Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This had to be posted!

ThomasJG

that is easily the best one hand planche ive ever seen. Im pretty sure a regular planche would be easy for this guy. What makes you think otherwise? I dont want to start an argument, i actually wanna know.

The bent arm, the different center of gravity. It is a completely different move he is doing so I don't think there is a lot of carryover to a straight arm, locked elbow, legs together planche. Rings are just totally different animals and at no point on rings are you supporting on just one arm which is why I doubt this impressive skill will have any transfer to rings.

While interesting, the bent arm elbow lever as shown in the video will have no transfer to a planche and is not nearly as difficult as it appears.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mikael Kristiansen

With alll due respect I need to correct you Coach Sommer. He is not doing an elbow lever. He is in the position of an elbow lever but suspended by immense power from the shoulder region. I am training to drop from a 1 arm handstand into a 1 arm elbow lever with a spotter, and even that is insanely heavy even though I can do straddle planche, 1 arm flags with legs closed, and 1 arm handstand presses.

The area which he holds the position is the VERY hardest point to stay on 1 arm. When going down from 1 arm to lever it is at this very angle where it becomes extremely heavy to hold, and most people who do it, get a fast drop at this angle instead of a controlled descent.

As soon as the elbow is touching it is very easy and not dependent on strength at all. In the world of handbalancing I have never seen anyone do what he does, drop into that position, and then pressing out without touching the elbow. I showed it to my russian teacher who has been in this business for 40 years, and he said he had not seen anything like this, and commented that he has no legs at all.

It should be noticed that this guy obviously(from seeing other clips of him) has atrophied legs to some degree. Even so, I am extremely impressed by that.

As for the carryover value to rings, I guess there is not so much, except he obviously has great strength to weight ratio. I have, however seen clips of him doing full planche, with decent form.

Well I stand corrected on the full planche thingie, but I still hold my case in the way even though a person learns this it will not make him a monster at normal planches.

Mikael Kristiansen

Well, I would actually say that a decent planche would almost be a requisite to do that. However you are completely right about bent and straight arm being totally different. At least you should have a MURDEROUSLY strong bent arm planche, along with 1 arm flag and super slow controlled descent from 1 arm HS to 1 arm elbow lever.

I agree that it wont magically make you a planche master, but when you are at the level to even attempt to hold that position(let alone dropping into it, and PRESSING out from it!) I would believe you have inhuman strength to weight ratio.

Alessandro Mainente

i see this bboy in a bboy contest about one year ago in germany...is impressive...from one hand handstand he can slow down like in a planche position with his arm a little bit bent ...a little bit on the side but his chest il very very close to be parallel to the floor...the elbow doesen't touch the stomach...he can simply do planche with straigth arms and hold it for many seconds, with hands at shoulder's width and with the hands one above the other....

Okay.

Speaking as a bboy and handbalancer. There is nothing "typical" about this move or the athlete performing it.

This is no elbow lever, nor is at any easier then it looks. The strength required for this move is immense. Look up some videos of handbalancers doing a lowerdown through flag into elbow lever, there are some athletes who are almost able to achieve a onearm straddle planche whilst lowering but nothing like this.

Of course he would be awesome at rings. This is the kind of natural strength a coach would love in his athletes.

That move is no trick, it is no funny positioning or cheating by conceealing a flag, its a one arm planche and its hardcore as.

I repeat, being strong in a bent arm one arm planche and even a normal planche is not going to make anyone jump on rings and suddenly own everyone. Don't make it sound like this guy would jump on rings and hold malteses and crosses just like that. Maybe if he's trained it before yes, but not just because he can do planche and 1 arm bent arm planche.

Nicholas Sortino
I repeat, being strong in a bent arm one arm planche and even a normal planche is not going to make anyone jump on rings and suddenly own everyone. Don't make it sound like this guy would jump on rings and hold malteses and crosses just like that. Maybe if he's trained it before yes, but not just because he can do planche and 1 arm bent arm planche.

I doubt they are implying that with no training or experience he could jump on the rings and be amazing. But rather he is already so strong that with a little training he could be very good.

Maybe not, too me it just sounded like ThomasJG thought that if this guy jumped on rings we'd have a new world champion because he can already do something others can't.

Nicholas Sortino
So does anyone want to take guesses on just how atrophied this guys legs really are?

probably has <1ft vertical...

So does anyone want to take guesses on just how atrophied this guys legs really are?

probably has <1ft vertical...

I would imagine that would have to be the trade off. Bent one arm planche vs all forms of tumbling. Hmm, thats actually a hard decision and I can't decide at the moment if I should go for a long distance run or not. Lol

I did not notice this guy had atrophied legs?

And I still can't see why he wouldn't be any better on rings then a normal athlete. He is obviously out-of-this-world strong.

Nick you kinda summed it up. It would take very little training for someone like this to achieve a lot compared to the rest of us.

I imagine he could achieve maltese and crosses in a tenth of the time it would take a normal person. Sometimes you gotta give it up for natures freaks.

Has anyone thought that he might train this sort of stuff already? It is possible he got a full planche and built up. He might not be so much a freak as much as someone who put in some serious time on his hands (and not his legs).

Try to look for some of his other video on youtube. I think they may let you see his legs better

sorry i did not mean to imply that he didnt train for this. I believe he must have put in a lot of serious hours on his hands to achieve it. When i said freak i meant his skills were freakish.

Apoligies if it sounded disrespectful.

Why do you guys assume he is equally strong on both sides of his body? Maybe he only trains his 'single-bent-arm-planche-thingy' on his right side...

(I'm not saying he is, just some additional food for thought :D)

sorry i did not mean to imply that he didnt train for this. I believe he must have put in a lot of serious hours on his hands to achieve it. When i said freak i meant his skills were freakish.

Apoligies if it sounded disrespectful.

No apologies needed at all! I didn't meant to come off as saying anyone was wrong in what they thought of this guy. I am just saying I don't think anyone is born with the ability to balance their entire bodyweight on one arm. This guy might even have a pair of rings at home. LOL. If not, then he is quite freakish. Either way after seeing this again, I am going to go train!

Joshua Naterman

There are absolutely some people who are born with the potential to be strong beyond what most people could achieve, all you have to do is ask Coach about JJ Gregory and a few others he has known if you attend a seminar. They still take time to build up skills, though certainly less than most people must.

There's no way to know what this guy can do until he gets up on some rings, but keeping in mind that he appears to be incredibly small, much like Yan Minyong is, and clearly in possession of some impressive strength, he would certainly have the potential to be great. In a percentile measurement of strength to bodyweight ratios, the smaller you are the higher that percent can go. Just look at ants. That doesn't mean everyone fits neatly into that statement, but as a general rule the smaller a person's overall bone structure is (height, lever length, shoulder width, etc) the less leverage they are going to have to work against, and this is what allows such a high percentile of relative strength. In ABSOLUTE terms, they can not compete with bigger men, and this can clearly be seen in the powerlifting and olympic lifting record books. The biggest lifts are by the biggest men, for the most part. As gymnastics is a sporting arena dominated by relative strength it is typically believed that the smaller you are the better a gymnast you will be, along with certain other anatomical measurements like leg and upper arm length, and for the most part this seems to hold true, although there was that 6'1 bronze medalist in floor last year!

We larger folk can still have a very impressive relative strength, and more than enough to at least do some simple advanced ring strength. I don't know about some of the combination moves, but Iron Cross at least is achievable, and that is no mean feat.