Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Milk only contains 1% Whey Portein.....

chingyvang

http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm#14

According to this Whey Protein site, Milk is highly nutritious but only contains about 1% of whey protein. I call BS because all other sites on google say that Milk contains about 20% whey and 80% casein. So i'm thinking they just want to sell their whey products.

Anyways just looking for other alternatives because I hated whey protein shakes, it gave me gas, acidic stool, diarrhea, taste bad

20% of the 3.5% protein per 100grams.. sounds like about 1% total weight

Yep! you often hear adverts playing on stuff like this. Like "did you know milk only is 4% fat" while neglecting to say people eat/drink it in far higher weights than other foods, so 4% of 1 litre is ~40g, while very few people would eat a kilo of other foods. If the same people wanted to promote it as a high fat food they would quote a very high portion and tell the fat content as grams and not %.

Yep, last i remember, cow's milk is 80% casein, 20% whey. Human milk is 60% whey, 40% casein though.

Chingyvang, what ethnicity are you? Sounds like possibly lactose intolerance. However, some people who seem to be lactose intolerant do alright by raw milk or whey from raw milk (instead of pasteurized milk).

You can also see about the whey protein that filters out most of the lactose, however, I hear it harms the whey in a way (look up whey isolate), tastes worse and is more expensive. Then again, raw milk whey isn't cheap either.

Alternatives to whey? Not really other than just eating animal protein. Still not as potent since whey is known for all kinds of uses and was known for them since ancient times (Greeks).

James Portillo

Interesting.. I've also read somewhere on the forum that Whey Protein concentrate is more effective than Isolate, which I believe was said by Ido. Would anyone know why? It's interesting to me because 1) I've been torn between whether or not to consume milk PWO (or at all) and 2) Everytime I get a whey protein product I've been going for the Whey Protein Isolates =/

Whey Protein Isolates are typically more expensive besides having most of the lactose filtered out. However, some filtering procedures to make the Isolates denature the protein so they lose a lot of their bioactive and immunological properties.

Concentrates are cheaper but still have lactose.

Cross Flow filtration is better than Ion Exchange in preserving the power of Whey.

Hyrolyzed Whey protein absorbs faster but is yet more expensive and known for a bad taste. Often it's only mixed with other whey proteins due to cost.

According to T-nation, the latest thing is hydrolyzed casein.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.