Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perfect Pre, Mid, and Post Workout Nutrition

Joshua Naterman

FYI, your body absorbs water AND sugar better when you have not more than 80g sugar per liter of water AND 600mg sodium choride. Go figure.

600mg of salt is a minimum, right?

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

No, that's the most you want. More will dehydrate your blood cells, and that's no good, so factor in whatever sodium is in your protein as well! You want that 600 mark if it is possible, but you are better off slightly under than over.

John Sapinoso

Having just made some fresh coconut milk I'd like to clarify a few points. Coconut water is from fresh coconuts that are green on the outside and soft meat on the inside (Buko). Coconut milk is made from mature coconuts that are brown on the outside and hard meat on the inside (Niyog). After grating out all the meat (this requires some effort) you have to soak it in hot water (and in some recipes milk is used) and press it through a sieve or cheese cloth. Coconut Oil can be extracted from coconut milk.

I've been drinking lots of fresh coconut, coconut milk and virgin coconut oil lately and I've been noticing increased energy levels, decreased soreness and some abdominal fatloss (I haven't taken measurements anywhere but visually, this is the area I notice it in)

Joshua Naterman

Awesome! I made some fresh coconut milk a few weeks ago and I have to say it was some pretty darn good grip training! I didn't realize what I was getting into! I didn't have cheesecloth so I used a doubled up t-shirt. Nothing in the can can touch the fresh stuff, but the Grace brand is pretty close.

Thank you, that was a really good explanation.

• 4 weeks later...
Quick Start Test Smith

I'm getting most of this info so far, but I usually have two training sessions a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon/evening (at least 2-3 hours after the first). Should I concentrate the post workout snacks after strength focused workouts? That's a huge amount of food to eat TWICE a day. :D

Plus it must be expensive to keep up considering I do about two sessions a day, although only one is usually heavily focused on strength. The other is generally endurance or technique.

Thanks.

Joshua Naterman

Keep in mind that you should be modulating your meals based on your activities. If you're doing a ton of endurance work you won't need so much protein and instead need to focus on glycogen replenishment and taking in tons of antioxidants, both of which can be accomplished quite nicely with fruits and vegetables plus a small amount of whey protein or meat, or whatever you like. With more strength-oriented work, you'll most likely need a bit more protein and your carb requirements will depend heavily on how much volume you're doing.

It's not like you need to eat the exact same things after each workout, but those are definitely the times you need to eat a lot. You will find that the rest of the time you may not even be that hungry, and that is ok. Nearly all muscle repairs are complete within 2 hours of the initial damage, so if you have very long workouts make sure to have small snacks every 30 minutes or so.

Quick Start Test Smith

Okay. That makes sense to me. I suppose it will be less of a matter of increasing my food intake at those times and more of just bunching it up there instead of so spread out everywhere. The amount of food I eat may only increase a little. We'll see..

Joshua Naterman

Yea, the most important thing is to make sure that you feel good and perform well. Let that be your guide.

Quick Start Test Smith

Slizzardman, do you have any tips on how to estimate your required calorie intake? You pretty much know what I'm doing in regards to training, and I don't really trust those online calculators...

By the way, I sent you a message a while back.

Happy New Year!

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to ts00nami's post, my family enjoys a lot of coconut water (fresh from the coconut), but have never made our own coconut milk. I found the following video very helpful:

8QBobpFT9ds

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coconut water is really a lot more palatable with lime. Recent discovery. I managed to get through a water bottle's worth during the coaching the other day and each swallow was with a sour face that made the girls ask me what tasted so bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Joshua Naterman

You really, really have got to learn about why that is true.

It is the citric acid that does the trick. Lemons and limes simply have more citric acid than most other citrus fruits, so they are a more efficient source. Calcium is another alkalyzer. PH outside the body does not matter, how things affect systems within the body is what matters. Citric acid is incredibly acidic, but it alkalyzes your body.

Any source of citric acid will help. Again, quantity is always an issue. The right amount is the right amount, more is not better.

Slizz,

After a play time (like soccer, surfing, etc.) what is the procedure for that leisure does not interfere with training? A PWO shake is enough? I'm talking about activities about an hour, average intensity, etc.

Joshua Naterman

Ideally you would have eaten and drank water beforehand, which should have been enough to cover the activity. There shouldn't be much of any special needs for anything like that beyond eating food and drinking water after your activity, really. Sipping a protein and glucose drink during the activity never hurts, but that isn't necessary.

Hey Slizz, about coconut milk: how much before/during/after the workout? During training should be between sets or between rounds? After warming up too?

Joshua Naterman

That really depends on what you like and how fat adapted you are. Coconut milk is more appropriate for endurance training sessions than strength training. Coconut milk can not rapidly restore glycogen or spare protein, nor can any other lipid that I'm aware of. It's just a very high quality source of fats.

• 2 weeks later...

Great post, will use this as a reference. My mind always gets mixed up with different conclusions this guy and that guy have came to!

Hey Slizz, one more for you! is a bad idea to make homemade serum during training? I mean, 2 tablespoons of sugar and a teaspoon of salt per liter of water ... :|

Joshua Naterman

Don't use table sugar, it's half fructose. Use pure glucose if possible, you can order it cheap! The extra fructose will not give you any advantage and can make it harder to lose body fat, not to mention the other issues that go along with high levels of fructose consumption.

It's 1/4 teaspoon salt per liter, so be careful with your measurements! 600mg salt per liter. That tends to be 1/4 tsp.

I ALWAYS try to have my mix during my workouts. it's got 20-30g protein, 1/4 tsp salt and 20g or so of dextrose (glucose) mixed into a liter of water. I sip steadily and always have 15-20g of protein right before the workout as well.

• 2 weeks later...
kittyfat101

Slizzardman; wanna say thanks for this article! Seriously, been kinda out of wack with my diet lately... I've been seeing results strength wise, which is what I'm going for, but this whole 4 hour anabolic window concept is really cool. Seems to make things a lot simpler too... and this article has made me want to start eating a bit healthier consciously, so thanks :)

on a side note, I've been reading through these forums a bit (they've come up on random google searches), and I JUST made an account like a day or two ago. I decided to click that youtube link on your signature, slizzardman, and then I was like WOAH that's... that guy! haha. I watched your PPP video a bit ago, and it's what taught me how to do them at first, so thanks for that too ;) just funny, 'cuz I never connected it. (even though slizzardman is your youtube account name, I just didn't notice haha) thanks again, bro!

God bless!

Really interesting read Slizzardman thanks for the post. I was wondering if such an eating pattern could work if you worked out in the evening at say 7'o clock? As throughout the day would you not be starving?

Secondly on a slightly different track if one does not consume protein shakes, do you know of an alternative post workout protein source which is quickly digestible, either liquid or solid?

Thanks again

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.