Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ginger reducing muscle pain

avivlugt

Hey, I found something I thought was interesting. A short article on ginger reducing muscle pain:

Abstract

Ginger has been shown to exert anti-inflammatory effects in rodents, but its effect on human muscle pain is uncertain. Heat treatment of ginger has been suggested to enhance its hypoalgesic effects. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of 11 days of raw (study 1) and heat-treated (study 2) ginger supplementation on muscle pain. Study 1 and 2 were identical double-blind, placebo controlled, randomized experiments with 34 and 40 volunteers, respectively. Participants consumed 2 grams of either raw (study 1) or heated (study 2) ginger or placebo for 11 consecutive days. Participants performed 18 eccentric actions of the elbow flexors to induce pain and inflammation. Pain intensity, perceived effort, plasma prostaglandin E2, arm volume, range-of-motion and isometric strength were assessed prior to and for 3 days after exercise. Results Raw (25%, –.78 SD, P = .041) and heat-treated (23%, –.57 SD, P = .049) ginger resulted in similar pain reductions 24 hours after eccentric exercise compared to placebo. Smaller effects were noted between both types of ginger and placebo on other measures. Daily supplementation with ginger reduced muscle pain caused by eccentric exercise, and this effect was not enhanced by heat treating the ginger.

Perspective

This study demonstrates that daily consumption of raw and heat-treated ginger resulted in moderate-to-large reductions in muscle pain following exercise-induced muscle injury. Our findings agree with those showing hypoalgesic effects of ginger in osteoarthritis patients and further demonstrate ginger's effectiveness as a pain reliever.

Here's the link: http://www.jpain.org/article/S1526-5900(09)00915-8/abstract

I wonder, why would it reduce th pain? Does it help the muscles to heal faster or something?

Interesting. I came across a home-made topical solution of arnica the other day at the farmer's market that included ginger in it to create heat. It did get hot, but arm mobility still wasn't improved. This was about 2 weeks ago when my left arm basically froze for nearly a week for no apparent reason. Some stretching and tissue work ended up solving it in the long run but I left with the notion the arnica/ginger solution didn't do anything.

• 3 years later...
Aviv Lugtenaar

Since posting this( I'm the same user, had a problem with that account) I have been using ginger with good results. And now since starting foundation I have been using a lot :P. I find that it is just as good a creams ( like deepheat and others). I take ginger pouder, put a teaspoon or 2, depending on how sore I am, in a cup of water and I do this a few times a day. The more sore I am the more I take.

" Other studies have shown that consuming ginger before exercise has no impact on muscle pain, oxygen consumption and other physiological variables during or immediately after a workout, suggesting that if ginger does have any benefits, they may be limited to reductions in soreness in the days after a workout."

Just found that now, wish I had read that 2 weeks ago, I knew I would be very sore after my very first foundation workout so I took most of what I had after my workout in the evening, about 6 teaspoon I think over the course of the evening. I woke up the next day very sore, and only had like 3 teaspoon left. I was very sore for 3 days till I could get some more and some cream.

"Though side effects are rare, ginger may cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, gas or heartburn, especially if taken in doses that exceed the recommended amounts. Consult a medical practitioner before adding ginger supplements to your diet, especially if you take aspirin or other blood-thinning medications regularly."

I haven't experienced any of this, if I am really sore I can take a lot. 2 teaspoon once an hour if I am really sore. Maybe in total 8 teaspoon a day. The next day the pain will be a lot less and I will be taking less. Both quotes come from here: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-benefits-of-ginger-how-it-can-help-relax-your-muscles.html

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.