Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perfect Pre, Mid, and Post Workout Nutrition

Joshua Naterman

Nicholas Sortino

For skim milk, buy whole non-homogenized milk. You can scoop that amazingly delicious cream off the top for good quality fats, and are left with something that is about 1% on the bottom. Even better if you get grass-fed and raw grass fed is better than that.

Joshua Naterman

Dude... that's really smart. I didn't even think of that! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Dillon Kolacz

Thanks for this post :)

I have a question about the liquid protein... I've had reactions to drinking whey protein in the past, so I'm hesitant to drink it again. What other protein drink or supplement would you recommend to get that 20-25g of protein in the post workout meals?

Also... What do yall think about Soy Milk? And could yall also recommend a reasonably priced creatine and bcaa? thanks.

Quick Start Test Smith

Kolacz, I'd be interested to hear what Slizzardman says, but you could always try egg white protein powder. I just ordered a pound of it for $15 flat off of amazon.com, free two day shipping for Prime members. I've yet to try it out, but I also react badly to whey and, in fact, all dairy.

Nicholas Sortino

I'd stay away from soy protein... for countless reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum.

Egg Protein (i prefer whole egg to egg white personally, or a mix) and beef protein are both quality proteins, but are rather slow compared to whey. Some people who react to cow dairy don't to goat dairy, so you could try that. You could also try whey isolate, as it is less reactive with most people.

There are other veggie protein powders out there that are alright, but definitely as good as some sort of animal derived protein. But you could look at rice or pea protein powders I suppose of none of the other options interest you.

Joshua Naterman
Kolacz, I'd be interested to hear what Slizzardman says, but you could always try egg white protein powder. I just ordered a pound of it for $15 flat off of amazon.com, free two day shipping for Prime members. I've yet to try it out, but I also react badly to whey and, in fact, all dairy.

100% whey protein isolates are expensive, but good. Isopure guarantees no problems and really isn't a bad buy either.

Egg protein should be fine, you might have stinky farts if you take too much, and they will be egg farts. :twisted:

Goat milk is great, I've never heard of anyone being allergic. The protein is similarly non-reactive from what I understand.

I'd stay away from soy protein... for countless reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum.

There are other veggie protein powders out there that are alright, but definitely as good as some sort of animal derived protein. But you could look at rice or pea protein powders I suppose of none of the other options interest you.

There are some periods when for some reason I cannot eat eggs, milk, cheese, meat or whatever sort of animal food, so I find myself with the only option of having soy proteins. What would be the other better veggie protein powders?

Quick Start Test Smith

100% whey protein isolates are expensive, but good. Isopure guarantees no problems and really isn't a bad buy either.

Egg protein should be fine, you might have stinky farts if you take too much, and they will be egg farts. :twisted:

Goat milk is great, I've never heard of anyone being allergic. The protein is similarly non-reactive from what I understand.

lol I don't plan on taking all that much of it. I also made sure to order only one pound just in case it wasn't that great.

I actually have free access to raw goat milk, but it makes me break out (or it did last time I tried). Whey does too, but I suppose it's made from pasteurized cow milk, which would make it understandable. I guess it's hormonal or something, but it sure would be nice to be able to handle it. All that protein and fat just SITTING there in the fridge while I roam around for something to eat... it's downright frustrating. :wink:

Joshua Naterman

Weird. Try and find a Biosig guy or gal in your area and see if they can help. You may have some autoimmune stuff going on.

Hemp, probably.

Thank you. I knew that hemp was very good, but I didn't know it contains proteins. That's a lot to learn every day!

Now I read that it's an amazing source of proteins... I already found some suppliers here, so I'm going to get some ammo. :)

Joshua Naterman

You're welcome! Let me know how the hemp is, I've never used it and I am curious about how you will like it!

Quick Start Test Smith
Weird. Try and find a Biosig guy or gal in your area and see if they can help. You may have some autoimmune stuff going on.

That's a great suggestion. I'm looking really hard to find one within a few hours drive, but so far no luck. I've emailed a few clinics that looked good and asked if anyone could recommend a practitioner in my area. I'm still waiting for replies, but I'm really determined to have this done.

Whey just gave me heart palpitations... and I'm lactose intolerant :/

Kolacz, I think there are lactose free whey powders... try looking them up!

Isopure and other whey isolate should be pretty much free of lactose.

They have hemp at TraderJoes. I've been tempted. An interesting fact about hemp protein is that it has omega-3s and a lot of fiber. I haven't looked up rice protein but pea sounds like it could be viable. However, it seems most plant protein powders are more expensive and have less protein and amino acids counts (probably less manufacturing that causes the higher cost besides target niche).

I cannot recommend Soy. I just read a post containing a study between whey and soy protein that showed that individuals lost more weight with whey vs soy when they were ingesting 56g/d. Lean mass was the same, however.

I very rarely will let taste be a factor, but hemp seeds are one thing i really don't like.

Well its not taste, its the fact the shell is so hard it does not soften no matter what you do.

Helena used to try to make me hemp burgers, i tried to be polite, but it was like eating egg shell between bread. She picked up on my subtle facial expressions after about the 4th round of that wonderful Sunday afternoon treat. Haven't had them since.

Joshua Naterman
Isopure and other whey isolate should be pretty much free of lactose.

They have hemp at TraderJoes. I've been tempted. An interesting fact about hemp protein is that it has omega-3s and a lot of fiber. I haven't looked up rice protein but pea sounds like it could be viable. However, it seems most plant protein powders are more expensive and have less protein and amino acids counts (probably less manufacturing that causes the higher cost besides target niche).

I cannot recommend Soy. I just read a post containing a study between whey and soy protein that showed that individuals lost more weight with whey vs soy when they were ingesting 56g/d. Lean mass was the same, however.

You shouldn't be recommending soy to any man for the simple reason that it is estrogenic enough to alleviate menopausal symptoms if you have enough. That should scare the crap out of anyone with a Y chromosome.

The plant proteins are simply not as complete as whey. If you did pea + rice you should be ok, but it will be more expensive than whey. I have no idea what hemp's AA profile is, but the bottom line is that for what it does in your body whey is by far the cheapest. Even if you have to buy Isopure to avoid lactose, it's cheaper.

Sliz, I AM NOT RECOMMENDING SOY. If you were to look at prior posts on soy on this board and others you would see my fleshed out opinion on soy. Apparently, you forgot this. However, I did not feel like going into this point yet again. I am aware of the hormonal repercussions in males and documentation thereof. :evil:

http://www.daviscofoods.com/pdf2/NutrientandAASheet-WPC80.pdf

http://www.hghealth.com/pdf/hemp.pdf

http://www.enerex.ca/articles/soy_protein%20V_hemp_protein.htm

http://www.sunwarrior.com/store/protein-raw-vegan-vanilla.html

http://www.rocksolidbodybuilding.com/Rice_Protein_Powder.html

http://www.spirulinanb.com/nutritio.html

According to this (I googled up a few others as well), hemp is very inferior to whey and soy is better than hemp but still inferior to whey. Sprouted brown rice seems pretty good actually, weaker than whey but far better than the other vegetarian proteins.

One big factor that I would almost consider taking whey is you get good fats and fiber per serving, a LOT of fiber. No need for metamucil. As well, it seems to be thought of as good stuff in fighting eczema. I can't find what sort of Omega3s it has but supposedly it has GLA. I'd wager a guess it's probably ALA and not DHA and EPA.

I threw in Spirulina as well. Again not as powerful as whey but alright. None of the vegetarian proteins are really cost effective unless you count soy which I do not consider an option.

Dillon Kolacz

I don't mean to argue or anything, but I don't think there is a reason as to why men shouldn't eat soy... I mean... there are vegetarian men who live their lives eating soy day in and day out.

Nicholas Sortino
I don't mean to argue or anything, but I don't think there is a reason as to why men shouldn't eat soy... I mean... there are vegetarian men who live their lives eating soy day in and day out.

There are also people who eat pizza and quarterpounders with fries day in and day out. That doesn't make it healthy.

Soy is extremely high in phytoestrogens. A small amount as a condiment (such as with sushi) probably isn't a problem on occasion, but consuming soy protein in large amounts is not a good idea for a guy looking to get strong and healthy

Very scientific argument you've got there. Vegetarian men are unhealthy as hell, and if they eat soy it only gets worse..

Quick Start Test Smith

Sliz, I just found an awesome website that you can buy sprouted brown rice protein powder from. It's only ten dollars a pound, not counting shipping and handling (China, I think.. just found it).

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Oryzatein- ... tein-(1-lb)

I'm so excited.I hope I can get some! Right now it's sold out, but they may restock soon!

Sliz, I just found an awesome website that you can buy sprouted brown rice protein powder from. It's only ten dollars a pound, not counting shipping and handling (China, I think.. just found it).

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Oryzatein- ... tein-(1-lb)

I'm so excited.I hope I can get some! Right now it's sold out, but they may restock soon!

Man, I would not buy my protein powder from China. Ever. Even if it's not dairy...maybe that's just me being too Danish and concerned about everything foreign... :P

Quick Start Test Smith

You probably know better than I do.. but I'm still excited. I didn't know there WAS sprouted brown rice protein powder available! Hopefully I can find it somewhere else.

Am I right in thinking that brown rice protein is not complete? Would I need to get a pea protein or something to complete it?

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.