This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

start from scratch

Started by swarovski, September 13, 2010 · 179 Replies · 14,773 Views

swarovski

nope, yesterday and probably today I wouldn't be able to manage some time for training. A couple of days of rest shouldn't be bad anyway. Let's see if I can work out in the weekend.

jakaro

Hey man good to see you back so soon after hurting your wrist back there. I doubt a couple days off would hurt, might even help. Keep up the training, hope to see some training on here pretty quick though, I think the weekends almost over..

swarovski

thanks j.

yea right wrist hurts, I had to practice HS on parallettes to be able to actually get inverted, I think it'll takes a couple of weeks more to ease the pain. Still, motocrossing yesterday went well. Too tired this morning to start the weekly schedule, tonight I'm going to gym class afterall.

I definitely want to get my 4 days BtGB WO done by saturday anyhow. I'm not functioning like a gymnast yet, but I start looking like one... with some committed diet I'm pretty ripped compared to few months ago, I'll post the before and after pictures as soon as I feel there. Isn't the all thing named "Gymnastic Bodies"? probably every adult newcomer to gymnastic training should show something like that, just to motivate other newcomers. Where one started, how he looked back then, where he got after committed training, what training plan took him there and how he finally look. Just because it'll takes years to perform like a level one gymnast, but I reckon only few months of training to look like one (sure it all depends from the starting point).

Ok, enough about it on the BtGB cover...

jakaro

Definately right on looking more like a gymnastic than performing like one yet. I feel like moving somewhere warmer so I never have to wear a shirt! I wish I had some official starting pics. Feel like I'm cheating! My gains come so much faster than my peers that have been wasting time in the weight room. Of course to them it's "genetics" or other excuses. I can't imagine what is possible, but I like to. It's so inspiring seeing vids on here, especially the YouTube vids by Ido Portal. That's where I'd like to be and I have a lifetime to work on it.

swarovski

well, I watched few ido's vids and read his blog, but I'm not even ready to implement his warm up, still I miss the point in things like capoeira and tricking. I think they don't classify as sports and I'm usually attracted to real sports.

Eat move Improve has some really outstanding articles and I like to remember this to anyone I talk to about fitness:

"This is a little lesson explaining the effects that nutrition and exercise have on each other.

I. Diet modulates weight.

II. Exercise modulates body composition.

1. Nutrition quality will improve how fast you lose weight (and improve health).

2. Exercise intensity will improve how fast your body composition changes."

People usually don't put the effort to understand what they do and how they should do it. If one is too lazy to read a couple of books he's going to be too lazy to work out with some focus and consistency. It's not about genetic or talent, it's about commitment.

I got into this regimen as I wanted to get and stay fit, to keep enjoying recreational sports as it seems that the older you get the harder it is to keep going. I started working out in january at 83kg(183lb) after a couple of year of inactivity and I'm now 74kg(163lb), not bad considered that I had 3 months stop due to a lower back injury and it's been just a month into real gymnastic training. I had to circuit training (kinda crossfit) for few months in order to get to the entry level of 10PU 10dips 10HLL to start gymnastic training. Still it's just the beginning, I want to be able to perform coach WOD as rx'd within a year.

Now back to the log

yesterday gym session went well, even if I had to sub few things due to my sore wrist.

I had a bad night sleep but I started my weekly BtGB program as planned, I was very tired at the end.

#12. tuesday 2010-10-05

warmup

circles (neck, shoulders, wrists, hips, knees, ankles) 10*

high knee lift 20*, spiderman 10*, mountainclimber 10*, seal 10*, ladder 10*

reverse push ups 3*10s, bridge 3*10s, arch 3*10s, hollow 3*10s

HS FX 9x25-30s

ring support 3*30s

¦-L-sit tuck 9*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 9*10s

5kg bar OH lunges 30*, 5kg bar OH full squats 30*

¦-dips PB 5-5-4-3-3

¦-pull ups HB 5-5-4-3-3

v-ups 5*15

static stretching

perceived exertion: F16

swarovski

I got up late, had to skip warm up and stretching, anyway, I'm gonna do plenty at gym class tonight.

I decided to variate leg work a bit, instead of doing 30* 5kg bar OH lunges and 30* 5kg bar OH squats as skill work on every WO, I'm going to alternate those with 3*10 of jump lunges and jump squats (10 lunges 10 squats rest, 3 times)

#13. wednesday 2010-10-06

HS FX 9x15-25s

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 9*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 9*10s

---------------------------

¦-5kg bar jump lunges 10-10-10

¦-5kg bar jump squats 10-10-10

---------------------------

¦-push ups XR 5-5-5-5-5

¦-row XR 5-5-5-5-5

---------------------------

deck squats 5*10

perceived exertion: E16

swarovski

I had a day off yesterday as I don't sleep well at all after gym class on monday and wednesday night as I finish at 10pm. Hamstrings and quads very stiff because of wednesday jump squats and jump lunges. I want to manage at least 1 sprint training a week, something like 3 x 6 x 40 (80%) [3' & 8'] and 2 x 3 x 200 (80%) [3' & 8']. Though it'll take a while...

#14. friday 2010-10-08

Warm Up

10' skipping rope (just to variate and keep practicing at it as I really enjoy it)

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 9*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 9*10s

---------------------------

5kg bar Over Head Squats 30*

5kg bar Over Head Lunges 30*

---------------------------

¦-dips PB 5-5-4-3-3

¦-Pull Ups HB 5-5-4-3-3

---------------------------

v-ups 5*15

HS FX 9*20-25s (I had to bring parallettes back home from the garage)

10' static stretching

perceived exertion: E16

jakaro

Just noticed you alternate l-sit/German hang, nice, I think I'm gonna use that in my training, they should work real good together and that'll shave a little time and add some intensity.

swarovski

in the first few posts I've explained why I've choosen the two and alternating them. I started from the easiest position on planche, front and back lever only to realize that I wasn't strong enough for them (FL in particular) even if I could hold them for more than 10s. Form wasn't good at all. So I then dug on posts to find a better set for my level and I came out with ring support, l-sit tuck and skinning the cat to german hang with a bottom hold and go back to starting position (not jumping off rings from bottom hold). What I'm trying to do is to build a base to start the real FSP work from december (after 12 weeks on this introductory program). yep, alternating L-sit and german hang works well for me.

swarovski

once again I felt too tired to complete the weekly schedule, I run late with saturday morning training, I had to stop after HS and didn't have either energy or time to complete it later in the day, sport practice on sunday (motocross).

No way I could start working out this morning, though I'm going to gym class after office.

swarovski

monday 2010-10-11: gym class

tuesday 2010-10-12: rest

today wednesday 2010-10-13: morning BtGB training and gym class later on

#15. wednesday 2010-10-13 (starting the weekly schedule)

25' Warm Up

HS FX 10*25-30s

5' rope skipping

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 5*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s

---------------------------

5kg bar Over Head Squats 30*

5kg bar Over Head Lunges 30*

---------------------------

¦-dips PB 5-5-4-3-3

¦-Pull Ups HB 5-5-4-3-3

---------------------------

v-ups 5*15

5' static stretching

perceived exertion: E15

swarovski

I've changed the weighted jumps (5kg hahaha...), instead of 30* jump squats and then 30* jump lunges I'm going to alternate 5 JS and 5 JL for 5 series as last week I had accumulated lactic acid in my legs which impared my abilities for few days.

#16. thursday 2010-10-14

5' Warm Up

HS FX 10*15-20s

ring support 3*25s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s

---------------------------

¦-5kg bar Jump Squats 5*5

¦-5kg bar Jump Lunges 5*5

---------------------------

¦-push ups XR 5*5

¦-rows XR 5*5

---------------------------

deck squats 5*10

5' static stretching

perceived exertion: F16

Joshua Naterman

Believe it or not, lactate gets cleared within a few hours. If ability is impaired it will be from CNS depression, local NM inhibition, energy depletion, or some combination of the above.

swarovski

slizz thanks for the clarification, plus I appreciate the fact you're keeping an eye on me. Even if I've read quite few times about sports physiology it's something really hard to remember when not to understand for myself, unfortunately I'll never be able to explain anything on the subject to anyone but I'll try once more to dig on the clues you've given to me.

#17. friday 2010-10-15

10' Warm Up - rope skipping

ring support 3*25s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s

---------------------------

5kg bar OH Squats 30*

5kg bar OH Lunges 30*

---------------------------

¦-dips PB 5-5-4-3-3

¦-pullups HB 5-5-4-3-3

---------------------------

v-ups tuck 5*15

HS FX 10*15-20s

5' static stretching

perceived exertion: E16

swarovski

Too tired to go motocrossing on sunday, plus it would have been too muddy due to sat rain. No training this morning (monday), still a bit tired, I overdid on saturday as I really wanted to do some sprint training as well, but really happy anyway as I scored my perfect 10!! The scale said 73.4kg this morning it was showing 83.4 back in january.

#18. saturday 2010-10-16

10' Warm Up - jogging to track

10' - rope skipping

3*6*40m [1' & 3'] under 6s

3*200m [3'] under 30s

10' - jogging back home

ring support 3*25s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s

---------------------------

¦-5kg bar Jump Squats 5*5

¦-5kg bar Jump Lunges 5*5

---------------------------

¦-push ups XR 5*5

¦-rows XR 5*5

---------------------------

deck squats 5*10

HS FX 10*20-25s

10' static stretching

perceived exertion: F17

jakaro

Real smart pb set-up man, I was impressed. Looks like a great home gym, thanks for posting that.

I feel like I've already taken enough ideas from you, I really think this log should be where new folks to this training should be pointed. I'm really enjoying the dynamic stretching and am trying to get in 3 rounds a day. I think that I will see if my carpenter friend will make me a pb set-up like that, I have no tools at all and aren't very handy with them anyway.

swarovski

glad my journey is helping other newcomers, that's also why I started to keep a training log and thanks for your very nice words.

yeah, better to ask a carpenter as isn't easy at all to be precise and straight with a jig saw on such thick panels. I actually have a full time desk job, I'm not that good handworker I'm a city guy.

last night went to gym class, this morning started weekly routine, I really comminting myself to this bodyweight stuff.

#19. tuesday 2010-10-19

20' mobility Warm Up

HS FX 10*20-25s

ring support 3*25s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s

---------------------------

5kg bar Over Head Lunges 30*

5kg bar Over Head Squats 30*

---------------------------

¦-dip XR 5-5-4-3-3 (still unable to perform 5*5 on this combined FBE)

¦-pull up XR 5-5-4-3-3

---------------------------

v-up tuck 5*15

10' static stretching

perceived exertion: E15

swarovski

twentieth GB training, I think I'm halfway into the first cycle (as 5*5 pull ups and dips are still out of reach), anyway I'm very excited to get to the real stuff as the program I'm following is just a personally tailored foundation layer. I wasn't and still I am not able to follow WOD even if I try to scale it to the easiest level. Though I almost look like an advanced gymnast and, above all, I'm gaining back the flexibility I haven't enjoyed in many years.

#20. wednesday 2010-10-20

25' Warm Up

HS FX 10*25-30s

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s (a bit of pain on my left shoulder)

---------------------------

¦-5kg bar Jump Lunges 5*5

¦-5kg bar Jump Squats 5*5

---------------------------

¦-push ups XR 5*5

¦-rows XR 5*5

---------------------------

deck squats 5*10

10' static stretching

perceived exertion: F14

swarovski

did wednesday gym class and rested on thursday.

#21. friday 2010-10-22

20' mobility Warm Up

HS FX 10*20-25s

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s

---------------------------

5kg bar Over Head Lunges 30*

5kg bar Over Head Squats 30*

---------------------------

¦-dip XR 5-5-5-5-5

¦-pull up XR 5-5-5-5-4

---------------------------

v-up tuck 5*15

10' static stretching

perceived exertion: E16

swarovski

I did an abbreviated routine just to finish off my weekly routine. I went motocrossing on sat and today I wasn't fully recovered from it. I think I'm going to take a week off as right wrist and leg are giving me troubles. I'm satisfied with what I've accomplished from the past 6 weeks and I had some pretty intense weeks as well.

#22. sunday 2010-10-24

20' Warm Up

HS FX 10*15-20s

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s (felt strong today)

---------------------------

¦-push ups XR 5*5

¦-rows XR 5*5

---------------------------

v-ups tuck 5*15

perceived exertion: E13

no leg work or stretching as leg felt bad during v-ups

swarovski

I'm back in training after a week of total rest and 5 days of diclofenac 50mg 3 times a day, still not sure how long I'll last as it seems I'm developing a sciatica!!

right wrist improved just a bit, still not able to work freely on floor, I need to lock wrist (on knuckles or parallettes).

Read Convict Conditioning after digging into the discussion started by Mr Brady about it and I've found it to be the best book on calisthenics, just as he said a precious gateway to BtGB, even if people on this forum keep saying that you can scale WOD to grandma level, I don't see like anyone after 30, even if in a decent shape (which to the average adult looks outstanding) can start front lever or planche and actually progress at it with perfect form and control without developing some injuries in few weeks.

anyway I managed 2 work out so far, changed few things, felt weaker in general compared on how I was feeling before the brake.

#23. monday 2010-11-01

20' Warm Up (scaled floor bridge to straight bridges from now on)

5' rope jumping

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s (rotate arms outward in a couple of reps, very hard on elbows and biceps)

---------------------------

Supported squats 3*30

---------------------------

¦-dips PB 5-5-5-4-4

¦-pullups XR 5-5-4-3-3

---------------------------

HS FX 10*15-20s (arms couldn't hold after 20 sec)

v-ups tuck 5*15

5' static stretching

perceived exertion: E15

#24. tuesday 2010-11-02

30' Warm Up (went longer as I tried to relieve pain on right leg through a long warm up, it didn't work)

HS FX 10*15-20s (arms couldn't hold after 20 sec)

ring support 3*30s

---------------------------

¦-L-sit tuck 6*15s

¦-German hang bottom hold 6*10s (rotate arms outward in a couple of reps, very hard on elbows and biceps)

---------------------------

Supported squats 3*30

---------------------------

¦-push ups XR 5*5

¦-rows XR 5*5

---------------------------

deck squats 5*15

static stretching (almost nothing as leg-back pain was far too intense at this point)

perceived exertion: E16

swarovski

It seems that in the past ten 10 years or so, every time I start getting fit some injury will come my way, even this time that I took it very slowly and very cautiosly. Doc told me to stop any physical training until I don't heal from this sciatica. It won't be quick to overcome it. Apparently the cause seems to be a new pair of professionally made orthotics which made my lower back trouble to fade only to make this new sciatica to appear...

Shit, all I wanted was to follow BtGB. Think once healed I'll have to start from scratch once again...

pogo69

mate, that sucks.

but yes, if you keep getting injured, I would back right off and concentrate more on re-hab/pre-hab for a while. work with medical professionals (assuming you can find one you trust) to assess safe limits and build slowly.

post something elsewhere in the forums perhaps, for additional advice. I'm a long way from expert and not everyone would be reading the workout logs.

swarovski

cheers mate,

gotta say that compared to my rugby days I'm taking it very easy, it's just that I'm not that lucky on this matter, most of my injuries comes from how much and how far I pushed in rugby or some nasty falls on bikes. I accumulated an endless list of injuries over the years and that's something you can never get over. Well, you may know what I'm talking about, rugby union is quite big in QLD. I love the sport and I quitted just because my body couldn't cope with it any longer.

Anyway just like nietzsche said:

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger. "

pogo69

haha... I know of rugby union injuries only anecdotally!! at my size, I'd be very quickly destroyed on a rugby field!! I played one game back in high school as a sub, because half the team was out for one reason or another; and that scared me off for life!

nietzsche was probably right, but he's not feeling what my shoulders feel like after those pseudo-planche pushups the other day.

anyway, good luck with it!