Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Progenex

Nicholas Sortino

Nicholas Sortino

Has anyone tried it? If so what are your opinions on it.

I know there are a lot of rave reviews coming in from the Crossfit community, but they are a sponsor for them, so I am slightly dubious. It is pretty expensive for a protein powder (although not as bad as some supps...) so I am probably not going to try it unless I hear some pretty good things about it compared to reqular whey.

If some people believe it is worth it, then a month trial may be in order.

Nicholas Sortino

Even if it was some magical elixir I still wouldn't drink it.

Any particular reason for this statement?

Nicholas Sortino
Its something like $80-100 a month. For that price I can almost buy a 1/4 grass fed cow.

Ok, I understand that much. It is very expensive.

So here is a better question, where in the world can you get a grass-fed quarter for $100? Becuase I would be all over that. I spend way to much money on meat.

Its something like $80-100 a month. For that price I can almost buy a 1/4 grass fed cow.

Ok, I understand that much. It is very expensive.

So here is a better question, where in the world can you get a grass-fed quarter for $100? Becuase I would be all over that. I spend way to much money on meat.

That sounds like a lot of meat! Ha ha ha!

Anyway, back to the subject my hand. My friend Aaron is a bodybuilder and he apparently used the stuff for a short period of time. I think it was about a month. He basically said that the stuff was wonderful, but as Nick mentioned, it's just way too expensive for what it is. There are alternative protein sources that work just as well and are far cheaper. Although Progenex may be better than most of the protein powders on the market, paying that much for something like that is just ludicrous (those were his words).

Tried it once at my friend's box. His friend, another box owner locally was on it religiously. I can't determine it's validity really on one use. Did a CF WOD, typical metcon BS and then a 5-3-1 session of one of the basic 4 lifts. I can't remember what, but that's what happens when you train in a CF box sometimes. Hah. My friend was personally trying to piss me off just cause.

At one time, I looked at the label and noticed it had A LOT of L-Leucine per serving. 15.2g to be exact. Now, they have changed the label and I have heard they have changed the make-up of their product.

Connolly is no longer with Progenex and is being sued by it's investors. Google it. It doesn't matter much with the product but more with his person.

An interesting product but I presupposed you could get a cheaper usage per serving with just adding L-Leucine to fancy filtered whey. Some thoughts are that Colustrum was added but it's hard to determine.

Per dose, it's not that expensive as some other protein products you might be in a store. But of course, everything tends to be cheaper online.

The price is a moot point for me since it's not something I could afford anyways.

Rave reviews are meaningless. The placebo effect is real and therefore makes all anecdotes from the Crossfit community absolutely worthless.

What publicly available, peer-reviewed evidence does this company have the justifies it prices being so high?

That is pretty much the problem with Dr. Connelly's work. Besides his inexact past which has been refuted by many of those he attests to.

Nicholas Sortino

I am changing my topic, since I don't feel like creating a new one, and it is still about me finding a good protein powder.

Anyone have any experience ordering from TrueProtein.com. Just found it, and noticed it had been mentioned here once before, but no one seemed to have gotten any yet. I like the idea of creating my own blend and the prices don't seem too shabby.

For anyone that has ordered and customized their own, what did you make yours? I am looking at 40% Whey isolate, 25% whole egg, 15% casien, 10% beef protien, 10% leucine 4:1:1. Probably will go with chocolate since it mixes well with (goat) milk and most of my green powder is chocolate flavored. Besides, chocolate is a flavor I never get tired of :mrgreen:

I'm actually ordering from them tomorrow -I'm ordering 40 percent Milk protein isolate (80 percent casein and 20 percent whey)

25 percent whey protein concentrate, and 35 percent gemma pea protein. so in toatl it'll be about 32, 33, and 35 percent whey, casein, and pea protein

This is a great mix that can be used whenever as it has fast, medium, and slow digesting proteins. This custom mix is a cheaper copy of their teamskip pre made mix -I'm looking forward to it and I hear you should go for premium flavours.

I myself am going for premium dutch chocolate

I only ordered flavors from there and I'd say the dutch chocolate is good but don't go for stuff like limeade and those weird things.. American reviews seemed to like them but they were just wayyyyyy to synthetic tasting for me..

Nicholas Sortino
I only ordered flavors from there and I'd say the dutch chocolate is good but don't go for stuff like limeade and those weird things.. American reviews seemed to like them but they were just wayyyyyy to synthetic tasting for me..

Cool, I don't really like flavors like that anyway. I am a pretty traditional guy when it comes to protein flavors. Like I said, if people say the dutch chocolate is good, I'll definitely go with that. I like chocolate like an overweight teenage girl unfortunately...

Thanks for the reply wheelson, let me know how you like it. I don't think I will be going for the pea protein, since I am not much of a fan of plants, and I think my idea has a pretty good mix of different speed proteins. But I would love to know how it works out for you. Peas just seem to be a strange source of protein to me... (At least you didn't get soy!)

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.