Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fat Adaption Question

Philip Chubb

Quick Start Test Smith

I hope no one minds me posting in this old thread... I didn't want to make another one for the same subject.

I want to adapt myself to fat as my main fuel source, and I'm kind of reviewing my nutrition as a whole. I'm about 70-75 lbs, a little less than 5'10", and fairly muscular, but not too lean. I train intensely at least six times a week. Online calculators estimate that I need about 2870 calories a day. I could (very) be wrong about this ratios, but I've planned them to be about 60:25:15 = Fat:Pro:Carb.

That equals about 190g fat, 175g protein, and about 106g carbs. Obviously, I will not be able to be that specific, however, if those are indeed the ratios I should aim for, I will indeed aim for them. Over time I'll develop a feeling for what I need, I suppose, but right now I need to follow a fairly strict program I think.

The main thing I'm worried about is getting enough fat. My family has a garden, so I'm not terribly concerned about getting enough good carbs.Cucumbers, bell peppers, squash, lettuce (romain), tomatoes, carrots, radishes, the works. I'm drinking coconut milk (eww, seriously hate the taste of the stuff!) for about 4-6 ounces a day, which is about 45-54g a day from coconut. I get at least 6 eggs a day, so that's about 30g right there. I also get 1-2 teaspoons of omega-3 fish oil and about 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil daily. I usually get more fish oil depending on whether I ate a lot of low quality red meat or not.

I've got to cut this short, but does anyone have any suggestions for someone who really doesn't like coconut products :cry: ? Any way to mask the taste?

Is the heavy whip cream I've been reading about made from coconut?

Thanks!

Philip Chubb

You will also get fat from the meat that you eat. Especially red meat. You can also buy bags of nuts for more though try not to go crazy on them.

Joshua Naterman
Unless I completely misunderstood a major portion of Robb Wolf's podcasts, I do believe that being fat adapted means you are running on ketones for the most part.

Can anyone confirm or destroy this?

That's not correct. Fat adaptation simply means that your body has adjusted its enzyme levels to more closely match the food you are eating. If you are eating lots of carbs and little fat you are going to have much higher levels of carbohydrate-digesting enzymes and fairly low levels of fat-digesting enzymes. As you dietary intake of fat goes up the body slowly re-adjusts the levels of fat-digesting enzymes to compensate. Eventually you have enough enzymes to digest the majority of the fat you eat, even when fat is the largest part of your diet, allowing you to use it as a primary fuel source without any energy disadvantage.

Ketones make up for a lack of carbs, which should not be confused with using fat for energy.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.