This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Brandon Green's workout log

Started by cccp22, September 8, 2010 · 52 Replies · 4,106 Views

cccp22

Hello all,

It's been awhile. I have added bulbine natalensis(tropinol). VERY anabolic. describe how it has changed my training later.

Brandon Green

Razz

I just searched a bit on pubmed and it seems to work well in rats. Would be cool to hear how it affected you :)

cccp22
Razz said:
I just searched a bit on pubmed and it seems to work well in rats. Would be cool to hear how it affected you :)

************ Reduced soreness(to include connective tissue),ability to execute more sets at given intensity level,greater size increase. Basically the same as the "J" but not quite( as i recall).

Example workout: Bulgarian dips 10 sets of 10 (2 min. rest and no drop in intensity)

Brandon Green

cccp22

Hello all,

Been quite a awhile since i last posted (going to school for a mechatronics degree). Using Bulbine has been great for my recovery. Still just a "little" ways from a full xr back lever(remember that i weigh 250). German hang, pullups and dipping have risen quite dramatically.

In order to graduate( in about a year) i have to have a "project". I would sure like to build me an "ARP". Wonder if it's "legal"?

Will post more in a bit.

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

My understanding is that building is pretty much always more legal than buying. You'd never be able to use it on anyone, of course, or make any claims about it, but if you make it right you could use it yourself with no legal concerns. As far as I am aware, all legality regarding e-stim is about purchasing a unit, not owning one. Same goes for guns. If you build your own, you don't have to worry about the laws regarding commerce because you are not buying one. Everything else, of course, still applies. Obviously, I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal counsel.

Stewart Whaley

I am a lawyer, but I am NOT giving you legal advice. Just making a

comment.

Get some real legal research done on the legality of making a class 2 medical device.

By example, I might 'know a guy' that built a sweet sawed-off

shotgun for home defense. I really wanted one so I checked some federal regs.

Without getting the proper ATF approval and tax stamp BEFORE construction it is a felony with a max 5 year stretch and $250,000 fine.

Odds are he would never get caught since it didn't leave his house

but he also wouldn't have done it if he knew the penalty beforehand.

He and his wife FLIPPED the !!!! out when they later found out.

Plus he can't use it unless he wants to deal with a serious felony, so it is just

a liability.

It is also a violation to NOT notify ATF and tell them you made it illegally

so they can make sure it gets destroyed ( which is admitting the felony)!

Probably the ARP isn't so much trouble, but use a legitimate source to at least find out what liability might exist.

I'm just saying...

Joshua Naterman
whaleysa said:
I am a lawyer, but I am NOT giving you legal advice. Just making a

comment.

Get some real legal research done on the legality of making a class 2 medical device.

By example, I might 'know a guy' that built a sweet sawed-off

shotgun for home defense. I really wanted one so I checked some federal regs.

Without getting the proper ATF approval and tax stamp BEFORE construction it is a felony with a max 5 year stretch and $250,000 fine.

Odds are he would never get caught since it didn't leave his house

but he also wouldn't have done it if he knew the penalty beforehand.

He and his wife FLIPPED the !!!! out when they later found out.

Plus he can't use it unless he wants to deal with a serious felony, so it is just

a liability.

It is also a violation to NOT notify ATF and tell them you made it illegally

so they can make sure it gets destroyed ( which is admitting the felony)!

Probably the ARP isn't so much trouble, but use a legitimate source to at least find out what liability might exist.

I'm just saying...

+100! I totally agree. Legal advice is a must, especially when you're thinking about making something for a project that you will be showing.

Larry Roseman

Hi Brandon, I read above that you're using the Citrulline/malate supplement. Also you take a lot of other things, so it may be hard to tell what is affecting what and how much, but how do you like the CM? Are you taking it every day, or just on heavy workout days? I posted a fairly new study about that on the sticky concerning this supplement.

Regarding strength they weren't looking for an increase, but rather endurance. It seems to help strength endurance.

But I'm really curious after you have trained at higher reps or volume, and you stop taking it, if you can still manage

the higher reps or volume?

Also, have you noticed if DOMs is reduced, if you had that before?

Thanks,

FIN

Larry Roseman

Also, I think I read you take bulbine natalensis... not to freak you out but what you take you should probably have a full blood/urine analysis at some point to make sure your readings are still relatively normal:

Creatinine, urea, and uric acid are major catabolic products of muscle, protein, and purine metabolism, respectively. Although creatinine and uric acid levels were not altered, the increase in urea levels further support selective toxic effect of the extract. Such an increase in urea levels might indicate impairment in renal function. (32) Alterations in the liver and kidney histology in this study further lend credence to the localized/selective toxicity of the extract. This, however, could explain the alterations in the functional parameters of the liver and kidney investigated. It can therefore be concluded that the alterations in some indices of liver and kidney function as well as the selective morphological changes in the organs following treatment with the aqueous extract ofB. natalensis stem is dose and parameter specific. The liver functional indices were more adversely affected than the kidney parameters, probably because the liver is a vulnerable target to a number of toxicants since it metabolizes foreign substances to compounds that may be hepatotoxic as well. The hepato- and nephrotoxic effects of the extract will adversely affect the normal hepatic and renal functioning of the animals. Therefore, the plant is not completely "safe" in male rats when repeatedly consumed for 14 days.

[Doses of 25, 50, and 100 mg/kg]

From the journal of medicinal food in 2009.

http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-hea ... 352-1.html

cccp22
FutureisNow said:
Hi Brandon, I read above that you're using the Citrulline/malate supplement. Also you take a lot of other things, so it may be hard to tell what is affecting what and how much, but how do you like the CM? Are you taking it every day, or just on heavy workout days? I posted a fairly new study about that on the sticky concerning this supplement.

Regarding strength they weren't looking for an increase, but rather endurance. It seems to help strength endurance.

But I'm really curious after you have trained at higher reps or volume, and you stop taking it, if you can still manage

the higher reps or volume?

Also, have you noticed if DOMs is reduced, if you had that before?

Thanks,

The citrulline helps lower lactate and seems to give me sort of a "pump". As far as DOMS don't know since i take Bulbine.

Brandon Green

FIN

cccp22
FutureisNow said:
Also, I think I read you take bulbine natalensis... not to freak you out but what you take you should probably have a full blood/urine analysis at some point to make sure your readings are still relatively normal:

Creatinine, urea, and uric acid are major catabolic products of muscle, protein, and purine metabolism, respectively. Although creatinine and uric acid levels were not altered, the increase in urea levels further support selective toxic effect of the extract. Such an increase in urea levels might indicate impairment in renal function. (32) Alterations in the liver and kidney histology in this study further lend credence to the localized/selective toxicity of the extract. This, however, could explain the alterations in the functional parameters of the liver and kidney investigated. It can therefore be concluded that the alterations in some indices of liver and kidney function as well as the selective morphological changes in the organs following treatment with the aqueous extract ofB. natalensis stem is dose and parameter specific. The liver functional indices were more adversely affected than the kidney parameters, probably because the liver is a vulnerable target to a number of toxicants since it metabolizes foreign substances to compounds that may be hepatotoxic as well. The hepato- and nephrotoxic effects of the extract will adversely affect the normal hepatic and renal functioning of the animals. Therefore, the plant is not completely "safe" in male rats when repeatedly consumed for 14 days.

Good idea. I take a liver detox but never the less ?

Brandon Green

[Doses of 25, 50, and 100 mg/kg]

From the journal of medicinal food in 2009.

http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-hea ... 352-1.html

Larry Roseman
cccp22 said:
FutureisNow said:
Also, I think I read you take bulbine natalensis... not to freak you out but what you take you should probably have a full blood/urine analysis at some point to make sure your readings are still relatively normal:

[Doses of 25, 50, and 100 mg/kg]

From the journal of medicinal food in 2009.

http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-hea ... 352-1.html

Good idea. I take a liver detox but never the less ?

Brandon Green

It doesn't hurt, especially if you're taking multiple compounds, to be sure there are no harmful drug-interactions as well.

Liver detox is something of a red herring as if enough liver cells are killed they tend to be replaced by fiberous tissue.

If the detox (milk thistle?) could detoxify the substance you're taking, then the substance would be inactivated and have no good or bad effect. Usually it just gives the liver more work to do. Toxicity is dosage dependent and these side effects may (or may not) be occuring. A blood test just a precaution to find out.

Do you not experience any DOMS when taking both the CM and this? Or if you do, after a heavy workout does it last 24 hours, 48 or longer?

cccp22
FutureisNow said:
cccp22 said:
FutureisNow said:
Also, I think I read you take bulbine natalensis... not to freak you out but what you take you should probably have a full blood/urine analysis at some point to make sure your readings are still relatively normal:

[Doses of 25, 50, and 100 mg/kg]

From the journal of medicinal food in 2009.

http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-hea ... 352-1.html

Good idea. I take a liver detox but never the less ?

Brandon Green

It doesn't hurt, especially if you're taking multiple compounds, to be sure there are no harmful drug-interactions as well.

Liver detox is something of a red herring as if enough liver cells are killed they tend to be replaced by fiberous tissue.

If the detox (milk thistle?) could detoxify the substance you're taking, then the substance would be inactivated and have no good or bad effect. Usually it just gives the liver more work to do. Toxicity is dosage dependent and these side effects may (or may not) be occuring. A blood test just a precaution to find out.

Do you not experience any DOMS when taking both the CM and this? Or if you do, after a heavy workout does it last 24 hours, 48 or longer?

Really ? Milk thistle inactivates the substance one's taking ? My Russian sprint coach friend told me that the Soviets regularly used a liver detox (containing milk thistle) while on oral roids. Hardly any DOMS with Bulbine.

Brandon Green

Larry Roseman
FutureisNow said:
cccp22 said:
FutureisNow said:

Good idea. I take a liver detox but never the less ?

Brandon Green

It doesn't hurt, especially if you're taking multiple compounds, to be sure there are no harmful drug-interactions as well.

Liver detox is something of a red herring as if enough liver cells are killed they tend to be replaced by fiberous tissue.

If the detox (milk thistle?) could detoxify the substance you're taking, then the substance would be inactivated and have no good or bad effect. Usually it just gives the liver more work to do. Toxicity is dosage dependent and these side effects may (or may not) be occuring. A blood test just a precaution to find out.

Do you not experience any DOMS when taking both the CM and this? Or if you do, after a heavy workout does it last 24 hours, 48 or longer?

Really ? Milk thistle inactivates the substance one's taking ? My Russian sprint coach friend told me that the Soviets regularly used a liver detox (containing milk thistle) while on oral roids. Hardly any DOMS with Bulbine.

Brandon Green

I know almost nothing about steroids. But my point is that if it could "detoxify" the substance, the substance would become inert and have no effect. The only way it could have an effect would be if only harmful metabolites of the substance are converted into something less harmful. And that I have no idea about this in regards to Milk Thistle and Bulbine (or Steroids). And there is no magic chemical that will work against every harmful substance and metabolite. This is why we have a liver with dozens if not hundreds of detoxifying pathways. But even it can be overwhelmed. Therefore take care of it and don't shoot yourself in the liver. :D

\

cccp22

Hello all,

Since reading coaches response concerning aerobic fitness and strength/power levels i am just beginning to incorporate

running into my workout schedule. Right now i am training 4x per week and rotating my workouts akin to the GB's workout schedule(which after much trial and error is working better than anything i can devise on my own). This Bulbine is really great

and i am sure that i recover faster than i would otherwise. My joints have finally adapted to to the stress of a palms down tuck back lever(which at 250 i don't consider too shabby). I will start my running at 3 miles per week and see how it benefits me (and how i adapt).

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

The running should help a lot, as long as you keep your heart rate low, like 120 or so for your age group. This will help enlarge your heart chambers and lead to something crazy like a 30-60% INCREASE in the volume of blood pumped per heartbeat. These changes tend to take 12-16 weeks to take effect, and I do not know how much further adaptation goes. That's what low intensity cardio does for you, and that is why it is called cardio. It literally improves the functioning of your blood pumping system.

Higher intensity stuff increases mitochondrial count in the aerobic fibers, and that is only necessary once every 72 hours in order to ride the peak of the training effect! Pretty neat, huh. Twice a week tabatas or whatever you like combined with much slower aerobic activity, to include running, walking, biking, whatever, just keep your HR at 120-ish, for 2-3 other days a week will give you the maximum benefits for your endurance. Seriously. The only way to enhance endurance beyond that training is to improve power output and use lactic acid buffers, the latter of which will only benefit you for an actual competition and will not significantly enhance your training. You will do more, but there will be the same or less training effect.

cccp22

Hello all,

Had a situation which likely has an easy resolution. After several xr palms down tuck back levers i tried to do some bicep curls

Ouch! Feels better today (2 days ago). Guess i need some more bicep tendon pre-hab ? Keep in mind i weigh 235(lost 15 lbs.).

Oh by the way good mornings have helped my core considerably. Anyone else have this happen to them ?

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

Good mornings are great if done right. You got it, just take your time doing the back levers! Try not being completely horizontal and building up to 60s at a higher angle, and then lower down again and repeat, eventually ending up with a 60s horizontal tucked BL. I believe that you will have a lot more success trying that than just adding in more pre-hab. Sometimes you just have to lower the resistance of the primary exercise and I think this is one of those times.

cccp22

Hello All,

It's been along time since i posted last. Bulbine is really helping me,weight is down to 225. I really am considering getting a electrical stim unit to supplement my gains if anybody has any ideas i would like to see them.If you get the chance check out the article at Sportivny Press.com called(under Misinformation engineering)"Ten sets of what?" (It criticizes the hell out of Poliquin and multi-rep methods for athletes).

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

One thing about Poliquin is that for his athletes he goes out of his way to re-create the benefits of steroids without using steroids. Ultimate supplementation. In a very real way, some of his methods may not be appropriate without such supplementation. I don't know enough to say more about his methods than that. But, they DO work. And, the advanced version of GVT isn't terribly dis-similar from low rep, high set workouts and that is something that works for just about everyone.

cccp22
slizzardman said:
One thing about Poliquin is that for his athletes he goes out of his way to re-create the benefits of steroids without using steroids. Ultimate supplementation. In a very real way, some of his methods may not be appropriate without such supplementation. I don't know enough to say more about his methods than that. But, they DO work. And, the advanced version of GVT isn't terribly dis-similar from low rep, high set workouts and that is something that works for just about everyone.

********* The question that i have is 10 sets of 10 reps appropriate at all for any Oly-style weightlifter(regardless of trying to move up a weight class or not). I would agree with Charniga on this one. About 99% not. I do agree he is trying to get roid like gains.

Wonder what it would have been like in a Soviet weightlifting camp in the 1970's ?(Drugs,adaptogens and at least some good nutrition)?

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

He would probably not have a reasonably advanced O-lifter do the beginner routine, they'd do an intermediate routine with 10x6 and then the 5% routine or a 10x3. That would be a much better program for a well-prepared athlete to focus on.

I'll tell you this much, and I'll grant that I have done so much in regards to changing the way I eat, live and train that GVT in no way can claim full responsibility, but at this point it's almost impossible for me to get sore no matter what I do or how foreign the movement is. I think that having a near-perfect diet has an awful lot to do with that though lol! I definitely feel like my healing rate in my shoulders has been fairly permanently improved due to the vascularizing effects of the sustained and high lactate levels that GVT generated for me. I only did BtN press and scap retractions, but it was fantastic. I didn't gain much of any size, but healing went way up.

cccp22
slizzardman said:
He would probably not have a reasonably advanced O-lifter do the beginner routine, they'd do an intermediate routine with 10x6 and then the 5% routine or a 10x3. That would be a much better program for a well-prepared athlete to focus on.

I'll tell you this much, and I'll grant that I have done so much in regards to changing the way I eat, live and train that GVT in no way can claim full responsibility, but at this point it's almost impossible for me to get sore no matter what I do or how foreign the movement is. I think that having a near-perfect diet has an awful lot to do with that though lol! I definitely feel like my healing rate in my shoulders has been fairly permanently improved due to the vascularizing effects of the sustained and high lactate levels that GVT generated for me. I only did BtN press and scap retractions, but it was fantastic. I didn't gain much of any size, but healing went way up.

******* Maybe i am confused. If mitochondria and circulation are important for healing(and i believe that they are) would

not reps in the 50-60 range be more appropiate.

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

If the rep takes 1 second to perform then yes. If you're doing slower reps, no. The tempo for GVT makes each rep take 5-6 seconds. You are still hitting anaerobic threshold so you are still getting the desired response. Rep numbers don't mean much without the tempo used.

cccp22

Hello

Have not posted in a little while. Have a shoulder problem when bench pressing but i do not think it's the typical one.

Top of left shoulder hurts when benching. Anyone have any idea what that could be ?

Brandon Green