Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Designing A Circuit

Edward Smith

Edward Smith

I would like to include a circuit in my training but am unsure how to design one. My main goal with a circuit would be to increase more of a fitness element into my workouts and reduce the time taken. Could anybody help me with a structure/philosophy a circuit should follow?

Thank you,

Ed

Graham Hayes

There is no right way to design a circuit. For a philosophy then check http://www.crossfit.com out. Generally decide what you want to get out of the circuit. For a heavy cardio hit then keep the reps you do lower and the rounds higher.

eg:

20 minutes of:

5 press ups

10 sit ups

15 squats

For stamina increase the reps you do before switching exercises.

eg:

3 rounds of:

30 press ups

50 sit ups

70 squats

You can also mix it up by having a heavy metabolic impact and then require yourself to do a challenging strength component like handstand press ups.

eg:

5 rounds:

Row 200m

15 burpees

5 handstand pressups

Hope that helps!

Edward Smith

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the advice. I would have thought a cardio oriented circuit to be comprised of really high rep stuff but there t you go. I was mainly wondering if it should follow something along the lines of upper, middle and lower body? and also with crossfit is there an actual article on how to build/design a circuit, or would I be able to find something in the forum or is just a matter of reading into the WOD's and getting something out of them.

Thanks again,

Ed

Coach Sommer

My recommendation would be to check out the Podkatchka workouts that Ido Portal posted. They are excellent and far better suited for building gymnastics specific strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Edward Smith

Russian Podkatchka

Yes, I completely forgot about that post! But after reading it thoroughly, it is way beyond my capabilities. I can scale most of the stuff to my abilities, some things I think would be best left out completely (due to being unfamiliar with certain movements made more dangerous due to fatigue). One question that arises about the 'circuit' is it seems it would create a LOT of "pump", which as I understand is something circuits try to avoid, my guess is that is wasn't much of a concern to the russians. It would be great if Ido could input in this (hint, hint!), actually that reminds me Ido mentioned A circuit called "The Key" in an earlier post, would it be to much to ask if you could post that, probably, but I'll ask anyway. Please?

Another thought for a circuit I had was a static circuit, at school I was bored so I wrote down a heap of static holds and thought perhaps I could put those into a circuit. I reckon it could be a good warm up and/or cool down, it contains static holds that are all quite easy for me, any thoughts?

Thanks for your advice,

Ed

You can also mix it up by having a heavy metabolic impact and then require yourself to do a challenging strength component like handstand press ups.

eg:

5 rounds:

Row 200m

15 burpees

5 handstand pressups

Hope that helps!

Jumping in a little, but got a question about the burpees followed by the handstand pressups. Me is told that you shouldn't do headstand right after sprints, because of the higher heart rate and all the blood lowering to head or something like that.. It just wasn't a good idea, and I could faint out..

I'd like to hear your opinions about this..

Graham Hayes

ed x, if you had high reps you'd need to rest during the set and would then catch your breath, with the lower reps and constant changing of exercise the need to rest would come from your lungs protesting rather than your muscles.

With regards to upper/middle/lower it's not that important, it's something you'll have to experiment with. On the one hand you want to be able to maintain a high intensity which you could do by not overstressing the same muscle groups but then on the other hand the challenge of overstressing the same muscle groups may help you get fitter. And yes the best way to learn about Crossfit circuits is by looking at the WODs and forum.

Danniboi, maybe you could faint, I don't know. I'm confident I wouldn't because I train in this manner regularly. Which is the key I guess.

Edward Smith

Thanks Graham, that's a very good (yet simple) point.

Danni, I wouldn't suggest doing any inverted work after heavy aerobic or anaerobic work if you have high blood pressure (not just as a result of the sprints), and if you are new to gymnastics/bodyweight exercises ease into it. If you feel light headed or anything that indicates you might pass out get out of your inverted position immediately. If you have high blood pressure I would consult a doctor on how to approach such matters.

Ed

Nic Scheelings

Hey Ed,

This post got me interested in trying a strength circuit of my own so i did!

It's on youtube

To be honest it was probably a bit too demanding as my body was shot afterwards but perhaps this is something u would like to try as well?

Cheers Nic