I have a bit of an explanation at the beginning and a few questions at the end ...
I currently train using the gymnastic bodies workout 3 days a week. I started 7 months ago and have been making considerable progress with a number of the statics and FBEs. I truly believe in this workout. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it. ![]()
However, I feel that my progress with some of the exercises is being slowed down due to overdoing the training and training incorrectly. Also, I fear that if I don't change my routine, I will be on the path to injury (for example, planches hurt my left wrist and forearm - doesn't help that I hurt my left wrist years ago ice skating). With that said, my typical routine is below (takes about 2 hours). Note that it took me several months to develop to this routine. So at first I was only doing about 15 minutes a day and it just steadily increased in time.
-20 minute warmup (mostly dynamic stretches and wrist strengthening)
-6 static holds for sets that total to 60s each hold - Would often try for record holds every week
-FBEs - 1 push, 1 pull, 1 leg, 2 core - 3 sets of 5 of each exercise (which totals to 15 FBEs a week)
-Handstand - Some specific exercises and stretches - I've been getting some lessons in this since it is so technical
I also do yoga a few times a week (about 4.5 - 6 hours of yoga total). So, as you can see, this is a lot of exercise. Also, I tend to split the workout between morning and night (1 hour each).
I spent several hours reading the forum over the past week to see how I can change my routine to make it more efficient. Note that I've read the forum in the past but not even close to as much as I've done recently. Here is what I came up with.
Morning ...
-Do 3-4 days a week (depending on how the body feels) utilizing steady state cycle (so I'll train for 8-12 weeks with same statics and FBEs)
-20 minute warmup (mostly dynamic stretches and wrist strengthening)
-4 static holds (p, l, bl, fl) for sets that total to 60s each hold where each hold is about 50% of my max hold, keeping everything about hold the same throughout cycle - The planches are now much less taxing on the wrist, especially b/c I will no longer even try flat tuck planches and will only stick with tuck ones
-WOD - I will do this instead of the FBEs - Hence, I will now be doing dynamic strength work, embedded/giant/tempo sets, multiplane exercises, etc. - I will use same FBEs I've been practicing throughout, though will not try to advance with FBE during cycle
Night ...
-Handstand - Instead of doing everyday, I will do just a few days each week
This would be about 1-1.5 hours instead of 2 hours and less taxing on the statics and handstands. Also, I'm doing some wrist extensor exercises and scar tissue massaging to help alleviate my wrist further since that is my biggest concern.
--------------
Here are my questions:
-I reviewed the past two month's WODs. By changing to WODs instead of the 15 FBEs I do each week, I would only be doing about 5 or 6 of the 15 FBEs. So should I just skip the FBEs that were not covered in the FBEs? For example, it took me about 5 months to get 3 sets of 5 SLSs on a surface a few inches above the ground. Should I skip this if it is not in the WOD for a week or two? I would hate to lose the progress that I've sought so hard to achieve.
-I would like to maintain my manna and straddle L progress. Do you recommend that I do these as part of my night routine? Coach says that his students train manna at least 5 minutes twice a week, so I'd like to do that. Also, I'd like to do straddle L twice a week for 60s total hold each side.