Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Climbing Rope in Australia

Edward Smith

Edward Smith

I'm after some climbing rope and being in Australia I don't want to buy it overseas as the shipping is expensive to say the least (checked for rope on eBay, something like 20' long 1.5' diameter manila rope cost $40 but cost $120 shipping). So does anyone know of any places that sell (climbing) rope in Australia?

I have checked a couple of rock climbing shops, that didn't have any.

As an aside, on most of the sites I've looked at it often refers to as 'indoor manila climbing rope' or some such. Is manila unsuitable for outdoors, I'll be using it outside but taking it down after usuage, which seems unlikely to me as manila is used at piers and such. Would polyprolene, or whatever it is, be a better choice?

Thanks,

Ed

Nicholas Sortino

I have a manilla rope hanging from a tree in my back yard. It has been sitting there for a few months, and other than where a squirrel got at it, it is fine. I have a friend who has had one in his yard for years. I believe it will be fine to use it outdoors, and if you aren't planning on leaving it out, there should be no worries at all.

I had read manila is best kept inside, in australia you might be ok, too rainy where I am, I just picture it getting wet and going mouldy, though the poster above seems OK. I have heard wetted rope will be weaker, but this is not really an issue for us as if it is even only 10% of its original strength it is still ridiculously strong. I have seen a pile of discarded rope in the local harbour near me, it stank but might be OK if soaked in some dilute bleach, and maybe baking soda to absorb smells. You could also try and contact a local tug of war team and ask to buy some, most guys have some at home to train with.

I got mine on ebay delivered from the UK which was cheap enough.

Do not get the poly rope, it is meant to be poor for gripping. I have heard cotton rope is very good for climbing, a circus guy on another forum said it was really good, but expensive.

Nicholas Sortino

As rub said, even if the rain weakens it, if it is just you climbing it, I seriously doubt that is going to be enough to make it break. And if it gets a lil smelly, oh well, most good gyms are, lol.

I would also like to mention that most all ropes on military obstacle courses are manilla and are never taken down. They last for a while. Sure I have seen bad ropes, but they have usually been sitting out in the weather for years. The only down side is you can get splinters when it starts to fray some, and it can get slick as well.

Cotton rope is great, but I don't know that is would fare any better in the weather. It is definitely nicer to hold onto though. Make sure you get your rope thick enough. 1.5in or even 2in is great. Any thinner or thicker and it is more of a pita. I would go thicker if you absolutely had to though, because it will work your grip more. Fast ropes are 3in thick and I climb them occasionally; it's definitely different than a normal rope though!

Alvaro Antolinez

Being Aussie I´ll check at marine suplies. I don´t know the diameter of a climbing rope but surely you can find it in a good distributor. And at a good price.

Nicholas Sortino
Being Aussie I´ll check at marine suplies. I don´t know the diameter of a climbing rope but surely you can find it in a good distributor. And at a good price.

1.5in is pretty standard for normal rope climbing.