This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100831

Started by Coach Sommer, August 31, 2010 · 25 Replies · 3,257 Views

Coach Sommer

YS8ol0rx1m8

Complete four rounds:

5 Russian Dips

10 PB Dips

15 Swinging Dips

20’ L-sit Walk

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Move immediately from the Russian Dips to the PB Dips.

2) After the PB Dips move immediately to the Swinging Dips.

3) From the Swinging Dips move immediately to the L-sit Walks.

4) The L-sit Walks should be performed with an all out effort. As such, do your very best to not pause during the 20’ of L-sit Walks.

5) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

6) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement

nf46

If I don't have the equipment for p-bar dips, and cannot complete 10 ring dips, would substituting the p-bar dips with a pushup variation be useful, or would a different sub be more appropriate?

Thanks in advance :)

Nick F

Cole Dano

Two high backed chairs will work just fine. I have some bars i can use for dips, but are too short to swing, so i use chairs for that.

The big drawback is that they might want to tip, if you have some thing heavy to put on them it helps, i use kettlebells.

nf46

Thanks :D . I'll try that later

Leandro

I will do this wod at my gym, where there are PBars. But I'm sure there's no way I can do 15 swing dips immediately after doing 5 russian dips and 10 dips. Is it ok to have a 10-20 seconds of breathing before moving to swing dips or these are suposed to be performed as a sequence? I mean, it's 30 reps, if done all non stoping.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD

4 rounds

Russian dips 5,5,5,4+++

PB dips 10,8+2,6+4,6+4

Swinging dips (1/2 ROM on dip) 12,8+4,6+6,6+6

1 leg L sit walk (alternate leg each round) 20' x 4

*triceps were fried.

*nearly got all 4 sets of Russian dips, just couldn't lock out that last Rep on the last set. This was a huge improvement for me.

*swinging dips just crush me. Improved over last time, but when my arms are already so fatigued these just seem so damn hard. Also can't really come up with a good sub to meet the Rep requirement, so I attempted half ROM dips and even they were extremely tough.

AJ Ruffer

And this is how it went for me:

Four rounds:

5 XR Dips

10 Chair Dips

15 Parallette Pushups (switched to hands on ground last two sets, wow!)

20' Ag Walk

Finish: 2x10 Wrist Pushup - was too smoked to do these properly, so did them on my knees.

--AJ

Justin Kyle

Hey guys, this was my first WOD!

Here is what I did:

-Warm up with the FSP

4 rounds of:

-5 russian dips (I managed to get 5 each round!)

-10 pb dips (10, 8+2, 6+4, 5+5)

-15 swinging dips (I couldn't do these well at all so I substituted 60 sec of support swings for each round)

-L-sit walks - 1 leg up and one leg on a frisbee and switched legs each round x 4

2x10 wrist pushups (could hardly to these because of fatigue so I did just one set on my knees)

This was really tough! Swinging dips were the hardest thing besides those stinkin' L-sit walks! Great workout

Freeflyer

Would doing 15 XR dips and 15 XR swinging dips (with a smaller ROM) be an acceptable substitute since I don't have bars or chairs that will properly support me? PBs and stahl bars are the only equipment I still need (for pretty much any GB or CF WOD) :/

Also, is it really better to do 1 leg L-sit walks than to hold an XR support L-sit?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

15s Samson Stretch

10 Shoulder Dislocate

2 x 13m Inch Worms

Fundamental Static Positions:

3 x 1 Planche (Advanced Frog; 17s, 20s, 18s)

WOD:

4 Rounds; not for time:

5 Russian Dips

10 Regular Dips

15 Ring Swings (since I got no Parallel Bars)

20' L-Sit Hops (this is supposed to be a L-Sit Walk... not there yet lol; couldn;t do ag walks either because of non sliding floor)

Rest 2 minutes.

Finished with 2x10 Wrist Pushups, Stretch.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
ooden said:
Hey guys, this was my first WOD!

Here is what I did:

-Warm up with the FSP

4 rounds of:

-5 russian dips (I managed to get 5 each round!)

-10 pb dips (10, 8+2, 6+4, 5+5)

-15 swinging dips (I couldn't do these well at all so I substituted 60 sec of support swings for each round)

-L-sit walks - 1 leg up and one leg on a frisbee and switched legs each round x 4

2x10 wrist pushups (could hardly to these because of fatigue so I did just one set on my knees)

This was really tough! Swinging dips were the hardest thing besides those stinkin' L-sit walks! Great workout

AHA A FRISBEE gotta try that next!

Mats Trane

Anyone have à good sugsetion of what to use instead of p-bars for the russian and swinging dips? Tried chairs bit they are not stable enough

Max Johnson

Bah, I desperately need some makeshift parallel bars so I can do this kind of thing properly.

Workout:

Warmup:

Starjumps, jumprope.

FSP warmup:

2 x (15s Bent Straddle + 15s Low L Hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x (15s Bent L-sit + 15s German Hang)

WOD - 4 rounds (each with 3 mins rest) of:

5 RF Jumping Russian Dip

10 RF Negative Dips

15 "PB" Swing Dips Forward

20 RF Tuck L-sit Walk

2x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Notes:

  • [*:1sdtehkt]RF means in between two Raised Flat surfaces (stools for the first two elements, chair seats for the last) and my "PB" were the (uncomfortably elliptical) backs of two chairs, which weren't particularly stable. Please advise on my "RF" notation - labelling dips as "FX" just seemed confusing.
    [*:1sdtehkt]I wasn't training anywhere near as effectively as I might on PB - only the negative dips were done with some semblance of form. I couldn't find any props allowing me to rest my forearms down properly in Russian Dips or be stable in Swing dips, and the Tuck L-sit walks were actually walking forwards and backwards on the seats of two chairs (I did 20 "reps" instead).
    [*:1sdtehkt]Are Ag Walks actually a recommended substitution for L-sit walks? If so, I'll try that next time.
    [*:1sdtehkt]Is it even advisable to do dips on flat surfaces? I'm guessing maybe not, as my wrists hurt slightly now.
    [*:1sdtehkt]My right shoulder hurt a little too during Low L Hang today - urgh, I seem to be terrible at FL-type work.

Freeflyer

Today was a sweat angel day :o

Warm Up:

  • [*:2svaqqaq]500m row @ 2min pace
    [*:2svaqqaq]10 shoulder dislocates
    [*:2svaqqaq]8 wall extensions
    [*:2svaqqaq]3 x 20 sec German Hang
    [*:2svaqqaq]Superset 4x15sec advanced tuck front lever/4x10sec low straight leg L sit on Parallettes
    [*:2svaqqaq]Superset 4x15sec tuck back lever/4x10sec (very) bent knee MSH

GB WOD:

  • 4 rounds:
    [*:2svaqqaq]5 XR dips
    [*:2svaqqaq]10 bar dips (10, 8-2, 5-5, 5-3-2)
    [*:2svaqqaq]Rounds 1 & 3 - 15 XR support swings, as big as possible
    [*:2svaqqaq]Rounds 2 & 4 - 15 bar swing dips with very little ROM in the dips
    [*:2svaqqaq]20' L-sit 1 leg L-sit walks, alternating
    [*:2svaqqaq]2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Thoughts:

  • [*:2svaqqaq]MSH was very tough. My knees were generally bent closer than 90 to my thighs. I also don't think I was able to maintain my hips in front of my hands, so I would thrust them out and as they came back I would thrust them out again. Made for a kinda rocking motion, but I never let them travel behind my hands at least.
    [*:2svaqqaq]Dip bars were way too short (just handles really) to do russian dips, so I figured ring dips would be a good sub.
    [*:2svaqqaq]I chose to do the XR support swing for 2 rounds because the swinging is still very awkward to me, and to be honest, i think I got more out it than the poor swing dips I did on the handles.
    [*:2svaqqaq]I am certain my l-sit walks were just terrible. My leg on the cardboard was bent (it wasn't sliding too well on the grass when I tried to keep my leg straight) and my hips were way in front of my hands. I did keep the leg that was up as high as it would go at least.
    [*:2svaqqaq]My chest, shoulders and triceps are fried. That last round was miserable.

Josh Schmitter

Hey all, going to do this one tomorrow, but just wanted to let everyone know, if they didn't already, that Slizzardman has some slightly bigger than normal parallettes. And by slightly bigger I mean about 5ft x 5ft as far as I remember. Also, if i'm not mistaken,he made them out of pipe from a hardware store...which is what I will be doing very soon. Any extra info and/or a link to specifics on that would be killer slizz.

-tanstaafl-

Cody Clark

Strange I didn't really that much pain in this workout of day not much at all. I even did the dips with a twenty pound vest on and nothing. Must be doing something wrong are you suppose to go fast or slow in your PB dips or at your own speed. Need to step it up a notch nex time.

Joshua Naterman
Nick_EOD said:
Would doing 15 XR dips and 15 XR swinging dips (with a smaller ROM) be an acceptable substitute since I don't have bars or chairs that will properly support me? PBs and stahl bars are the only equipment I still need (for pretty much any GB or CF WOD) :/

Also, is it really better to do 1 leg L-sit walks than to hold an XR support L-sit?

Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with that! They will simply be harder.

Leandro

I had several problems with this wod, I don't know how to scale it to be able to perform that much repetitions.

I did 4x:

5 block assisted russian dips

2x5 Regular dips

3x5 swing dips

penguin walks at pbars (just in the first 2 rounds)

2x10 wrist pushups with knees

obs: I can't do russian dips AT ALL. The assistance in the transition I used with the feet on a block made almost all the exercise for me....

Tarun Suri

I'm so thankful tomorrow is a rest day. My shoulders, triceps, and elbows are done for. Here's what I did:

5-3-2-5 russian dips. They were negatives only with 50% of them being 3/4 rom of negatives. I could only do it while making an L with my legs. Still don't know how to ascend.

10-3-2-2 PB dips. I've never been strong in this department.

7-2-1-1 swinging dips. Still not parallel with my legs but this is a huge improvement.

15-12-10-2 feet one legged Lsit walks. Used a plastic lid for tupper ware. It was far too hard to focus on both walking and abdominal compression. As a result, my hands were far behind my waist. It was brutal on shoulders and surprisingly challenging on the elbows. I will substitute to AG walks until my shoulders are better conditions in this extension position.

Also small tweaky pain started in my right shoulder after coming out of my front levers in the warmup.

Finished with 2x10 knee liked wrist pushups.

Edit: my iphone only originally posted only half of my post.

Nicholas Herreros

Warmup:

Shoulder dislocates: 2x10 sets of regular grip

2X10 sets of dorsal grip

Straddle L holds

Leg stretches on stall bar

WOD: 4 rounds

5 XR dips

10 dips with hands behind back on bench and feet in stall bars

15 swinging kicks on parallets (as per Gymgreg video)

20' ag walks

2x10 wrist pushups

I didn't have the proper equipment to do the russian dips so i'm not sure if i can perform them yet.

Don't have access to PB bars. I'm thinking about building a set if i cant find a playground with something suitable.

Performed ag walks for the first time. I've tried the L-sit walks before but my arms are too short and i have a nagging

injury in my left shoulder from playing softball that keeps me from performing them properly at this time but, for now i think AG walks are going to be sufficient for some time.

Post workout, feeling great.

Thanks Slizzardman for the tip on keeping shoulders & elbows aligned on the bulgarian rows, I'm sore has heck and loving it!

Saber2

Bye bye Triceps :D

4 rounds of

5 xr russian dips with assistance

10 xr dips (10, 5+2+1+2, 10 w/ assistance, 10 w/ assistance)

2 sets of swinging dips on chairs with paralletes..very unstable. 2 sets of swinging kicks

Only 3 rounds of 20' 1 leg agwalks changing legs at 10'

2x10 Wrist pushups 1 set against the wall, the other on the stairs.

Dips is an excercise I am fairly comfortable with but this WOD humbles the hell out of my supposed strength. One set after the other and ending on swinging which is the hardest variation for me at the moment even when scaled down is just brutal. Overall I like the idea of doing the Russian dips on the xr with assistance. This will help lead to my MU that I am so desparate at achieving. On the last set of russian dips I tried doing them with my feet being assisted in front of me. This was very challenging that I am not sure I did them right at all. However, I learned that it will be a suitable progression when the time comes. Swinging dips will have to remain swinging kicks until I can find a suitable place with parallel bars. There is no way the misses would allow me to have a set in the condo. However when I buy a house, I will probably build some outdoors. But for now the paralletes will have to do. Plus if I can do them on rings that would be better but right now that goal is further down the road than I would like, but at least I know where it is. :D

Wheelson

hmm not gonna lie this on was a bit of a challenge to the pushing mechanisms.

I substituted the russian dips with kind of a ring equivalent. I put the rings at a height where if my knees were touching the floor I was about 5/8's through the muscle up transition, so I would start in support, lower as far as I could, let my knees brush the ground (or touch if I went too quickly), and would lift myself off the floor with my own upper body strength and push back to support. -this could actually be an awesome tool for developing my muscle up transition! :D

so I did four rounds of

- 5 ...not quite sure what to call them... pseudo russian ring dips?

-10 dips on the L in my counter top

-15 swinging dips on the rings... these were hell

-20' l-sit walk with one leg on a Frisbee one in the air (switched at the 10' marker)

so it's the next day and my chest is quite sore, but i think my triceps can bare it

Joshua Naterman

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that this kicked my triceps and elbows!

4 full russian dips, 1 just elbows to bar; 10 dips; 8 swinging dips, 10 feet PB L sit walk

5 full russian dips; 10 dips; 7-8 swinging dips, 10 feet PB L-sit walk

5 full russian dips; 10 dips; 7-8 swinging dips

10 dips, 5-6 swinging dips.

Yea, I was pretty shot that last round. My elbows felt like a 4th round of Russians would have been bad, and I literally almost fell off the bars during my swinging dips lol!

My first 3 rounds there was no break between Russian dips and PB dips. I just did my 5th Russian and then did 10 dips right away. I did take about a 45s between my 10 dips and my swinging dips for all the rounds. My PB are not the best for L sit walking, unfortunately. Yet another reason for the upcoming redesign.

I would recommend that you use4x4s OR doubled up 2x4 for your uprights. There's no price difference when you take into account the screws and all that to double up the 2x4, so the 4x4 is preferable in my opinion. Anyhow, you can use the same for your base. You just drill holes for the pipes and then use a rasp to make then JUUUUST big enough, and then you drill maybe a 3/8 hole through the upright and the inserted pipe so that you can insert a pin to keep the bar from spinning. I recommend using a hex top bolt and not a cut carriage bolt, but that's my preference. That's really it. I highly recommend using appropriate fasteners for the base stabilizers, and making a single base for each side unless multiple people are going to use the bars.

Cole Dano

Kept it simple-

Warm Up- TGUs / Indian Club Swinging

4 Rounds:

PB Dips 5x

Band Assisted PB Explosive Dips 10x

Chair Swing Type Thing 15 total

apx 10' L leg push

dips have improved considerably, first round like this 8(?) weeks ago 5 x 4 was out of the question, today was quite reasonable.

Joshua Naterman
Cody Clark said:
Strange I didn't really that much pain in this workout of day not much at all. I even did the dips with a twenty pound vest on and nothing. Must be doing something wrong are you suppose to go fast or slow in your PB dips or at your own speed. Need to step it up a notch nex time.

This is a fast day, so don't worry about the tempo. As long as you're in control, it's whatever works for you.

For me these days are never painful, they just get to a point where my arms won't do it anymore, and it's ALWAYS in the swinging dips. I get to around 8 and it's KAPUT! lol! I did better than last time though! Much better form.