Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multi-plane movement?

Guest Vinstorr

Guest Vinstorr

Hello, coach Sommer mentioned about multi-plane movements in several threads. Does it mean that multi-plane movements are better than doing the actual exercises in separate? For example: doing a muscle-up is better than doing a pullup and a dip in separate?

I would have to think that putting exercises together such as a muscle up compared to a dip and a pullup would be better, because you are working that range of muscles and everything that supports it along the way, although it may seem tougher it will defiantly benefit you, I work both dips, pullups and muscles together and I have seen great gains while I am busting my butt working on these skills together.

For normal everyday purposes I don't think it would help to much but if you are specifically training for something then do it! Or you just would like to be a bull at a specific movement.

:wink:

Guest Ido Portal

A Muscle up is not a multi-plane movement. It is a movement performed in one plane - the frontal/coronal plane.

An example of a multi plane movement is Yewkis for it is a combination of movements along the coronal and transverse planes.

The control of movement of the human body in 3-d space and along the various planes is one of the reasons gymnastics produces such amazing strength gains.

Guest Vinstorr

Oh I get it. Thanks guys! When coach Sommer said it's a multi-plane pulling exercise. Did he mean pulling vs pushing exercise or static vs pull?

Pulling vs pushing, I'm fairly sure that a front lever is pulling even though it's static and a planche is pushing, even though it is static as well. The antithesis of static would be dynamic.

mutli-plane...

Think first of a strict pullup, you move up and down, not forward or back, or side to side. That is a singular plane...

Think of walking in a straight line on a flat surface, for the most part its a single plane also, you move forward or backwards, not left or right, not up or down.

compare that to a yewkis, which is a multiplane pulling exercies, you pull your body up towards the bar, and you also rotate your body horizontally.. i.e. multi plane.

also consider pushing up from an L-sit into a handstand... that would be considered a multi plane pushing exercise because you arn't just moving up or down, left or right, or forward or backwards, you are more or less rotating about a point, which are your shoulders and involve more or less moving from down to up, and from forward to back ( think of your center of gravity throughout the movement) i.e. multi - plane...

hope this helps...

Guest Vinstorr

Just wanna let you guys know, coach Sommer answered my question on YouTube and he said he prefer to use multi-plane movements whenever possible. :D

• 5 weeks later...
hairConditioning

yewkis arent performed in a transversal or in a frontal plane, they are just performed in a sagittal plane, the WHOLE TIME!

there is neither a rotation (transversal plane!) nor a motion in abduction/ to the side! (frontal plane!), its the SAME AXIS DURING THE WHOLE TIME!

maybe i think different about planes, but i work with planes in my job and i dont see any multiple planes in yewkis for sure!

but of course: nearly ALL gymnastic exercises proceed more or less in 3D because you have to stabilize your joints in all direction (this is the reason why isolations "bodybuilding" exercises on maschines have no refer to reality, THEY WORK IN JUST ONE PLANE!!! and dont make you stronger, there are no functionality)

and for sure, ALL EXERSICES on rings are 3D exersices (especially for your shoulder!)

for example look at erbs: these are just a combination of 45° straddle planche pushup and the combo handstand-to-45°straddle planche- to- handstand (i dont know, there is a special name to it?), just a combination of exersices, not a combination of planes!

in my opinion: multiplane movement are just 2 or more combined exersices in one (and maybe this is the best thing ever, haha, you train one exersice but you get better in more than just one exersice)!

(and then muscle ups ARE multiplane movements! and of course there is more 3D in muscle ups as in yewkis!)

i think im right, otherwise there are different definitions of planes!?

peace :shock:

Coach Sommer

I agree that for engineering or physics the definition of what constitutes a plane may be different; however in regards to gymnastics conditioning a plane constitutes a single direction through which force is applied as either a push or a pull. A pull-up is a single plane pulling movement. A row is another example of a single plane pulling movement. A Yewki however is a multi-plane pulling (MPPu) movement as it contains elements of both a pull-up action and a rowing action.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

hairConditioning

ok thanks for the answer coach!

then we talk about two different definitions, no problem, hehe, it happens :lol: