Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pull up bar replacement for University - Ideas?

Finn Frank

I've just moved into my Uni accommodation, space is a little tight but I think I can manage some wall HS work and some FBEs and FSPs

The problem is I no longer have anywhere to put my rings (used to have them in my garage at home) and I don't have a pull up bar as my old one screwed into brackets on the door way and we aren't allowed to screw into the wood. So, any ideas for a replacement?

Does anyone here have any experience with the door mounted pull up bars that use leverage to stay in place like the Iron gym? would these be suitable for FL, BL etc?

In the Summer I should be able to hang my rings up on a tree but right now the weather isn't great. So any ideas and advice would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Joshua Naterman

Leverage pull up bars are fine! They are good for hanging rings too. You'll be a bit lower than usual, perhaps, but it's not as bad as not having rings at all!

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm glad I can hang my rings on the leverage bar, wasn't looking forward to discontinue ring dips and support holds. Slizzardman, can you recommend a particular bar or are they much of a muchness?

Razz, there are some trees and a great big park area but the weather has been pretty bad lately.

Thanks again :)

Joshua Naterman

It's pretty much all the same, but if you can get one that is all one piece I'd do that. The bars that you put together yourself are only rated for 250 lbs, which is probably fine for everyone but me since I like to do the occasional weighted dip or pull up and I'm already 220-230.

Okay ill get one of these then :)

Ill try and post a short vid when I get it all set up.

Thanks again, as always your advice is spot on!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation, except my dorm room has no door frame. The ceilings are very low (8 feet, with pipes below that), and the door itself goes from floor to ceiling. I've just been going to the campus gym, and also finding ledges to do pull ups on.

Just got my iron gym yesterday and set it up. It's better than expected, completely solid and hasn't wobbled on anything. No I can train pull ups and all of the FSP again. I'm going to start training for OAC, I'll have a look around the forums for advice on that :)

Thanks for your help guys!

• 3 weeks later...
It's pretty much all the same, but if you can get one that is all one piece I'd do that. The bars that you put together yourself are only rated for 250 lbs, which is probably fine for everyone but me since I like to do the occasional weighted dip or pull up and I'm already 220-230.

Yea I'm in the same boat. If it helps Sliz, I recently attached my rings to the beams in the loft and just take the loft lid off when I need to do em. If the Beams don't line up where you want them, just put 2 strong pieces of wood across the loft opening shoulder width apart and loop the ring straps over it. I just used an old 2inch think banister cut in half to make two. Works a treat if you have the sufficient room underneath the loft door. Much safer as well, even without weighted pull-ups my door frame in my last house was starting to crack and I had to bend my knees 90degrees and tuck a little at the bottom to get full ROM with the iron gym pull-up bar.

Finally got around to filming something on the Iron gym, incedentally it was my first WOD :D

AobpwZB-_9U

Other than the cramp space its not too bad a set up. The bar is very nice for FL and BL and I can hang the rings it just doesn't leave a whole lot of space before I start smacking the rings on the door frame. Other than that its a nice bit of kit and I'd much rather it than no levers!

Cheers guys

I sincerely hope that your bar doesn't fall and you land on your face making you unable to eat for a week, like it did to me.

yeah I really hope not! I'll take extra care thanks. Hope your all alright now! sorry to hear about your accident

Thank you

• 2 months later...

Finbar, I notice you've set the iron gym up with the horizontal bar above the two curved bars. I was going to assemble it that way but decided it would be safer to have the horizontal underneath (actually the way it's shown on the box) because of the way I intended to use it.

I think that if someone uses the horizontal bar, it is better to have it on top (the way you have it) but if someone uses the curved bars, it is better to have them on top.

I only use the two handles of the curved bars to do pull ups with a neutral grip. Inflexibilites in my arms or shoulders make it difficult to do pull ups and chin ups in the two usual ways.

If I'd put the horizontal bar on top, the curved bars would be held up by the two bolts and if their threads stripped, it would be a catastrophe. I've fallen flat on my back twice when pull up bars collapsed and don't want to do that again.

With the horizontal bar underneath, the curved bars push it into the door frame. With the horizontal bar on top, the curved bars pull it into the door frame - and pull on the bolts with only the threading being the only thing stopping it from being ripped out.

That's not the case when the horizontal bar is used.

I don't know if you agree with this but I thought I'd better warn you in case you ever use the neutral grip handles. I only realised the potential danger this evening when I was dangling from the bar and looking up at it.