This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

start from scratch

Started by swarovski, September 13, 2010 · 179 Replies · 14,773 Views

swarovski

I ended up with just 2 training last week, I feel guilty of laziness...

my back is fine, I was then able to go motocrossing on sunday (yesterday) and managed to crash once again... good that besides minor bruises I'm all ok, lucky...

this morning I felt too tired, preferred to rest, gonna train tonight, no gym class, just me and the best 2 gymnasts, who practically lives in the gym. hope to grasp some new skill on the rings.

pogo69

I'm envious of your gym class. I joined an adult gym class a number of years ago but I was only there for a couple months before hurting my back (stupid mistake - overzealous front tuck practise after a day of heavy deadlifting) - had to take a break for a while then moved from the area.

are you doing or going to be doing any tumbling? I've always been rather intrigued by the idea of learning at least some rudimentary tumbling but I find it very difficult at my... more advanced stage of life :oops: ... I have absolutely no proprioception while upside down. I very easily lose track of which way is up. I imagine you'd have to be very careful with such also, with pre-existing back injuries.

swarovski

hey pat, thanks for stopping by.

well, to be objective, although everyone says that I look younger than I am, reality is that training with teens isn't that cool, kinda embarassing, they all move with ease and to most of them, I'll always be that weird stranger.

I do my best to stay focus and just take the most of all the outstanding stuff in the gym, learning and improving, but it's a controversial situation. Anyway, without this ongoing class I bet my gymnastic journey would have had come to an end already, there's always some hint for me from the few who don't actually pretend that I'm invisible and that's has been an important part in the process.

At the moment my back is almost painless, probably just a 5% of discomfort, so there's no way I can take it as an excuse to avoid tumbling, it's just that is all about flexibility and suppleness which I clearly don't have. Last time I gave it a go on the trampoline, I ended up scratching face and arms on a uncoordinated front flip landing, which honestly put me off. At the moment I'm just thinking that if I'm gonna be able to become flexible, things will take care of themselves with time. As far as I keep improving physically, health is the limit. 6 moths took me above average peers, I'm excited to see where few years will take me to.

On floor skills I'm still at kicking to HS and rolling out, even cartwheels are pretty far away...

haha.. last night was awful, I've probably never felt that empty and weak, strength levels aren't still a certainty...

pogo69

believe me, I know how it feels to be the odd man out in an "adult" gymnastics class. most of the "adults" in the class I briefly attended were barely "adult".

I must admit while I loved the idea of tumbling, I was somewhat fearful of that portion of the class (was most always towards the end). I think, in retrospect, I should have been spending more time with basics as you are, rather than trying to keep up with the young'ns and their fancy front tucks etc. and/or spent a whole lot more time leaping into the foam pit (I loved that thing!!).

and ye... flexibility is an issue - but then so are so many things. gymnastics exposes one weakness after another to the point where you're not quite sure what to focus on next?!? but I figure the best we can do is just pick of a couple/few things at a time and do remedial work for them as everything else progresses naturally. then pick the next weakness(es)... etc... etc... etc.

swarovski

you know, I'm at a point where I'd like to be an advanced athlete, but reality is that I've just started to walk the way, which isn't short for sure. I'm just curious to see how fitter I'm gonna be at 40 if things keep going like this.

I don't actually focus myself on few goals, I just keep practicing the few things that I can perform correctly, probably I don't need that much goal settings as I'm just enjoying the ride, I have no need to rush torwards anything, take IC as an example, it's the very distant in the future skill I'd like to master, and I know that to get there I have many other intermediate skills to attain along the way, but that's isn't worrying me, I'm just doing my best to go as far as I can.

In few years I'd like to be capable at oly lifts, be an intermediate gymnast, and retain my sprinting qualities. Haha... practically a better athlete that I've ever been...

I rested on tuesday.

it's been 2 weeks that I haven't been able to get up for early morning training, just feeling too tired at the moment.

wednesday at the gym went better, tried ring shoulderstand on the foam pit few times as well as some sort of tuck flyaways.

today went to the track for 2*3*200m

5' rope jumping

5' warm up

28sec-rest2:00-28s-rest2:00-30s-rest4:30-30s-rest2:00-32s-rest2:00-33s

5' cool down

plus cycling there and back to the office. 6km both ways.

pretty exhausted.

swarovski

I played a bit with testing on friday.

I can perform the 6' warm up (1' each: pb support, chin up hang, hollow, arch, front plank, reverse plank) I only struggled on the last ten seconds of arch.

I tested FSP I can hold a minute of each: pb tuck l-sit, frog stand, tuck FL, BL tuck, german hang, wall HS.

Nothing left to test other exercises.

saturday: rest

sunday: motocross

I'm now undecided if implementing a new training plan by the book, start scaling wod down or keep focusing on mobility. Shoulder flexibility is now ok, elbows seems fine too, right wrists is a bit weaker and stiffer, back is totally unflexible, hips are slowly improving and ankles and neck seems not to have changed. The major problem with WOD is manageability. A place to run, various equipment (sled, rings, pb, hb, all in one place), find right scaling in advance, I mean it sounds like an hassle already...

Think I'll be planning my own program once again...

swarovski

monday: fitness trail

instead of a circuit training modality I opted for a strength circuit (ample recovery time)

the usual hilly run focused on forefoot landing.

PB: support, l-sit, tuck PL, dips and swinging dips.

HB: pullovers, HLL, PU (varied), tuck FL.

SR: support, flat BL, GH.

3*12 OHS with 10kg bar and 3*10 10kg OH walking Lunges.

tuesday: track&field

30' barefoot pitch running

3*30 adductor flies

3*30 assisted full barefoot squat

side split PNF

tonight: gym class

I ordered a pair of sprint spikes, as I'm seriously thinking of following this program for the next 3-4 months and just using FSP and FBE for strength training:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/dash.htm

swarovski

wednesday class

went well, felt strong and able to perform 3 ring strength 1 in a row. I also did 3*3 pullovers.

thursday recovery

30min super easy barefoot grass running

friday track&Field

went for 2*3*200m, pulled left hamstring at the start of the third one. very upset.

being not in the mood to work out since then. I already have a massive hole in my right leg due to the quad I ruptured in 2008.

swarovski

well after few days of discomfort and unwillingness to work out, I got back at it on tuesday.

tuesday

basic FSP and FBE by the book

wednesday

easy 20' grass barefoot run

thursday

basic FSP and FBE by the book

there was no gym class this week due to easter holidays.

swarovski

april ended up being a maintanace month, I haven't been able to do strength workout more than twice a week.

I'd like to get back at 3-4 days a week plus all other activities I enjoy, hope to find a sustainable balance soon.

so I rested on friday and did some heavy gardening on saturday. Motocross on sunday went very well, the ground wasn't too technical or tricky, I rode better than usual, I'm pretty happy with it. Still some arm pumping.

swarovski

monday

lunch break: 30min barefoot pitch running, 2*5*80m at 80% on sprint spikes, 3*15 deep assisted squat.

evening: cycling and a short ring strength routine

tuesday

rest

wednesday

lunch break: 20min barefoot pitch running, 2*5*100m at 80% on sprint spikes, 3*15 deep assisted squat.

evening: gym class, strength and skills. MU are at will now.

thursday

rest

swarovski

friday

30' grass barefoot running; 2*50m 90%, 5*100m 80%

lugano is an amazing place compared to my hometown torino, there are so many possibilities for real fitness.

the athletic track at the stadium is available every day to the general public, across the street there is the 24/7 fitness trail and to the other side, beach volley, football pitch, etc... amazing since all of this is 10' cycling from work or 2' run from home!!

I had the chance to ask the lugano athletic sprint coach to drop an eye on my sprinting form and he told me, to my great pleasure, that it was good, I only need to relax more in the upper body, he even went so far to tell me that I can train with their team if I like. So happy, sprinting and gymnastics are my favourites training form and I can now practice them both. I'm truly getting fit now, I haven't been like this in 10 years or more.

saturday

I took a real concrete/brick wall down with a sledge hammer. rather fun.

sunday

motocross. I was very late in the 'noon, I ended up being the only one in. I rode well those few laps, I felt confident and in control, I even threw a kind of air trick. No bad for someone who started motocrossing at 31!!

tonight

fitness trail, PB, HB, SR. I'll be training FSP and FBE. Monday gym class has been mostly only available for competitive gymnasts lately, It's going to be like this for another month or so.

swarovski

monday went as planned at the fitness trail:

SR: 60s support, 2*30s GH, 4*15s BL flat, 5*5 curl, 3 360 piked, 3 MU

HB: 5*10 HLL 90, 5*5 mixed var PU, 4*15s FL tuck, 3 pullovers

PB: 4*15s PL tuck, 4*15s L-sit low, 5*5 dips, 10 swinging dips

tuesday: T&F

30' grass barefoot running, 2*5 100m 80-90%, 3*15 assisted sumo squats

swarovski

wednesday lunch break T&F:

I trained with the athletic sprint team, much better than by myself. They say that I'm good at it given that I've never done athletics before.

warm up, 5*30m 100%, 2*50m 100%, 1*120m 100%, cool down.

wednesday evening gym class:

pretty tired, but still a good training even if my hands were hurting like hell from cirques.

swarovski

thursday:

rest

friday T&F:

warmup, mobility, technique, 2*4*150m under 22sec, cool down.

swarovski

LswGzqzHTqY

swarovski

yesterday played with the camera, nothing serious.

as the left hamstring I pulled at easter is sore once more, I took today super easy on the track.

30min barefoot slow pitch running, 3*15 assisted sumo squat, 3*6 20sec wall HS, 2*1min wall seats, 2*10 wrists PU.

tonight I'll try to have a proper GB workout.

swarovski

tuesday went as planned at the fitness trail:

PB: 2*30s support, 4*15s PL tuck, 4*15s L-sit low, 5*5 dips

SR: 3 MU, 2*30s GH, 4*15s BL flat

HB: 5*10 HLL 90, 5*5 mixed var PU, 4*15s FL tuck, 3 pullovers

wednesday and thursday:

I was sick!

swarovski

friday T&F:

felt better and did a bit of a workout. 20min barefoot slow pitch running, 3*15 asian squat, 1min each: hollow, arch, pb support, pullup hang, plank, rev plank, air squat. 3 HeS press, 4*30sec wall HS, 4*15sec frog.

saturday:

played run and chase with kids for hours...

sunday:

1st ever motocross race. set myself for 3 goals: finish the day fit enough to be able to workout on monday - to be in full control of my bike at all times (sure I made some mistakes, mostly due to arms pumping), cross finish line on both manche of 10 laps, keep at least one rider behind me. Pretty happy, accomplished all 3 goals. Placed 16th out of 21.

monday lunch break T&F:

10min barefoot slow pitch running, 15min running skills, 5*80m runs at 80% barefoot on pitch, jogged 2 laps as cool down, 3*15 asian squat.

monday evening gym class:

usual stuff on strength and skills. A gymnast took the time to teach me the PB bucket swings, wow.. my hands and shoulders are still hurting... did some progress on those, from not even being able to jump in the starting position (very embarassing) to beginner level, Gymnastic skills are so damn difficult!! anyway, back lever is improving, I can now completely extend one leg. I think I'm a couple of months away from a full BL.

Joshua Naterman

You're doing great! I'm glad your injuries seem to be fading away!

swarovski

hey josh,

thanks for stopping by and dropping a line, I really appreciate it.

I'm slow at reading, you know, full time job, family, chores, training, etc but I'm halfway through pain free and still confused if I should implement his maintanace program somehow or if my training schedule has made it redundant. What's your suggestions on this as from egoscue's point of view every sport and individual lack something? let's say that lately I've been within 5% or less lower back discomfort, probably only due to the fact that I'm glued to an office chair. I now use orthotics sparingly.

Joshua Naterman

Nice. I would suggest doing static back with the elbow presses for trap activation followed by each side of the groin pose that is similar to static back, where one leg is straight and lower to the ground to allow the hips to relax. I think that those are the two things that I would suggest for everyone just to keep things functioning well.

Between that and a basic squat matrix I have found that I never have problems with anything and that others are experiencing the same thing. The rest is great if you know you have imbalances, but those two are the core of the program. If time is an issue or you just want to minimize the time what I am suggesting should get you done in about 7 minutes. 3 min of static back followed by 2 minutes of each side. Sorry, I don't remember his name for that one.

The most important thing is that the chapters will help give a very nice understanding of how many painful conditions sort of spring up, which will let you assess yourself much more accurately.

swarovski

thanks slizz,

I'll try to fit those e-cises into my plans, still gotta finish the book first. I always appreciate your inputs.

as for training.

tuesday

rest

wdnesday gym class:

focused on handstand

thursday:

rest

pogo69

Good to hear you're making solid progress after the string of injuries. Will have to get myself a copy of Pain Free sometime. Was hoping to find it at the library, but no such luck.

swarovski

It's been a week without logging. Not much to report anyway as I've spent 4 days in edinburgh to watch the world sevens series. Even met the all blacks coach (titch), he's won the world series nine years out of 12, 3 commonwealth golds and 1 world cup, probably one of the most successful coach in the history of any sport, he's a living legend.

so it's been a week without any proper workout, just some scattered short mobility and statics sessions.

Wednesday gym class:

felt mostly heavy and tired, not much accomplished, best thing as usual were Muscleups and pullovers, still working on those PB bucket swings... damn, it wreck my hands!!

thursday:

started mobilitywod.com I feel that this is the top priority right now, not sure how long is gonna take to achieve full splits, if ever, but I really want to master the bottom position of asian squats, third-world squat or whatever it's called before anything else. I've been working on it for such long time now.