Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The effect of creatine & b. alanine on static holds

Søren

Might be a stupid question, but as I'm only working the static positions atm, I was wondering whether I would still have a noticeable benefit from taking creatine and beta alanine?

BR Søren

As well as I'm aware, the weight gain (if any) would only be temporary.. You don't think that beta alanine would have a positive effect on the longer sets?

You will still be using phosphocreatine to power the statics even if they are 15-20s. I doubt you will see a noticeable increase however.. I wouldn't worry about it until doing more than just statics though, I doubt it's worth the money.

Do a google search for a creatine study on the Iron Cross by Valentin Uzonov of TheGymPress. I could not find it on his website but you can find it via google.

Sorry but that study was done on a single person who was already strong as hell, I don't see that study proving anything.

The only studies that have shown a benefit to beta-alanine were combined with creatine. Results are still too preliminary, IMO, to spend money on it. But maybe you are rich and in a big hurry for some reason?

@triangle: I'm not in a hurry, and tbh I'm not very rich either :mrgreen: But its not like creatine or beta alanine is very expensive, and if it could lead to a noticeable improvement in my performance, I guess it would be worth it.

But as I thought, the effect will probably be very limited, so I guess I'll save my money for now. Thanks for your opinions :)

there has been a similar thread awhile back regarding KreAlkyn. Do the search as I came up with it yesterday.

Supplement with whey pre, during and post workout should be pretty good but perhaps creatine+beta alanine is more potent? I imagine creatine+beta alanine doesn't have the lactose issues.

The most noticeable effects reported were the improved recovery rate from trainings and ability to maintain intensity during training sessions. Based on the results from the study and research there is some evidence to suggested that Kre-Alkalyn® supplementation can be a useful ergogenic aid in the training of gymnastics strength skills for both novice and elite level athletes who undergo extensive intensive training.

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2112

Joshua Naterman

I mostly agree with Razz. The creatine will help some for sure, creatine supplementation DOES help extend the time the CP cycle can sustain contractions, you have to remember that the 5s rule is for nearly maximal loads. With 20s FSP sets the intensity is still high, but will not drain the CP system as quickly. Having said that, it will probably not work miracles but will provide a noticeable boost over time. This will not help if you are not developing balanced strength. This is why you should be using more than just the FSP for your workouts, it is pretty much impossible to develop balanced strength with JUST the FSP because you are not moving through full ranges of motion.

If your diet is not already perfect, you are throwing money down the tube with supplements. They can make up for dietary deficiencies in terms of performance to a certain degree, but it's pretty stupid to spend 60+ a month when you could just tweak your diet for a fraction of that price (and perhaps SAVE money by doing so). Supplementation is for those whos diet is so good already that you really can't make it better. When THAT happens, you see some truly impressive gains combined with supplementation.

@Slizzardman: The reason why I'm only doing the FSP's atm, is that I try to focus 100% on these for my first couple of cycles.. In a month or so, I'll add more exercises, and by then I'm probably gonna use creatine and beta alanine too..

When it comes to my diet, I've been very strict with what I eat lately, so that shouldn't keep me from supplementing. But I definitely agree with you on that one.

Once you up volume and start adding more dynamic stuff (more micro tears will happen with dynamic training) then you will need better recovery and then it makes sense to add supplement as measures to improve your recovery. Ido likes to do this whenever work capacity increases.

Soren, I would still reccomend doing some FBE's in tandem with your FSP's. If you are concerned about volume or how lively you will be after the FSP's, I still think it would be good to do 1-2 sets of FBE's as a mini circuit. Think pullup, pushup, skin the cats. Rest a bit and repeat. Figure out what you can do time wise. I've come to prefer doing FBE's as they are done in the GB WOD's but a mini circuit is doable if I'm pushed for time.

Joshua Naterman

Agreed. You will be wasting a bit of time by not working on FBE as well as FSP. Not wasting time as in getting zero results, but wasting time in the sense that you would make much better progress if you were working the FBE as well.

Well, about 1 1/2 years ago I implemented the FSP's into my usual dynamic training and reduced the dynamic volume a bit, but after only a few months I skipped them, as my progress didn't really live up to my expectations. To make a long story short, I got injured last christmas and I just started working out again in the end of this summer. Meanwhile I've read Steve Low's article on bodyweight strength training, where he recommends beginners only to work on the FSP's in the beginning to let the body acclimate to them, and I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm not saying this will give me better results than working the FBE's simultaneos, but until so far it definitely has worked out better for me than the last time, so I think I'll keep on going like this for a little while yet, until I start doing the FBE's too.

Joshua Naterman

There you go, I mean I'm not suggesting it won't work, so if that's what you feel comfortable with then go for it!

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.