Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Medical tests

Pranaman

I have been training for about two years, all of which has been endurance training such as calisthenics. Now, beginning the strength oriented training here, I think it would be a wise time to get blood work done to see make a starting point and see the results of my choices. I am insured, but they won't cover these tests unless the doctor asks for them. For cholesterol and insulin tests, I will just voice my fears based on family history with diabetes and heart disease.

Do you have any medical test recommendations for athletes? Any suggestions on how to go about requesting them from my doctor?

Thanks in advance.

David Barclay

Hi Pranaman, I used to be heavily into endurance athletics; primarily triathlons and marathons. I found regular blood tests where an extremely important tool in monitoring my overall health.

I would simply tell the truth; tell them what I am doing, and why I want a blood test. (I had an excellent doctor and it was not as issue.) Other people I knew with less than willing doctors would tell that they had been tired and run down, and had concerns about iron and B12 levels. A blood test requisition form has numerous check boxes, so it is not a stretch it ask 'while you are at it, why don't we look at....? I don't have an issues with lies of this nature - if more people cared what was going on inside them for the purpose of prevention, we certainly could prevent a lot of chronic and long term issues.

cheers,

David

From Mauro Di Pasquale's Metabolic Diet:

Before going on the Metabolic Diet you should get a complete physical from your

doctor. You should also have some blood workup including a complete blood count,

cholesterol levels (total, LDL, and HDL), TSH (a test for thyroid function), fasting blood

sugar, serum uric acid, serum potassium, liver function array and BUN.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.