100m and vertical jump

Started by Kiyoshi, September 28, 2010 · 56 Replies · 36,312 Views

Joshua Naterman

IIa fibers are able to shift performance characteristics drastically, from nearly identical to type 1 fibers to nearly identical to type IIx fibers. They don't actually become type 1 fibers, they just experience a large shift in enzyme activity and mitochondrial density depending on how you train them.

In elite power athletes, IIx fibers are nearly non-existent. They are nearly all IIa. Couch potatoes have the highest proportion of IIx fibers... they appear to be some sort of emergency system that becomes unnecessary as one's physical training leads to a more capable body. They disappear with intense training and reappear with a near-total rest of 1-2 months.

Brian Li

Thanks! I also heard about couch potatoes having the most type IIx fibers too. When you say the type IIx fibers disappear, do you mean they actually morph into type IIa fibers?

Joshua Naterman

That's a really good question... as far as anyone can tell, that is what seems to happen. I have absolutely no idea why, not sure if that is even partially understood. It could be as simple as having too many of those fibers could enable us to produce forces that would rip the muscles immediately, I don't know...

Nic Scheelings
Alex Chubb said:
I noticed that, but I couldn't figure out why. I will continue to work it then! I may get straps for it though. Ring work has made my biceps kind of an obstacle in holding the bar. (Olympic style)

A little off topic, but I doubt bicep size is limiting ability to hold the bar with a clean grip style, I have large biceps but no problem with clean grip. For most people it is actually being tight in lats, teres major, long head of triceps that is the main issue with a correct clean grip. Food for thought.

Philip Chubb
Nic Scheelings said:
Alex Chubb said:
I noticed that, but I couldn't figure out why. I will continue to work it then! I may get straps for it though. Ring work has made my biceps kind of an obstacle in holding the bar. (Olympic style)

A little off topic, but I doubt bicep size is limiting ability to hold the bar with a clean grip style, I have large biceps but no problem with clean grip. For most people it is actually being tight in lats, teres major, long head of triceps that is the main issue with a correct clean grip. Food for thought.

Really? I will try gripping it then foam rolling and gripping again! Thanks. Hopefully that helps!

Nic Scheelings

SMR is a great idea and there are several specific flexibility exercises that can help. The second part of this video shows a nice one. This can also be done on with your elbows on a bench about knee height and assuming an extended plank position trying to touch your hands to your shoulders if this makes sense?

http://www.californiastrength.com/video ... s?start=16

Philip Chubb
Nic Scheelings said:
SMR is a great idea and there are several specific flexibility exercises that can help. The second part of this video shows a nice one. This can also be done on with your elbows on a bench about knee height and assuming an extended plank position trying to touch your hands to your shoulders if this makes sense?

http://www.californiastrength.com/video ... s?start=16

I am going to check this out as soon as I can get to my computer today and see if I can regain some mobility! Thanks again! I'm excited at the idea of being able to power clean again! I had almost gotten to 200 lbs (with only 25 lb plates and below for a deep range of motion) but at 185, the catch position was hurting my shoulders too much.