Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Artificial sweeteners and insulin?

kbryk

This question has been on my mind for awhile, and I have done some Googling that led me to a myriad of opinions.

I was wondering if anyone has came across the effect of artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame, Saccharin, Surcalose etc...) on insulin?

George Launchbury

I haven't done any clinical investigation, but as someone who is digging their way back from "metabolic derangement", I have found that consuming food or drink with artifical sweetener (after convincing myself it will be fine) creates the same effect for me as the real thing, in terms of feeling rubbish* and triggering negative cascades.

* energy crash followed by craving carbs, feeling dehydrated, irritable ...and 'furry' teeth. I notice that a really good "insulin" indicator for me, when I am sticking to lower carb eating, is that when I come to clean my teeth they feel as smooth and shiny as they did right after they were last brushed. When I have carby days, they definitely feel like they need a good clean.

I also remember reading something along these lines a while ago:

This podcast (http://robbwolf.com/2010/04/06/the-paleolithic-solution-episode-22/) by Robb Wolf contains some discussion about artifical sweeteners, and in the comments he refers "Shilpa" to a study he mentioned in another post's comments (http://robbwolf.com/2007/12/01/insulin-resistance/) in response to Allen Yeh:

Allen-

This study from Circulation seems to indicate AS’s are as bad as the full sugar versions of sodas regarding insulin resistance and the development of an ath blood profile. There is likely a dose response issue here and if one is generally insulin sensitive it likely buys a bit of lee-way with regards to AS’s and the net effect on insulin status. I’m not familiar with the stevia info, however insulin resistance deranges energy metabolism on a systemic level so that may be what is happening here.

Robb

Study from Circulation: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.689935v1

You may well have stumbled upon this during your Googling anyway. I am not sure if I have actually read the study previously ...I have a feeling I did the same as today - see all that technical jargon and decide to go on Robb's evaluation!

In comment#4 there is some interesting discussion between Robb and Mike OD as well:

Robb,

Isn’t also one the biggest issue when it comes to insulin and fat storage the inverse relationship it has with fat burning hormones such as glucagon and growth hormone? If one has insulin resistance then the body pumps out more insulin to deal with the high blood sugar levels therefore shutting down fat burning hormones GH and glucagon. Usually right after exercise that increases insulin sensitivity fat storage is not an issue because that glucose is shuttles into the muscle cells, wheras other times with low sensitivity and high insulin fat cells are the storage house.

Mike-

Yep, this is how things like artificial sweeteners can cause havoc with fat loss. AS’s still release insulin and this shuts down lipolysis. I love the solution offered by the ADA/AMA: a 60% carb diet to keep blood glucose levels “constantâ€.

Robb

Cheers,

George.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.