Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What tempo does Coach Sommer use for FBE's?

Longshanks

This kinda started with me inquiring about the validity of negative only training but I think this new query requires a new thread. Once his athletes have progressed past needing to utilize negative only training, what tempo does Coach Sommer use for the main FBE's? I.e. Pistols, NLC's, Pull-ups, rings push-ups and HLL's.

I'm imagining around 4-0-1-0 for pistols & NLC's

3-0-1-1 for pull-ups and push-ups

3-0-1-2 for HLL's

(Notations are for Eccentric-bottom hold-concentric-top hold)

Any comments?

Thanks Blairbob, this is the info I managed to find in the WOD's if anyone's interested:

5) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets.

6) For the muscle-ups, this equates to a 3 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 3 second descent. The required tempo includes your work through the transition. Be sure to choose a muscle-up variation that allows the tempo to be correctly maintained.

3) Perform the NLC and Negative Side Lever Pulls with a tempo of 411. This is read as a 4 second descent, a 1 second pause and then a 1 second ascent.

5) For today’s WOD utilize a tempo of 212 on the first four reps and then a tempo of 2-10-10 on the final fifth rep. For example on the last rep of a Reverse Yewki set insert a static hold of 5-10 sec at the bent arm position followed by a SLOW (5-10 sec) descent back to the straight arm.

5) Use a tempo of 213 for the basic strength sets. For the Yewkis, this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 3 second descent.

5) Use a tempo of 212 for the basic strength sets. For the XR FL Rows, this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 2 second descent.

4) Use a tempo of 232 for these basic strength sets. In the case of the Assisted OAC this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 3 second pause at the top, then a 2 second descent.

4) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets. For the pull-ups, this equates to a 3 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 3 second descent.

7) Use a tempo of 42X for the PL Leans. This equates to a 4 second descent, followed by a 2 second pause at the bottom, then exploding as fast as possible into the ascent.

3) Add additional weight as necessary to make the SLS and HeS RLL sufficiently challenging.

4) Use a Tempo of 313 for this workout. This equates to a 3 second descent, a 1 second pause and a 3 second ascent.

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Elevated XR Row

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo XR PPP

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Body Levers

5) Use a tempo of 412 for the basic strength sets. This equates to a 4 second descent, followed by a 1 second pause at the bottom, then a 2 second ascent.

If I've missed any feel free to post them aswell, have run out of time now. Think I get the idea that each rep should last approx 6-7 seconds total, with a 1s pause at the hardest point in the ROM and the negative slightly longer or the same as the concentric portion.

Gavin Strelitz

This was an overlooked area in my SSC, so thanks for bringing my attention to it.

Can anyone explain the differences in the tempo in terms of the benefits for each? For example, what will a 313 tempo for a PPP accomplish as opposed to, say a 212 or a 232?

Thanks

Nice job compiling everything Longshanks!

Though not a true member of this list, i'll add the 30 second muscle up negative.

This was an overlooked area in my SSC, so thanks for bringing my attention to it.

Can anyone explain the differences in the tempo in terms of the benefits for each? For example, what will a 313 tempo for a PPP accomplish as opposed to, say a 212 or a 232?

Thanks

No problem. If anyone has the time you just go to Coach Sommers profile and search 'tempo' and 'WOD' if they feel I've left any out, I only had about half an hour to spare to do this really. He doesn't seem to do tempo on all of the WOD's and I wasted a lot of time just searching each one individually at first. I was reading Pavel's books again this week and noticed he advises the same slow tempo of between 5-9seconds per rep. I actually noticed quite a lot of crossover between Pavel's principals and Coach Sommer's.