Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Use of Bands

DSears

Coach Sommer,

I've got a question about learning the tuck planche. I've got the frog stand down but the tuck planche is coming along slowly. Last night I experimented with using an exercise band to take a bit of the weight off of my lower body. I looped it around my ankles and was able to get in the correct position and hold it for 10 seconds. Is this OK or would I be better off continuing to try to do the tuck planche without any assistance? I figured that as I build my strength I can omit the band.

Thanks,

David

Coach Sommer

I have never used the bands in this manner, however I see no harm in training with them for a while. Please keep us updated!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

i used bands to get from not being able to hold a tuck planche, to a 30 second planche, just make sure to press as hard as you can upwards, as to minimize the assistance the bands give you

• 1 month later...

Wow I never thought of this. I am definitely going to give this a try.

EDIT: Holy crap! This worked remarkably well. I can easily hold the straight arm frog for 60 seconds and beyond, but I could not for the life of me get the tuck planche. With the bands I can hold the tuck planche, and am making sure to press as hard as i can. Hopefully this will help my progress until I don't have to use the bands.

Coach Sommer

Bands can be enormously helpful; IF you use them correctly. In order to get maximum benefits from training with bands you must:

1) Continue to make sure that you are technically in the correct position. For example when training a planche variation, make sure you still have with enough forward lean and completely straight arms. The support of the bands can make it very easy to perform elements incorrectly and then, when the support of the bands is removed, you find that your strength has regressed rather than progressed.

2) Make sure you are making an honest effort in the position you are working rather than simply laying on and letting the bands do the work.

3) The assistance the bands are providing should be just barely enough for you to accomplish your goal. The degree of help which bands provide can be adjusted by either adjusting the height of the overhead support you are using or by elevating your own working height in relation to that same overhead support.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

When I use the bands, I am still fighting like heck to hold the tuck planche, and i do it by a mirror to check my form.