Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Purchasing My Own Muchroom Online

jamesters

I'm looking to purchase my own mushroom so I can train at home or bring it to a park. Any recommendations? I remember Sommer recommending a unique looking mushroom but can't find it and can't remember why he preferred it.

http://www.gymsupply.com/egepommeltrainerpleaseallow3-4weeksuntilitemshipsout.aspx

As i recall Coach had a hand in the design and that the main advantage over a standard mushroom is its much easier on the wrists. Watch the video and tell me you don't want one. I'd love to get one someday.

This looks the same to me, but is much less expensive, well not that its a bargain-

http://www.norberts.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16_18_219_224

Hmmm, do you think you'd have to have your circles really solid before being able to work with this? With a traditional mushroom your hips can drop low in the front and you can still make it around, it looks like you'd have to be able to keep your hips high to make it around with this.

I purchased the one recommended by Coach Sommer a while back. It is a great multi-tasker. I use it more for other exercises than circles. As for circles, I can only do bucket circles, and it works very well for that. My legs are not suspended too high up. I have attempted to use the mushrooms at the gym, and have an easier time attempting circles on the mushroom without the bucket. The raised one on the pedastal, that is. Still, I think once a person had a basic handle on circles, the little horse, as it were , would be just fine for home practice.

Jamesters, if you are still in Fresno, PM me and come try it out yourself. I don't live too far from Gymbeat. It is always better to try things before you buy on-line.

The EGE trainers are nice, especially if you can get the ones with a pommel or double pommel. It's softer than just an old long horse. We generally would throw a sting mat over a long horse if we used it without pommels.

As for mushrooms, I found mine on CraigsList and I think I got it for 135 with shipping. I left it with one of my students but he'll probably get bored with it when he gets past L6. He could use just the top on floor or get the pommels but an EGE would be better or making a single pommel floor trainer.

Getting back to it, you can make your own mushroom or single pommel trainer. Depends if you have the tool and time. Also allows you to customize the height. Making your own EGE trainer could be done, as they are handmade but again, it's about tools and time.

There is a newer type of mushroom with a top like a basketball. It's a bit softer on the wrists than other versions.

Adjustable mushrooms are nice but are 2-3x as expensive as the regular ones.

Jamesters, the lower or wider they are, the more extended the circles have to be. There are some coaches who don't like the mushrooms for this reason but use them in competition because they have to be used. They will use floor mushrooms instead.

Jamesters, if you are still in Fresno, PM me and come try it out yourself. I don't live too far from Gymbeat. It is always better to try things before you buy on-line.

I'm in Fresno but will be working in LA and Vegas the next couple weeks so if I don't find something cheap on craigslist, I might take you up on that when I get back.

Jamesters, the lower or wider they are, the more extended the circles have to be. There are some coaches who don't like the mushrooms for this reason but use them in competition because they have to be used. They will use floor mushrooms instead.

I'm confused, some coaches don't like low or wide mushrooms because you have to extend the circles more? Isn't the more you can extend the better?

No, some coaches don't like the mushrooms at all.

Isn't it near impossible or at least much more difficult learning circles without a mushroom? I've learned flares largely by training them on the floor. However, I trained really hard for them and got the impression I was at a great disadvantage by not having a mushroom to help me more in the beginning. Circles seem way harder to learn on floor than flares (I've only played with circles a bit).

The EGE trainer is superior as it is specifically designed to reduce trauma to the wrist in comparison to a standard mushroom. I have two of them in my gym and am considering picking up a third.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I'm debating whether or not to build my own mushroom, or just cave and buy one of these.

I guess anything that keeps me from totally messing up my wrists is a good thing.

yep, many beginners trash their wrists because of not knowing how to weight shift properly and "slapping" the mushroom. it helps being small and the fact that they don't complete the circles. however, once you do circles on them in series is where you can come across forearm splints.