Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry for all the questions buuutttt....

Newguy

Water? I know that the "Average" Human is supposed to drink about 8 cups a day. But most people on this forum are not average. So how much water do we need. How much should be the least, the most, and perfect amount to drink!!!

Philip Chubb

No one really knows the exact amount but in general the answer is more. It is pretty difficult to drink too much water.

Mkay, But my main question is that, does working out, and your body being under constant fatigue require more water then a normal person with a desk job?

It would seem that way, i mean if you conspicuously sweat it would seem you need to put in more fluid to replace it.

Humidity is a factor too, if its very dry you loose more water just sitting. So in the right conditions a desk person might need more water.

I'm for the most part in favor of the road less extreme though without doubt DRINK WATER! Is it 8 glasses or 4 is debatable, urine color and thirst are very reliable indicators. If your urine is dark you certainly need more water.

Robb Wolfe in recent podcast also advocated this, and as well, if you drink lots and are still thirsty, add salts.

Okay thanks, this will help!!! :)

Oh, and what type of salt, just regular sea salt? And one thing, on the days when I drink quite a bit of water, I tend to feel more thirsty??? This confuses me :?

Any salt will do, sea is excellent.

I've had that drink and feel thirsty thing too, its a good question. Its one of the things that some times makes me question the must have 8 glasses a day rule. But i'm not a doctor.....

Joshua Naterman

I don't remember where to find it, but there is a "standard" conversion for water consumption based on body weight. On average, it says that I need around 116 oz of water a day, as an example. I remember my numbers, but not the site. Sorry! That was for when I was 225, so right now at 214 I need slightly less.

The visual rule is that you should be peeing extremely light yellow or clear. If you see light yellow, you need 16-24 oz of water to start with. Then you judge based on your next urination color. If you are peeing dark yellow you need at least 32 oz. The salting of the water is excellent, ALL of my water is salted now. You want a maximum of 1/4 teaspoon per liter or 32 oz of water, so one teaspoon per gallon. Do not confuse that with table spoons, that would be bad. I personally put slightly less in that, probably 3/4 teaspoon ground sea salt for every gallon to account for the extraordinarily small amount of salt in the food that I eat.

It is no good if you eat salty food and drink water later, you have to have the salt with your water for it to help and you have to keep it at 600mg (1/4 tsp) or less of salt per quart or liter. That is the concentration your body maintains in the blood, so if you drink more than that your body has to suck water OUT of the cells in order to thin the salt out. That's why eating too much salt is bad. It's not about salt in general, it is about the salt concentration in the bodily fluids and blood especially. If you have slightly less salt than that or exactly that much salt, your body will soak up the water and the salt very quickly. If you don't have enough salt, your body will only soak up enough water to keep the salt concentration relatively balanced. By drinking water that has the exact amount of salt dissolved in it as your blood does you will absorb however much water your body actually needs since you won't be altering the salt balance. It makes more sense when you think of it that way. It also works, and works incredibly well.

I don't remember where to find it, but there is a "standard" conversion for water consumption based on body weight. On average, it says that I need around 116 oz of water a day, as an example. I remember my numbers, but not the site. Sorry! That was for when I was 225, so right now at 214 I need slightly less.

The visual rule is that you should be peeing extremely light yellow or clear. If you see light yellow, you need 16-24 oz of water to start with. Then you judge based on your next urination color. If you are peeing dark yellow you need at least 32 oz. The salting of the water is excellent, ALL of my water is salted now. You want a maximum of 1/4 teaspoon per liter or 32 oz of water, so one teaspoon per gallon. Do not confuse that with table spoons, that would be bad. I personally put slightly less in that, probably 3/4 teaspoon ground sea salt for every gallon to account for the extraordinarily small amount of salt in the food that I eat.

It is no good if you eat salty food and drink water later, you have to have the salt with your water for it to help and you have to keep it at 600mg (1/4 tsp) or less of salt per quart or liter. That is the concentration your body maintains in the blood, so if you drink more than that your body has to suck water OUT of the cells in order to thin the salt out. That's why eating too much salt is bad. It's not about salt in general, it is about the salt concentration in the bodily fluids and blood especially. If you have slightly less salt than that or exactly that much salt, your body will soak up the water and the salt very quickly. If you don't have enough salt, your body will only soak up enough water to keep the salt concentration relatively balanced. By drinking water that has the exact amount of salt dissolved in it as your blood does you will absorb however much water your body actually needs since you won't be altering the salt balance. It makes more sense when you think of it that way. It also works, and works incredibly well.

That's good info, i thought it was enough to eat salt with food.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago at a gymnastics clinic for USA Gymnastics, the baseline was 1ounce for every 2lbs. Then add for dehydration due to training.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.