Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

splits routine

Edward Smith

I want everyone's ideas and opinions on training for the splits.

Here's my static routine, I really didn't have dynamic stretches in my routine just because I didn't know many:

(do a warm up first)

-toe touch (sitting down), hold for 30 secs then 10-2o second isometric might do this once or twice

-butterfly (groin) stretch, hold for 20-30 secs then 10 second isometric then relax a little longer

-straddle as far as i can hold for about 20 then elbows on the ground 20 then reaching out as far as i can for about 20 and maybe a bit of an isometric stretch in there

-then i might do side splits (not all the way down just as far as i can go) for 30 then isometric hold

-lunging stretch for 30 secs, then from there straighten my front leg and try for my face to my knee for 30 secs, then go back to alunge but grab my back ankle and pull for 3 sec

-finally i do front splits for 30 second

my old coach at gym told me for splits a good way to increase flexibility is when doing front or side splits take your hands of the ground and support your weight by your legs for ten seconds, sound right to you?

i will include some dymnamic and actice stretches in my new routine. With active stretches most of them i dont get a stretch on, for example holding my le g up to the side as high as i can it gets a bit past parallel buts there no stretch am i doing something wrong or do is that normal?

also coach sommer suggests a stretch where you place your feet in the rings and lower yourself as far as you can go, i for get if your supposed to pull yourself up straight away or hold it down there, i've heard that if you strengthen the muscle your stretching in that position it helps make it more flexible and easier to stretch. but with that stretch would it help you be able to jump up and land in the splits?

Yea, that routines looks good, pretty much the same routine I do except for the lunges. I rarely do dynamic stretches unless I am bad with a certain stretch it seems to help a lot to do dynamic at first then move to static.

Power Splits on the Rings

The isometric split holds that you currently using are a very productive exercise. They are also similar to one of the active flexibility variations which I occasionally employ with my athletes and which have given us very good results; the power splits on the rings. Essentially power splits are isometric split holds performed on the rings.

To perform a right leg power split lower the rings so that they are 6"-12" off of the ground. Now holding the straps step up unto the rings facing the right. Your right foot will be pointing directly to the right with your foot standing directly in the center of the ring. Your left foot will be inserted heel first through the ring behind you; this will result with the foot being at an angle rather than being perfectly straight up and down, but it is the closest that we can come with this variation.

Initially balance by holding a strap in each hand while attempting to squarely face the right. Over time as you become more proficient with this movement, move both hands to the strap in front of you; this will make it much easier to squarely face the right, but more difficult to balance. There is no hurry, take your time and make sure you have mastered the balance, prior to moving both hands to the front.

Now simply lower to your preferred depth of split and return. This is a deceptive exercise; it's fun, exciting, doesn't feel too hard at the moment and during your first workout you may be tempted to work to your maximum depth on this movement. This would be a mistake if you are planning on walking during the next several days afterwards! At first I recommend only lowering to 50% of your current level of flexibility and gradually building up to maximum efforts over the course of several weeks.

You self spot the movement by monitoring the degree of assistance which your arms are providing during the descent and ascent. It is best to err on the side of caution at first and use the arms a great deal during the power splits. As you become more proficient, conditioned and confident in the execution of this movement, gradually decrease the amount of assistance the arms are providing until your legs are doing all of the work and your arms are only providing balance.

I prefer sets of 10 reps with a finals static hold of 10 seconds on the final rep prior to the ascent.

Please approach power splits with a sense of caution and prudence. They are an excellent and challenging movement, but are potent medicine indeed and must be developed gradually.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 6

John Sapinoso

when you do the straight leg stretch forward one, i find it stretches more if you hook your toe and pull it toward you since it tensions and shortens

your hamstring as you are stretching it.

I usually stretch each side for 2:00 mins and do these within that time

normal position

pull hooked front toe with both hands , chest flat on your leg

hands behind your hips shoulders as far back as you can then pull back leg up while in splits ( you can also do that one with your back leg propped up against a wall)

and then arms to the side

• 2 months later...
Edward Smith

Power Splits confusion!!!

Coach Sommer I'm a little confused with your power splits, are they for side splits or front splits or both? also Coach I know I've asked you this before but could you post a video of it to clear my confusion and give me some inspiration

Ed x if you don't mind I'd also like to pose my own questions in this topic - keep things a little less cluttered

I was curious about anyone's knowledge regarding pelvis placement. To my knowledge I do not have anything wrong with my hip flexors except for a severe lack of flexibility. I used to be able to do almost full splits 7 years ago.

I have a new routine following Pavel's stretching method and I've been seeing really great gains, but only with an anterior pelvic tilt. With a neutral position, it is impossible for me to spread my legs even to 90 degrees and I feel immensely sharp pain in the region underneath my abductors.

Most people I see with full splits also usually do them with an anterior tilt, so I was curious if this pain is normal, or if I should be able to match the depth I get with the anterior tilt.

If this belongs in a new topic just let me know Ed!

Thank you

Edward Smith

that's fine charles,

With stretching (splits) with the pelvis neutral. I find it best to use a chair or stool to keep neutrality (haha futurama), hold onto a chair, stool or anything at the height your stretching so you don't have to lean forward. I can't explain your problem with splits when your pelvis is neutral but the aforemnetioned stretching 'method' might help.

Ed

You can cheat the split by turning the hip out, but that is all you will ever be teaching yourself. Get that split square on a line and get over the ego issue of being as low as you'd like. This also has to do with alignment issues ( I have really started believing in a good chiro that can figure out if things are out of wack skeleto-musculary, yes musculary ).

" my old coach at gym told me for splits a good way to increase flexibility is when doing front or side splits take your hands of the ground and support your weight by your legs for ten seconds, sound right to you? "

Yeah, this is similar to a PNF technique. Hold for 10, then relax and go lower for 20.

• 3 years later...
Quick Start Test Smith

It would be helpful if the exercise Coach described was illustrated or demonstrated in a video. If I can figure it out, I'll try to put something together (FWIW).

Is this type of information covered in the seminars? I'm thinking about saving up to go to the Spring 2012 seminar.

• 2 months later...
Power Splits on the Rings

To perform a right leg power split lower the rings so that they are 6"-12" off of the ground. Now holding the straps step up unto the rings facing the right. Your right foot will be pointing directly to the right with your foot standing directly in the center of the ring. Your left foot will be inserted heel first through the ring behind you; this will result with the foot being at an angle rather than being perfectly straight up and down, but it is the closest that we can come with this variation.

Initially balance by holding a strap in each hand while attempting to squarely face the right. Over time as you become more proficient with this movement, move both hands to the strap in front of you; this will make it much easier to squarely face the right, but more difficult to balance.

THey sound awesome but I couldn't figure out this part despite having read it 10 times :? :?

Could anyone be more detailed, post a picture, video, something?

Is it something like this? :

xzZdOPHruKI

THanks a lot! -Alex

Quick Start Test Smith

Alex (3runMX) - that stuff works. I suggest some form of squatting (Front squat + SLS ftw) at the same time. I also suggest single leg deadlifts.