Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Noob, Do I have to eat like a Bodybuilder?

chingyvang

I'm a former bodybuilder and one reason I quit was because of the pigley eating habit. I hate having to worry about my next meal every two hours with atleast 25 grams or protein. And then I always have to prepare a plate of cottage cheese to eat before bed, every single recovery night. I also hate proteins shakes, I always take mines covering my nose.

I've seen cut teenager gymnastics and I'm sure with school + gymnastics, they won't have time to eat like a bodybuilder and probably don't get 8 hours of sleep each night but they are still cut. I'm also frightened by some threads I've seen on here about creative because I hated protein shakes.

So tell me, do I have to eat like a bodybuilder because if I do, then I might as well go back to bodybuilding.

Eating every two hours, even for a bodybuilder, is not necessarily optimal.

See here:

http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/opti ... uscle-mass

The short of it is that muscle protein synthesis can only be restimulated about every 5 hours. So, big meals every 5 hours instead of smaller meals every 2.

As to the rest of the question, you still need to eat healthy. Unless you are teenager or a genetic freak you probably won't get away with eating poor food and get good results.

The best results comes with the best nutrition, no matter which sport. The physiology behind nutrition is the same so it's not like you can transfer to gymnastics and start eating crap foods and then BAM you're big and lean and strong.

Nicholas Sortino

So to answer your question, no you do not have to eat like a body builder. But if you want to look good and perform optimally, then you do need to eat healthy. Shakes are helpful but by no means necessary. Solid food after a workout works almost as well.

Constant meals serve little purpose. The only reason for multiple small meals is to prevent major insulin spikes. But if you don't eat meals heavy in simple carbs then that is probably not as much of a concern. And if you time your meals with them to be right after your workouts, that is even better.

So, eat how you like, but don't expect to look ripped on any program if you don't eat right.

Ok thanks for the info guys. A big good meal every 5 hrs sounds way better than a Tuna sandwhich every 2 hrs.

But what about eating before you go to bed? Do I still need to down a few spoon full of Cottage Cheese before bed to get that slow absorbing protein throughout my sleep? Because I know building strength in your sleep is just as important in Gymnastics than it is in Bodybuilding.

Nicholas Sortino

I don't bother with it. I just eat usually eat a pretty late dinner. I am by no means the model of nutrition of physical fitness, but I get by :)

If you want to and think it helps, do it. If you find it a pain in the ass, then don't. I personally would prefer a nice glass of whole goat milk before bed if I were to eat anything.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.