Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

v-sit and manna on rings

Kyle Courville

Kyle Courville

I was wondering why I never saw a v-sit or manna on rings despite having seen many l-sits. :| Do you know of anyone who tried to train them, or will I be the first? :mrgreen: (If you don't know of anyone that was a decent gymnast who tried, you can't say it is not possible.) :D

Kyle Courville

Well, this will be a new distant goal. In 6 years I may have the first ring manna..............maybe. :D

Dillon Zrike

A manna is done by pushing your hips forward. This means you are pushing the ground back behind you. If you tried to do this on the rings they would simply move backward and you would fall forward. This is why the skill is literally impossible. Now if someone could figure out how to do a manna by pushing straight down then it could be possible on the rings....but I don't think the manna is possible by only pushing down. So don't count on ever seeing it on rings.

Dillon

Kyle Courville
A manna is done by pushing your hips forward. This means you are pushing the ground back behind you. If you tried to do this on the rings they would simply move backward and you would fall forward. This is why the skill is literally impossible. Now if someone could figure out how to do a manna by pushing straight down then it could be possible on the rings....but I don't think the manna is possible by only pushing down. So don't count on ever seeing it on rings.

Dillon

I think it might be possible to enter. One way would be to lean back significantly from a V-sit as if approaching a victorian. Then, press the hips up and forward while leaning backwards(to counter balance the forward movement of hips) until the manna is reached. This method, if possible, would definitely require a lot of strength.

Another possible way would be to swing from a planche, but I think one would just fly off the rings.

Even though I think it is possible to enter, I think the hardest part would be holding it on the rings.

Animalonfire

Have a look at the press to planche. The move starts off with a press forward, which doesn't upset the rings very much because gravity is holding them down. C of G remains over pivot (give or take room for whatever can be corrected by moving rings) and nothing falls over. The only difference between pressing to planche and manna as far as I can see is the direction the shoulder presses.

I doubt it will be done any time soon though, as most can't do a manna on the floor

Kyle Courville
Have a look at the press to planche. The move starts off with a press forward, which doesn't upset the rings very much because gravity is holding them down. C of G remains over pivot (give or take room for whatever can be corrected by moving rings) and nothing falls over. The only difference between pressing to planche and manna as far as I can see is the direction the shoulder presses.

Yes, physics wise it is very possible. The strength to hold it will have to be developed though.

I I doubt it will be done any time soon though, as most can't do a manna on the floor

I hope to have a solid manna in about 1-3 years time. I will then proceed to developing it on rings(willl post a video when I get it). :evil: I am very strong at pushing my hips forward in the MSH position, but my active pike and straddle stink right now.

What you seem to be talking about is not a manna. A manna is done with shoulders over the hands, there is not any backward lean. A planche leans over the rings and your upper body counterbalances your legs. This is a completely different movement than a manna. What you are referring to would be more of a reverse planche, which is basically a higher than rings victorian.

Dillon

Isn't a reverse planche essentially a laid out manna?

The difference is that in a manna you have counterbalance from the part of your legs that's past your center of gravity, where as in a reverse planche the legs would be in an extension of the body and thus a lean angle would be required. In the manna there is no lean angle.

I underatand that there is counter balance involved in the manna position, but concerning whether a manna is possible or possible on rings, i don't really see how the counterbalanced or shoulder angle would male the position any more or less physically possible than a "reverse planche." If you put enough weight on someones neck in a regular planche you could counter balance them to the point that there shoulders were directly over there hands but the position would still be just as possible to hold on rings wouldn't it?

• 5 years later...