Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High fat animal based diet

Nicholas Sortino

Nicholas Sortino

I am just curious if anyone else out there is on a high fat diet (I hate this word so from now on i will use WOE - way of eating)?

My WOE probably consists of roughly 60-70% fat by calories and easily 40% of that is saturated. I only consume maybe 10% of my calories from carbs, and these are entirely in a post workout shake.

I would also venture to say that at least 90% of what I eat is animal products. Generally I don't eat any fruits, grains, nuts, legumes etc and very little vegetables. In fact the only vegetables I eat on a regular basis is the 2 scoops of wheat grass/veggie powder that goes into my PWO shake. Along with a little coconut oil, macnut oil, and whatever artificial ingredients are in my protein, these are the only non animal products I eat.

My diet generally consists of large amounts of eggs, steak, lamb, bacon, ground meat, half&half (normal milk has too much sugar, and I like the cream) and raw cheeses outside of the aforementioned PWO shake. Everything is cooked in either grass-fed butter or grass-fed tallow (if it isn't grilled). I will occasionally marinate in olive oil, but I don't typically use it outside of that. Most (around 75%) of my meat is grass-fed and the eggs are pastured and not fed and disgusting soy and only small amounts of grain. Milk Products are grass-fed and Pasteurized at the lowest legal temps.

Before the outcries of how I am going to die of atherosclerosis within the next year, I would like to note that I don't do this flippantly. Since I have started eating this way my lipid profile has improved dramatically, my blood pressure has gone down, I have more energy throughout the day and even during workouts, and my general health has improved a lot. I don't get sick almost at all anymore, when I used to get bad colds on a regular basis.

I am not starting this thread to have an argument on the merits or detriments of this type of WOE, merely to see if I am not alone. I have done more than my fair share of research into nutrition and have my own results (and the results of others I know who eat this way) to go off of. So please don't try to sway me, as it will be an effort in futility. I won't argue, but I won't agree either.

There are many paleo advocates on this forum (I am one) and although everyone has defined their own little permutation of this particular way of eating, I think most of us proportionally eat large amounts of fat and protein and low amounts of carbs.

Nicholas Sortino
There are many paleo advocates on this forum (I am one) and although everyone has defined their own little permutation of this particular way of eating, I think most of us proportionally eat large amounts of fat and protein and low amounts of carbs.

I actually find this surprising since most of the "paleo" people I have met through crossfit don't actually have a clue what it means. The majority of them still ate lean meat and had a lot of fruits and nuts instead of limiting them to smaller amounts. It is nice to hear how forward (or backward really!) thinking a lot of the people here really are.

I wanted to clarify that I don't actually demonize fruits or veggies or anything, i just rarely feel the need to eat them. Some days I will just for variety steam some asparagus with a steak, have a small salad (my wife makes crazy salads), or even a few raspberries and/or blackberries in some heavy cream if i feel the need for a desert. I just merely feel they aren't actually necessary for good health.

Well, I don't pretend to speak for the whole community here :) but if you read through the various posts in the Nutrition subforum you will notice that many Paleo-people consume large amounts of fats (Ido Portal, one of the moderators, even uses high-fat PWO shakes). Most of it seems to be plant-based (i.e. avocados, nuts, coconut milk etcetera) and from fatty fish, though. I personally prefer to eat lean meat, lots of veggies, and all the rest simply because I like it but I'm quite openminded and as long as another way of eating provides measurable health benefits, who am I to judge? I think the most important thing is not getting caught up in nutritional dogmas.

I actually find this surprising since most of the "paleo" people I have met through crossfit don't actually have a clue what it means. The majority of them still ate lean meat and had a lot of fruits and nuts instead of limiting them to smaller amounts.

A high-fat diet doesn't preclude eating lots of lean meat and veggies as long as fats (whatever their origin) make up a large portion of your caloric intake. Although of course varying from individual to individual, Paleo-style diets will always be proportionally rather high in protein and fat by necessity (since grains etc. are left out) so I don't think it would be necessary to reduce the amount of lean meat, nuts, etcetera. Rather, increase the amount of desired fats.

Chris Hansen

Sounds like your diet is working for you.

Personally, I love fat. I eat a lot of veggies too but I don't shy away from fat and my cholesterol levels are the envy of many.

You might want to consider more veggies though. The vitamins and stuff are important.

I would say I eat a high fat high meat diet. I generally will have two large leafy green salads a day and that is all the vegetables I eat. I usually have an apple with lot's of cinnamon on it once a day as well. The rest of my diet is grassfed beef, eggs, bacon, and coconut oil, and a little bit of olive oil. I don't eat nuts or seeds or grains. Sometimes I have grassfed dairy but if you've seen my previous post I am unsure of continuing this.

The most important thing about any diet is that it improves all your health markers. The second most important thing is that once you find a diet that improves blood lipids, HBA1c, glucose, bodyfat, etc. you can stick to it. I would call myself paleo but I am most certainly not dogmatic about it. It just seems to be a diet that has improved my health markers better than any other I've tried.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.