Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the progression for a straddle L sit?

MatthewM

Coach,

Whats the progression for that hold your kid is doing in your dragon door article on front levers and planches, with his arms between his legs, and his torso parallel to the ground?

Do I just work the hold mentioned in your Manna article? Or work on straightening my legs in a frogstand?

And is a straddle L sit the proper term for that hold?

Thanks,

Matt

the straddle L-sit is relatively easy. work on your regular L-sits until you are proficient at them. work on your straddle and pike flexibility too. combine the two and you will be able to hold the straddle L-sit

Cathal he wasn't talking about the Straddle L-sit he was wondering if that was the term for this skill.

I'm not a floor guy or really to familiar with all of it's skills, but if anything I would call that a Delchev on the floor, but there is probably a different term.

This skill will require great flexibility, along with solid strength with the L position, tuck planche position and I would read up on the Manna Article for the flexibility training.

http://drillsandskills.com/article/15 Scroll down to straddle L.

Straddle L is not as musculary tough as an L sit. It is more challenging on the quad and hip flexors in the beginning. It will cramp you up.

Sit in a straddle. Lean forward with your shoulders over your hands. Try to pick your heels off the ground.

Honestly if your knees bend a bit, it's not the end of the world. You may not even be able to lean over your hands and pick your heels up.

Practice 3-5 lifts at first as slow and long as possible. Eventually you can build it up towards going faster but there is no necessity at first. Enjoy the pain. From there, we go to 10, 20, and 30.

Work just being able to hold it for 2 or 3 seconds and build from there.

Get out some parallettes or try it on floor if you have a good pancake.

This position is pretty much called a straddled L. It's very basic. It is used in stalder and endo rolls on floor ( a roll through this position ) as well as on UB and HB.

I've heard breakdancers call it the Boston Crab.

Straddle L is more about flexibility than any sort of strength. Even holding it for time isn't really indictative of strength but is of active flexibility ( and pain tolerance! ).

I suppose at the beginning stages, some may not be able to support themselves ( like the itty bitties who have the flexibility to get into it but neither the balance or strength to hold it ).

Thanks a lot for that advice!

So, I imagine working my pancake stretch is probably the best way to begin working on it?

Thanks,

Matt