Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

need pics of how xtreme rings attach to ceiling/bar/etc

Darius Sohei

i need to see how the xtreme rings connect to a ceiling/bar/etc

i tentatively plan on latching them to a first floor fire escape outside my apartment, as my apartment's ceilings are not suitable, but i need to see how they attach first, thanks~!

Aaron Griffin

I've mostly seen people attach rings with the same sort of eye hooks you use for heavy bags. I've looked into it for my apartment and see no decent way to do it. I've actually debated getting a "power tower" just for the added foot or so over my doorway pullup bar...

The 'How to Set Up ' thread has some shots of how the strap actually goes together.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=406

Its just a big loop that can be opened and closed.

Admittedly its not always convenient to do so but if your fire escape allows you to thread the loop around it somewhere its easy and you won't need to buy anything extra.

I imagine you mean you want to set them up inside, and in that case the eye bolts are the best thing to do. That is if you are able to put a couple of holes in the ceiling. They can be repaired when moving time comes.

The biggest trick to the job is finding the ceiling joists and getting the eyebolts to go into them. Once you find them then you should drill a pilot hole for the eyebolt and screw it in.

If thats not an option, some people will buy a doorway pull up bar and mount the rings to it, then you won't need to do anything to your apartment, however the doorway gives a very limited range of motion, so the ceiling is much better.

The biggest trick to the job is finding the ceiling joists and getting the eyebolts to go into them. Once you find them then you should drill a pilot hole for the eyebolt and screw it in.

Have you ever done this? I'm scared to do it. I fear tearing my ceiling to shreds. Any points for this?

Joshua Naterman

I have! Your best bet is a stud finder. There are two good ones that I know of: One is an extended knuckle and the other is one of those cute ones at home depot. While knuckles are free, those little devices from the hardware store have red LEDs that shine on the wall. It kind of makes me feel like I have a Star Trek phaser, you know?

Anyways, if you are not confident in your ability to rap on the ceiling with your knuckle and determine where the ceiling is the least hollow(it will sound different, and that sound will only be in like 1/10th of the ceiling, most of it is hollow) I would spend 15 bucks and get an electronic stud finder. The one with the light really is convenient.

After you mark the stud, determine which drill bit you need. Don't worry about numbers, those can be deceiving. Hold the drill bit up in front of the threaded part of the eye bolt: When the drill bit obscures most or all of the solid metal part but still leaves ALL of the thread in plain view you have found the right drill bit! Now don your safety glasses or goggles(chemistry goggles, swimming goggles, and diving masks all work great) and drill smack in the middle of the stud. Do not drill at a right angle to a switch or a lighting fixture, or anything else electronic if you have weird electronics hanging from your ceiling. Realistically, as long as you're not right on line with a wall switch you should be fine, and generally that shouldn't matter either in properly wired ceilings, but it's best to be safe!

Once you've drilled your holes (18" apart is official width, but I prefer to use the outside measurement of my shoulders, which is wider for me) start screwing in the eye bolt! This will quickly become a pain if you're doing it by hand, so once it's in take some kind of thin, straight tool (screwdriver, needle nose pliers, the handle of pliers, etc) and stick it through the eye of the eyebolt. Now just crank it in until all the threads are inside the wood! To do this, you'll need to make sure that your drill bit is longer than the threaded part of the eye bolt. That is almost always a given with 3/8" eye bolts, which are plenty strong for basic strength.

Joshua Naterman

You might be right about that. I thought I saw 18 kicked around somewhere , but I don't remember. I looked it up once. 50cm +/- .5cm, or 19.685" +/- 0.2". I was way off!

Does anyone know how much strain this puts on things? I mean... is there an easy way to know if I am safe? I assume my building is up to code, and I weigh 155... what sort of weights should the studs be able to support?

Yes the eye bolt and carbiner will be stronger than the ceiling. I just put my caribiner directly in the eye bolt, this just means i have to climb up on a chair to take the rings down, not a big deal for me. I do use the straps to hold my chin up bar (aka oak dowel) though.

To make it absolutely bomb proof, mount the eye bolts to a 2 x 6 and then spanning three ceiling joists, mount the s x 6 to the ceiling using 6 1/4" wood screws. You'll never have to worry.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand a thing! lol. Sry, I don't anything about carpentry (materials, etc.) Could anyone be so kind to post a video showing step by step how to setup the rings? I want to make sure I can set them up in my bedroom before I buy them. =/

Thanks a lot!

Have you seen page 2 of the pics thread linked to earlier? If you have anything where you could normally throw a string over or through then you can also set up the XR given that your ceiling will hold your weight :)

I don't understand a thing! lol. Sry, I don't anything about carpentry (materials, etc.) Could anyone be so kind to post a video showing step by step how to setup the rings? I want to make sure I can set them up in my bedroom before I buy them. =/

Thanks a lot!

Slizzardman's approach is almost exactly what I've done. I'll take some pictures and post them.