This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100921

Started by Coach Sommer, September 21, 2010 · 33 Replies · 3,508 Views

Coach Sommer

vTIfss5oF8w

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5 Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch

10 FL Pulls

15’ Cirque

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch. Perform these by performing a hopping pull-up and leg lift simultaneously. At the top of the movement when exploding upward, reach over the bar to touch the toes at the top of the leg lift.

4) If the Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch are too challenging, substitute Clapping Pull-ups.

5) Move immediately from the Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch to the FL Pulls.

6) Move immediately from the FL Pulls to the Cirques. If you do not have a rope, substitute 10 Towel Pull-ups for the Cirque.

7) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Kiyoshi

I only did 2 rounds of this, but I did it all. I just had an extra 5-10 sec rest between sets.

Will I still get good results ?

Alvaro

I felt a bit more solid on this pull day... Usually when Im done I cant perform even a single more rep. Now there is a small quantity of strenght there( not enought for a normal rep but for a negative). Also I can manage better the high volume of this WOD.

4 x:

1 min running uphill at 15 degrees and 8,5 km/h I finish around 170 bpm ( wich is almost my limit)

5 kiping pull ups neutral grip. ( I performed the first 3 with out rest and my heart almost jump off my mouth! So I need to take three breaths to continue!)

2x5 half negative front pulls ( with small rest 10 secs)

2x5 towel pull ups (first set normal, the rest of the negatives) changing sides.

Comparing this tomy first pull day of WoD I find a big improvement in strenght and volume management ( 5 months ago)

:D

Philip Papandrea

4 rounds

60s kb swing 35lb

5 pullups kind of hopping off the bar at top. couldn't clap

10 tuck FL pulls first round then 8,6 and 5

3 towel pullups first round, then 3 commando pullups second round then 4 chinups third and fourth round.

Found out my grip strength is severely lacking along with my pulling strength. Could barely hold onto the towel to do the pullups.

This was a tough one!

Hopefully I do better next time.

Phil

kickwell

Hey guys!

I've been having some trouble with my right rear deltoid - it's taken me from doing muscle-ups with weight to barely being able to do a pull up! Hahaha, my question is: should I substitute easier pulling exercises for today's WOD or should I be resting my shoulder until it heals up?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Freeflyer
kickwell said:
Hey guys!

I've been having some trouble with my right rear deltoid - it's taken me from doing muscle-ups with weight to barely being able to do a pull up! Hahaha, my question is: should I substitute easier pulling exercises for today's WOD or should I be resting my shoulder until it heals up?

Thanks a ton in advance!

If your shoulder is hurting so much that you went from weighted muscle ups to to having trouble with pull ups you need to take time off. Probably a week at least from upper body movements. Don't worry, you won't lose any strength in a week, but you will if you continue to exacerbate an injury.

After that week, even if it doesn't hurt, I wouldn't jump right back into full movements. Make sure you do plenty of rehab/prehab and build back into it, or risk reinjuring it.

Scott Malin

Looks like a great workout, I'm excited. Though I'm not sure if I should be more worried about myself doing the hopping pull ups or the random patron who's bound to try it after seeing them.

kickwell

Thank a lot, Nick! I'll be p/rehabbing for at least a week then!

Freeflyer

Hopping pull ups are like jumping pull ups or just an explosive pull up from a hang?

I foresee myself doing a big kip/swing at the bottom of these and kicking my lawnmower over...

Ryan Hutchins
omegant said:
I felt a bit more solid on this pull day... Usually when Im done I cant perform even a single more rep. Now there is a small quantity of strenght there( not enought for a normal rep but for a negative). Also I can manage better the high volume of this WOD.

good... now that you have this down go ahead and do 3 more hours of gymnastic training. hit 4 events and work on skills, body shapes, and muscle memory. :D

isn't that crazy!? Coaches athletes make me feel weak lol. i´ll find out how hard this is tomorrow cuz i dont have access to the gym today.

Ok so i did my tuesday workout today.

i have shin splints so i substituted squat jumps for the shuttle runs.

4x

60 sec squat jumps

5 clapping pull ups

10 straight body FL pulls 5,5 6,4 5,5 5,5

2 half rope climbs, 6 rope pull ups x 3

tough workout. I couldn't do this all back to back just yet. Tho once i get into the swing of things i should be doing the high intensity no problem.

Freeflyer
kickwell said:
Thank a lot, Nick! I'll be p/rehabbing for at least a week then!

NP, Ido's shoulder mobility would be a good thing to check out. And feel free to work your legs out and do some good cardio/sprints though :)

Edit: Alternating Ice/Heat really helps me as well with stuff like that. Definitely worth a try. And as long as you aren't allergic, anti-inflammatorys like ibuprofen or naproxen would likely help. They used to tell us back when I was a corpsman that things heal faster if you aren't in pain. Whether that's really true or not, I dunno, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I got no clue with the hopping, I need a visual demonstration :| so I did Toes to Bar instead.

WU:

300m Row

2 x 6m Inch Worms

10 Shoulder Dislocate

15s Samson Stretch

FSP:

1 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 20s)

1 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck/Flat Tuck; 18s) trying to move to flat tuck forgot to film myself so see if I acheived it.

1 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 10s) On the floor tuck now wohoo!

1 x 1 Manna (PB Bent; 20s)

1 x 1 Back Lever (Flat Tuck; 15s) Flat tuck now WOHOO!

1 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s) This one is one that is hard to improve)

WOD:

4 Rounds:

60s Double Unders

5 Toes to Bar (No clue on the hop pullups)

10 Front Lever Pulls (Purple Elastic)

16 Towel Pullups (Slow Descents)

Rest 3 minutes

Finished with 2 x 10 Side Rotator Cuffs. Stretch.

Justin Kyle

Todays WOD:

4 rounds of:

60 sec shuttle runs

5 clapping pull ups

10 FL pulls (adv. tuck) (10, 7+3, 5+5) HARD!!!

Cirques (no legs half way up first set but I was too fried to not use my legs the other sets)

On that last round I got a HUMONGOUS rip on my hand after the clapping pull ups so I couldn't finish out the FL pulls and Cirque. If anyone has any tips are how to go about treating rips please let me know. Also, what I need to do to wrap it up before the next workout. Thanks a lot and keep working hard!

j4b

Did a 3mi run then the workout - wound up doing it on a crossbar on a soccer goal! :P

Didn't have a rope or a towel - did 2 one arm 4-second negatives (each arm), then 2 assisted OAC's. The volume isn't the same, but I want to work on my OAC's!

Thank for the workout coach!

Freeflyer

Warm Up:

in log

GB WOD:

4 Rounds of:

  • [*:11iisleb]60 sec Shuttle Run
    [*:11iisleb]5 Clapping Pull Ups
    [*:11iisleb]10 Adv Tuck Front Pulls
    [*:11iisleb]15' Rope Climb - used feet up and down, controlled 1 arm descents.

Thoughts:

  • [*:11iisleb]I can barely lift my arms to type this. Nice WOD.
    [*:11iisleb]Almost fell off the rings during front pulls my grip was so weak near the end. Same reason i had to use feet to climb the rope. I made it halfway up the second time and realized I wasn't going anywhere because i kept sliding every time I reached up, lol.
    [*:11iisleb]Had there not been any rest between rounds I would have met pukey. As it was, I almost did. High intensity is fun :mrgreen:

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2 x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 15s Lowish L-hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x (20s Bent L-sit + 15s Assisted German Hang)

WOD

Complete four rounds, with 3 mins rest:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5 'Explosive' Pull-ups

10/5/5/5 Tuck TOPs Pulls

10 Jumping Towel Pull-ups

Notes:

  • [*:3fvqwur3]This was a very difficult workout.
    [*:3fvqwur3]I don't think I can do that many clapping pullups, so my hands just came off the bar momentarily instead.
    [*:3fvqwur3]My arms died completely in the later TOPs pulls. Had to take a 10s break in the final two rounds after 3 reps just to squeeze out another 2. I would've scaled this to Pullovers or Naners, but I can't do them on my doorway pull-up bar.
    [*:3fvqwur3]I'd never tried towel pull-ups before today - they're pretty tough. Did a few decent ones in the first round before realising that I'd definitely have to scale this to jumping with wimpy negatives.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD

4 rounds

stationary bike sprints (high resistance) x 4

clapping pullups 5,5,5,5

FL pulls, adv tuck 10, 10, 7+3, 5+3+2

Towel pullups 6+4, 6+4, 6+4, 5+3+2

Man this was a tough one. My arms were toast by the end and I was seriously sucking wind!

Josh Schmitter

Was still feeling a little off today...didn't sleep well, forgot my lunch...so I just did some light FSP with the shuttles and 5x5 body rows. I attempted some regular pulls, but it wasn't happening. On the plus side my trapeze-esque bar works fine hanging from the ring straps.

Joshua Naterman

I am sick today thanks to the considerate fellow in my Spanish class who came to school with a ridiculously bad cold. So, I just did my normal joint prep for upper body and a few pull ups. I'll do this WOD tomorrow and film it. Should look a LOT better than the last dynamic pull day!

Tyler Schmitz

WOD:

4 rds of:

60 sec Shuttle Run/Jog

Rest 15-20 sec

5 Clapping Pull-Ups (?: dont know how to do hopping pull up with toe touch; need to see a demonstration lol)

Rest 15-20 sec

10 Front Lever Pulls (Full lay all 4 rds)

Rest 15-20 sec

10 Towel Pull-Ups (1x10, 1x10, 2x5, 2x5)

Rest 3 min

Joshua Naterman
element3904 said:
RandomHavoc said:
Slizz, you should cold water douse until you get better. http://www.montrealsystema.com/uploads/COLD_WATER_DOUSING.pdf

Thanks RandomHavoc. Great article

Indeed! I started this morning and I like it better than cold showers. I will be dousing once or twice before bed tonight.

Wod:

4 rounds 50-60s shuttle runs, 5 clappin pull ups, 10 FL pulls(scaled down last 3 rounds, but first round was 10 full lay!), 4-8 mountain climber pull ups. This was, as always, a challenging workout. I tried to touch my legs but I am not confident enough in my airtime.

Work capacity is much better, doing the full 60s of shuttle runs isn't that bad anymore. My right lower leg is a little sore on the outside, but that's getting better. Toe point stretches and some foam rolling along with the ankle prehab will help a lot.

I did get a video, I will try to get that up tonight.

Freeflyer
RandomHavoc said:
Slizz, you should cold water douse until you get better. http://www.montrealsystema.com/uploads/COLD_WATER_DOUSING.pdf

I think I am going to start giving this a try. I wonder if it would be more beneficial as soon as I wake up before I work out, or after I shower after my workout. I have also found nothing on whether you are supposed to air dry or if toweling off is ok (I would have to wake up earlier to allot for air drying time).

Joshua Naterman

Dousing feels good!