Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Food and Western Disease, New Paleo Diet, and a Documentary

Jay Guindon

Some of you probably saw the studies done on paleo diets I posted not that long ago. As it turns out, one of the authors of the study is a gentleman by the name of Staffan Lindeberg, who is an MD, Phd and associate professor at Lund University in Sweden. He was also a researcher with Loren Cordain. As it turns out he wrote a book on Paleo called Food and Western Disease http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... 97714.html The book carries a hefty price tag but after some consideration I decided to buy it. I have read it once through and am reading it again as there is so much information. I'm sure I will read it many more times. It must be the most exhaustive, highly referenced, balanced work on paleolithic nutrition ever written. It is probably the most fair book written as well as not only does it show all the evidence for a paleolithic diet, it also shows shows all the evidence against it, allowing the reader a unique opportunity to scrutinize paleo from both perspectives. Obviously in the end Dr Lindeberg believes the evidence favours a paleolithic diet and that's what he reccommends, but at 2034 studies cited in the book, mostly focusing on "Randomised Controlled Trials of important clinical events such as death or serious illness, or on significant risk factor" (as stated by the author in the intro), he builds a pretty good case. Having said that, I obviously have not myself read all 2034 studies he references to see if I agree with his conclusion of what the study actually says or whether it is a well designed RCT. Here is his website as well if anyone would like to check out some of his work/writings. http://www.staffanlindeberg.com/

On a similar note, Loren Cordain has written a revised Paleo Diet http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... 13029.html where he clears the air on previous reccommendations such as canola oil and his hard stance against saturated fat as he apparently believes there is evidence available now that shows he may have been wrong about a couple of things. I pre-orered a copy of it when I pre-ordered Robb's book. Kudos to him for admitting to being wrong and citing the new evidence. So many diet dictocrats take a hard line and never change their views regradless of evidence against them, but it seems Prof. Cordain is not one of those people.

There is also a documentary coming out on paleolithic nutrition, and while it has a slightly self righteous sounding title, it may be good. http://perfecthumandiet.us/

Just thought I'd share that for those interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to improve my diet and try going paleo but I must admit that I am a bit confused by all the different books ! :?

For now I think that I'm gonna buy Robb's book (as soon as it is again available) but reading this kind of articles makes me want to reconsider my choice.

Any advice or link to a comparative study of the main paleo books ?

thanks

Seems like Robb's is the best for the lay person and while I haven't read it as it arrived to me to water damaged so I am waiting for a replacement, people also seem to enjoy the humour. I have not read the new paleo diet either as it is not out yet so I cannot comment on that. The Food and Western Disease book is written more like a textbook and is not necessary for anyone who already thinks paleo is a good idea and just wants the info on how to get started. If you're not sold on the paleo idea it is the best book for listing all the evidence for and against paleo (2034 studies referenced) but carries a high price tag.

I would say buy Robb's book.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.