress in some areas.

A bit about myself: I have been rock climbing for a number of years and this was the enphasis of my traiing until i damaged a finger tendon and had to take some time off. I then stumbled a cross coach sommers article on Dragon door regarding front lever progressions and planche. My initial interest was regarding front levers as i could see the benefit in applying this skill to climbing. So i started doing the progressions and found i quickly progressed on the front lever doing them daily for 60 seconds and within 4 months i was doing straddle lever. I found the planche harder (as like most climbers i have an over developed back and under developed chest and shoulders). However in the same time i found myself progress from frog to tuck planche and can hold this for 12 seconds sometimes 20.

In the same time i have started goping to gymnastics when i can and i have managed to learn some skills can now hold a handstand for over 10 secs, muscle up (found this quite easy, must be the climbing), somersaults etc.

My areas of problem are handstand pushups I am feeling no progress in these despite feeling quite solid in a handstand, I have been doing negatives to try and build strength.

Also i seem to have plteaued in my planche at 6 sets of 10 secs in tuck three times a week ( i tried it every day but found the lack of rest detrimental)

My front lever has also stalled at the straddle which i can hold just off flat (slight pike) for 35 secs max. Problem is my elbows are staring to hurt from the levers.

I have been doing L sits on the ground and on my parallettes and i can esily hold for 20 seconds started adding in progress to V sits with ok results

My goals are to aquire a planche, full front lever, handstand push up, handstand press, Iron cross and to climb French 8a (climbers will understand).

Currently train three times a week (mon, weds & Fri) and attend gymnastics for skills once on a thursday.

Training consists of:

Handstands 10 mins of holds

10 hanstand lower negatives

Bulgarian dips 3 x 6

Cross pullouts (feet on box) 3 x 5

flys on rings (feet on box) 3 x 5

Planche progressions.

Front lever progressions.

Weigted pullups max 36kg 3 x 3

L sits 15 secs x 4

V sits progressions (max hold 3 secs)

Thats about it i think any help would be great and sorry it was so long!

Try adding some dynamic movements for your planche and front levers, also consider adding a few more sets with your dips and pull ups.

For your planche, work on some handstand presses, as this will improve both your shoulder strength, and your handstands. Some tuck planche push ups, or some pseudos. You can also try throwing in more volume for a week or so, then taking 3-4 days of rest.

Same things apply for the front lever, try some front lever pullups, skin-the-cats, ice-cream makers. You might also want to try some weighted rows. Since you mentioned your elbows where starting to hurt, that could be a sign that your joints need some conditioning, so you might want to do a lot of reps of a easier exercise to help your joints strengthen, such as body rows, or tuck planche push ups.

Another thing I have found to help me is perform whatever skill your trying to work for a few seconds every chance you get (so a straddle lever every time you come across a overhead bar or branch...ect), just remember to still take a few days off now and then.

Hope this helped,

Matt