Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How antiflammatory is fish oil?.......VERY

Kyle Courville

Kyle Courville

I stumbled across a decent nutritional website that details the nutritional information and other qualities of food. I like how the site includes the inflammation factor of foods. I was quite shocked at the antiflammatory numbers of the fish oil(cod liver) when compared to something like spinach. The numbers are of the charts.

Here is a link:http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/628/2

Enjoy.

Kyle Courville

I would also like to add that of the fish oils, salmon is the most anti-inflammatory of all the fish oils listed. When compared to fish oil, flaxseed oil is very weak.

yuri marmerstein

Take into account the serving size.

I doubt you're going to be chugging a full glass of cod liver oil

Kyle Courville
Take into account the serving size.

I doubt you're going to be chugging a full glass of cod liver oil

I would hate to see the person brave enough to do that. :lol: I was talking about a tsp(4g) which is a typical amount. I wish I knew how they calculated the anti-inflammatory properties of food, because I don't fully trust it. They still think cholestorol and saturated fats are bad, but besides that it appears to be a decent site.

I don't know how they backed up their information in this study but inflammation in the clinical setting is highly subjective from person to person. 4 main tests can indicate inflammation which are neutrophil count, Rheumatoid factor (RF), C-reactive protein (CRP) and Lactate dehydrogenase (LDH). No single marker on it's own is definitive but two or more would suggest inflammation. RF is used to monitor arthritis in chronic patients and LDH is more muscle damage (i.e. heart attack). These two are probably the most specific to joint damage yet neutrophil count and CRP are most sensitive to inflammation. You're neutrophil count can spike by running up the stairs.

HAHAHAHAHA you pay my seminar and we have a deal :mrgreen:

Now that's something you won't see!

(At least while Slizz is still broke and in school)

• 1 month later...

The Omega-3 Fatty Acid ratio has something to do with the property of how "anti-inflammatory" different fats are. I believe I have read a few studies/articles that have came to the conclusion that higher amounts of DHA and EPA the more anti-inflammatory it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a problem with piriformis syndrome for about a year. I learned that fascial inflammation is likely part of the problem, or any physical problem, and that increasing my level of hydration and fish oil intake would help hydrate and reduce inflammation of of my "injury". Following this advice, I've drastically reduced the irritation of my sciatic nerve and also muscular tension in that area. It's really awesome. Part of the problem could also have been that the sciatic was inflamed from being irritated by the muscle so much. Anyway, I've only upped my intake over the last two weeks to 3-4g of salmon fish oil.

And nutritiondata is a very useful site, especially for easily finding the fatty acid profiles of your food.

Joshua Naterman
The Omega-3 Fatty Acid ratio has something to do with the property of how "anti-inflammatory" different fats are. I believe I have read a few studies/articles that have came to the conclusion that higher amounts of DHA and EPA the more anti-inflammatory it is.

It is a function of interaction with cox receptors. All omega whatever fats are inflammatory, but omega 3 is 5-20x LESS inflammatory due to its drastically reduced ability to be converted into prostaglandins and some other crap. SO basically our bodies are really bad at using omega 3 fats to produce certain inflammatory compounds.

The benefit to more omega 3 is that they seem to out-compete for receptor sites with omega 6. They can basically hog the cox receptors so that omega 6 fatty acids don't get as many chances to be converted into inflammatory compounds. Pretty neat, huh.

Ah ha so that's the reasoning, i'll buy that for a dollar!

So then what happens if you don't intake any omega anything? Will that have a better anti inflammatory response? If so what do yo replace that with, this almost is going full circle...

So then what happens if you don't intake any omega anything? Will that have a better anti inflammatory response? If so what do yo replace that with, this almost is going full circle...

More saturated fat and a low total amount of poly unsaturated fat calls for less oxidative stress because more of your cell membranes will be made of saturated fat which is not really oxidizeable. From what I've read it's more about the omega 3-6 ratio and not the total amount.

Joshua Naterman

Yea, my understanding is that all fatty acids are inflammatory on an absolute scale. The Omega 3s just prevent fatty acids that are MORE inflammatory from binding with relevant receptor sites. EPA in particular seems to cause nonproductive binding, which is what you want.

I am not as knowledgeable about the inflammatory effect of cell membrane fatty acids. I have read that stearic acid is the ideal fatty acid for cell membranes, but I do not know what factors affect fatty acid selection in cell genesis.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.