Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about Rogue Fitness Wooden FIG rings

kbryk

Hi guys,

Haven't been around here in years (literally), I loved this forum when it first started and still find myself reading through infinite threads and learning something in all of them. I hit a brick wall with 2 of the same recurring injuries both last year and this year that had me outside of upper body work for easily 3-4 months at a time, tendonitis with torn muscles in my upper back(rhomboid, traps) and with all the moving around from school and back to home my cheap fishing rings(before Coach Sommer and alike released great rings) were lost. But now I have been caught by a second wind and want to get my gymnast skills and beastly strength back and hopefully reach my goals by this next fall semester(front lever, straddle planche, one arm handstand etc...).

Now onto the actual question, I saw these wooden FIG rings released by Rogue and I knew I had to have them as my new set of rings, I loved the set of wooden rings my school had in high school. I'm sure many of you use Coach Sommer's rings but I was wondering if any of you have had personal experience with these rings or head anything negative about them. Price is not a problem as a set of wooden FIG rings anywhere else will cost you more than double the price without the straps.

Thanks, and I hope to be around a lot more.

Alexander Moreen

My roommate recently bought a set of the bigger wooden rings from rogue. So far I think they are pretty cool, but they are smoother than the XR that coach makes, making them be a different challenge. The straps they come with seem to be a wider version of the XR straps, which could be a good or bad thing depending on where you want to setup. I like them almost as much as the XR. If I was in the market fora second set I'd buy the fig wooden ones for sure.

As an aside he also got the elite/exrf (however they brand it in the US) and sent them back the next day he disliked them so much.

I liked Tyler and his rings were amazing when I first checked them out back in 06. Mind you these were the composite rings and not the original metal ones. There was nothing like them around at the price niche.

The texture on the GB rings are VERY nice, especially compared to other composite rings. They will also work out of doors a lot better than wood will (due to moisture). I guess you could just seal the rings though.

More than likely, the composite rings will last longer than the wood rings as well.

George Launchbury
...Haven't been around here in years (literally)...

Hey, how's it going?

Been offline for a couple (is it really that long?) of years myself? It's great that so many of the same people are still active, and that it's the same great friendly (and knowledgable) community it always has been.

I don't know about the wooden rings, but I have Coach's Xtreme Rings and used to have a set of Elite Rings (older version, not the newer ones) and I much prefer the Xtreme rings. I gave the Elites away. I am sure they are very popular in the Crossfit community, and look quite cool - but the feel (and weight) wasn't anywhere near as good as the XRs.

Cheers,

George.

If you strip the texture off the new elite rings, you basically have the old elite rings designed stronger (they were known to break or crack if dropped from a height). Not my cup of tea, but some people love the textures. Some people strip it off and use tape.

• 1 year later...
Patrick Van de Glind

I have the Elite Rings and seem to slide out of False grip very easily..

Blairbob, what kind of tape would that be? i will give that a try.

At a local gym I rent an hour a week, they have wooden rings and there I don't lose

my False grip, so i'm either gonna buy a set of wooden rings or patch up the elite

ones..

Thanks!

Only go for oversized rings if you are a BIG sonnuva gun. A guy Josh's size, Slizzardman might need them but more than likely not if you're shorter than 6'2.

Erik Sjolin

I have both a pair of the Xtreme rings Coach uses and the wood FIG rings from Rogue (and I'm one of the big sunnuva guns Blairbob mentioned, by the way).

I like the wood ones because of both aesthetics (most of my equipment is wood) and my hands stick to them better. The hard plastic ones feel stronger, but I don't think I prepared them right because I have trouble keeping chalk on them, and when my hands get sweaty (they're always sweaty...) they slip. There's a couple spots on the wood rings that feel a little rough or uneven, but I like them.

Patrick Van de Glind

I got some athletic (in our country they call it sports) tape and taped up a quarter of the rings

and YES! it works like magic! now i can hold a false grip on them without slipping back :)

Thanks guys!

Only go for oversized rings if you are a BIG sonnuva gun. A guy Josh's size, Slizzardman might need them but more than likely not if you're shorter than 6'2.
FIG rings it is!